No, Eight Men Out (the book) did not mix in fiction. At all
by sprack (2017-07-17 10:14:25)
Edited on 2017-07-17 10:21:37
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: What is the best book on the Black Sox scandal?  posted by ndgotrobbedin97

I don't think you'll find a better book on the Black Sox.

The movie is my favorite baseball movie ever, because it followed the book, and was about as accurate as the movies get on such things, right down to the details.

One of many, many examples: in the opening scene, Eddie Collins is at bat, and takes a called second strike. Whereupon he takes a wad of gum stuck to the button of his cap and puts it in his mouth and chews it. I read a book about baseball superstitions as a kid and that was Collins's. I thought immediately, hey, thins might be really good! It's the little things . . .

And they had Joe Jackson hitting lefthanded. It bugged the crap out of me in Field of Dreams that they had him hitting from the wrong side of the plate. You might as well have had Babe Ruth hitting righthanded. OK, that book and movie were fiction, of course, but still.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.