Has anyone here watched Friends From College on Netflix?
by Tex Francisco (2017-07-17 17:14:49)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I can't get over of how formulaic it is. It's about a group of 6 friends (including 1 black guy, 1 gay guy, and 1 Asian lady) from Harvard who live in NYC. Do writers follow this same basic formula (show located in NY, LA, Chicago and with certain cast demographics) because it's all they know, or is this what consumers want? Would a show about 6 friends (including, let's say, one or two Hispanics) from UGA who now live in Atlanta not sell?

It's a pretty impressive cast
by DakotaDomer  (2017-07-18 07:48:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I hear it's another show full of terrible people being terrible to each other. I watched the first episode and don't see any reason to disagree.

I'm Sorry on Tru TV looks like American Catastrophe without a strong male lead.

token characters to attract larger audiences
by discndav  (2017-07-18 07:28:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Santana did this with his Supernatural cd.

Netflix builds shows around their consumer analytics.
by WilfordBrimley  (2017-07-17 21:02:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is how, for instance, House of Cards was created; they looked at their selection analytics, customer surveys, and other data and determined that Kevin Spacey - the preferred actor - and politics - the preferred venue - were what their subscriber based wanted. It's not surprising that they'd build a show exactly like that.

The only Netflix show that I really like is Narcos and that is because it's the only one I've found that comes across as organic. Master of None is fine, but it's just Ansari being himself.

What's the demographic for the The Fall with
by TWO  (2017-07-17 22:52:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gillian Anderson?

People like shows about serial killers *
by NavyJoe  (2017-07-18 10:05:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And yet ... just three short seasons of Hannibal *
by captaineclectic  (2017-07-18 12:33:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll hold out hope for more... *
by navyjoe  (2017-07-18 14:50:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their other content model is licensing.
by WilfordBrimley  (2017-07-17 22:57:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They did the same thing with The Last Kingdom - probably the only other Netflix show that I'll go out of my way to watch - as they did with The Fall. They licensed it from an overseas producer (RTE One in The Fall's case; BBC in The Last Kingdom's case). They do that a lot with content from abroad.

Virtually all of their original content is, or at least used to be, analytics-based.

If one has Netflix, one watches too much television
by ACross  (2017-07-17 18:42:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry, forgot to include spoilers in my subject line.

But you're all a bunch of losers.

I only subscribe for all the Marvel shows *
by KelleyCook  (2017-07-18 11:38:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not a one of these guys has ever seen the light of day *
by 84david  (2017-07-18 11:07:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does "having Netflix"include the stock?
by Queensman  (2017-07-17 18:58:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably the worst non-buy of my life. Exactly one year ago, I had an alert set up on my trading app to send me a text if Netflix dropped below $85. I did and sent me a message while I was sitting on the beach in North Carolina. I immediately went on my app and attempted to execute a buy. The reception was too spotty and wouldn't go through. I thought "no worries", I'll buy as soon as I get back to the beach house. I completely forgot about it once I got to the house and the rest of vacation.

Turns out that was a temporary dip. And as it blows past $175 today in post market trading, I go and kick myself in the ass one more time.

limit orders, etc are for chumps and day traders
by vivaflanner  (2017-07-17 19:48:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you like the stock, buy it. If you think a stock is overpriced, sell it.

I can maybe agree on limit orders.
by four pillars  (2017-07-17 21:43:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But if you have a job that doesn't allow every day monitoring of stock prices and market developments then limit orders, stop losses, etc. are a good way to mitigate risk. Though if you're in that position you should probably turn your trading decisions over to someone that is able to monitor the markets on a regular basis.

Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2017-07-17 18:51:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am sure I am forgetting another Sunday night show.

I have to agree with you here. I heard 4 references today about GOT, and in years prior, those same people swore about the other Sunday night shows that I listed. I couldn't care less.

Never watched a single episode of any
by ACross  (2017-07-17 18:55:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None interested me in the slightest.

Only one thing to say to that
by Shifty  (2017-07-17 19:35:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Make it a gif and you'd really be hip *
by ACross  (2017-07-17 21:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I will keep that in mind for next time
by Shifty  (2017-07-18 12:23:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish Fletch was on Netflix *
by beancounter  (2017-07-17 20:18:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It opens with a sex scene, like most new Netflix shows.
by Revue Party  (2017-07-17 18:12:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The one difference here is that I'm hoping a Gerry-Cheever's-Mask-Wearing, Light-Sabre-Brandishing serial killer shows up to slice the cheating couple to bits, starting with their genitals.

But yeah, you're pretty much right.

It's also tiresome to be asked to root for largely shitty people again. The best characters also happen to be the best actors: Fred Savage, Robyn Sparkles and the bygones guy from Ally McBeal. The other three vary from useless to reprehensible.

I saw it and was unimpressed. Great cast but the writing
by thersh  (2017-07-17 18:12:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is tired.

Agree. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2017-07-17 20:29:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Speaking of tired writing, have you seen Gypsy?
by Revue Party  (2017-07-17 18:14:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure one of those scripts would have survived my writers' workshop without getting hammered. Naomi Watts and Billy Crudup do such an amazing job of acting you almost (almost) forget just how shitty the script is.

No I missed that one. I did try Will Arnett's new show and
by thersh  (2017-07-17 18:36:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was left similarly limp. Good grief it was slow and unfunny.

Watch BoJack Horseman instead. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2017-07-17 22:58:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I gave up on that, too.
by Revue Party  (2017-07-17 18:49:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a point when a character is too big an asshole. I liked the woman and she could have been a great character. But no.

There is way too much TV "content"
by vivaflanner  (2017-07-17 18:03:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and FX plus the networks and their dreck.

Little common ground these days. Need a curator to find the stuff worth your time.

Netflix and Amazon have vast amounts of money, and I think they are chasing too few good ideas.

What is this Atlanta that you speak of?
by EricCartman  (2017-07-17 17:23:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Everyone in NYC

A fantastic show on FX.
by NDBass  (2017-07-17 17:32:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know that's not where you were going, but it really is a fantastic show.

I love that show *
by civil_engr05  (2017-07-18 08:20:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cool. I'll check it out. *
by EricCartman  (2017-07-17 17:36:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.