from 1969's "English Rose" album, "Albatross."
by mkovac (2017-07-17 11:48:28)
Edited on 2017-07-17 14:08:08
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Hearkening back to purely instrumental songs from the 1950s and 1960s (mostly songs like "Topsy," "Stranger on the Shore," "Tequila," and a number of surf songs), this - in my opinion - is the loveliest of all.

Peter Green, from the original Fleetwood Mac makes this instrumental hauntingly lovely. It inspired a number of other hits.

I remember buying Fleetwood Mac's album "Engish Rose" because I wanted to hear the original "Black Magic Woman." It was a hard British blues group at the time. The last track on side two was "Albatross," and I found myself coming home to our off-campus house at ND and putting on a few albums, and usually endling by opening the windows and turning Albatross up loud. Polish working class kids and African American kids in the neighborhood would look up and smile and slow their pace as they walked by to the haunting melody wafting from our clapboard 1920s house on Pennsylvania Avenue that turned down and under the railcrossing on its way to dead end into Lincolnway West.

Excellent *
by drmurray  (2017-07-17 13:10:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for posting. It reminded me that I their live album
by so-it-goes  (2017-07-17 12:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when they played at Boston Tea Party in 1970. I was still at ND then, about to graduate (as were you) that June and go aboard my ship i was assigned to. I was lucky that that October of ’70 we were in the Boston Yards dry dock for repairs and we spent a few months in that great city. met my wife a month later and our first date, after meeting her at a party on Vets Day ’70, that she and her three roommates held and had invited several junior officers form the ship to, was to see Mountain @ the Boston Tea party. Great scene, great memories. I still hold that music close but she, not so much any longer, though she still hears it blasting from my den on occasion.

Are is a link from wikipedia about the song and early info on Fleetwood mac.

I never saw the original group but have seen them during their recent tour with all of the modern members.

Both versions of the group are good.!

Now to find the album you discuss at the next record show here.

Just found this compilation album online on "All Music"
by so-it-goes  (2017-07-17 13:14:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link is for All Music and their write-up on the album. I use All Music to search for groups / their albums since it provides a write-up about the group / alum, etc. For checking other issues of albums / vinyl that is, and/or value I go to Discogs. ,

follow-up "The Making of Albatross"
by mkovac  (2017-07-17 15:31:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

enjoy.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.