Winter comes for the Freys indeed
by El Kabong (2017-07-16 22:20:41)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Arya Stark drops the mic.

Did everyone catch the Jorah Mormont sighting?
by Jvan  (2017-07-17 12:10:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sam came across him (at least his diseased arm) in the Citadel.

We had the captions running and they had his name
by 1978Irish  (2017-07-17 13:28:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with the question to Sam. Otherwise we would not have recognized him other than the diseased arm.

His profile was easily recognizable. *
by NDBass  (2017-07-17 16:56:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His name was in the opening credits
by HTownND  (2017-07-17 14:20:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was keeping my eyes out for him. I assumed he was going to be hanging out in Dragonstone like Sméagol waiting for his precious.

and thanks to Reddit nerds
by GailStanwyck  (2017-07-17 12:20:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we know why he's there.

"The Big Westerosi Book of Exposition"
by shawno3  (2017-07-17 14:20:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent.

Wish I had thought of that name when I was complaining about Sam finding the answer to the dragon glass question (which he specifically went to Old Town to answer) the very night he first gained access to the restricted section. And I didn't realize that that same book, on the facing page, may also supply the cure for greyscale. Lucky break for Samwell and the world.

I wonder what grand answers he'll get if he turns the page? A DNA test showing that Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar?

Ahhh, this also answers my question below *
by Jvan  (2017-07-17 12:30:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well it makes sense
by wcnitz  (2017-07-17 12:34:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was surrounded by Dragonglass in her childhood home - would have been easy to come in contact with it.

In the books Stannis talked about bringing in every healer imaginable from every corner of the world with no luck. GRRM never went into detail on how the illness was stopped from spreading.

Yes and
by wcnitz  (2017-07-17 12:20:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's clear at this point that Dragonglass will be the cure for grayscale.

Did we ever learn how Princess Shireen was treated? *
by Jvan  (2017-07-17 12:26:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Children are more easily saved from it
by wcnitz  (2017-07-17 12:30:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An adult getting it is considered to be 100% fatal.

She wasn't really cured per se, as in the books the wildlings talk about how any kid who has it should be burned because they're tainted no matter what - implying that Shireen was still stricken with it, not just scarred. It was just dormant.

Can't miss that voice. *
by nitschke  (2017-07-17 12:14:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The entire incident scared the hell out of Samwell. *
by Hati Hijau  (2017-07-17 16:34:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Liked it generally but two things bugged me
by shawno3  (2017-07-17 11:39:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The biggest obstacle facing the showrunners is to wrap up the central plot and enough of the myriad story threads without seeming like they're rushing it in the final episodes, especially if the pacing suddenly accelerates from the prior pace of the series.

In general I thought they did a decent job with the pacing of this episode and overall I liked it. That said, I take umbrage with two elements from this episode that both reek of Deus ex machina:

1) How did Euron build 1,000 badass ships in the time it took Theon and his sister to sail to Mereen to meet up with Dany? If they could build an entire ship in a day, every day, it would take them 3 years. To make matters worse, the Iron Islands are not exactly covered in good timber. Just sourcing the materials would probably take a year.

2) Sam sure got lucky that one of the first 3 books he selected out of the seemingly thousands of books in the restricted section held exactly the answer he's looking for. It appears he solved the monumental problem with a single all nighter. Kind of reminds me of how I tried to get through college and law school...but I wasn't attempting to save the world.

Sometime travel on GOT takes forever - Sam's trip to the
by 1978Irish  (2017-07-17 11:59:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Citadel - and sometimes it happens instantly - Varys goes from Meereen to Dorn and back in a matter of days.

It looks like Sam will find what he needs in the library in a matter of days when it should take months or even years.

Sam left the Wall before Jon was killed. Unless he got the news about Jon dying and defeating Ramey, he should think Jon is still at the wall.

Arya got from Bravos to the Twins in record time. I am guessing she will turn around and get to Winterfell quickly.

It seems like most things should take much more time. It is a pretty minor issue now. They have to finish the story and will probably have to take some liberties. It is sci-fi/fantasy after all.

No problem with time warps. What takes forever is
by Hati Hijau  (2017-07-17 16:36:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cersei getting just what she deserves.

Arya is headed to Kings Landing
by Jvan  (2017-07-17 12:07:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's what she told Ed Sheehan, anyway. The Stark reunion will have to wait a bit.

I think she will hear that Sansa and/or Jon are at
by 1978Irish  (2017-07-17 13:30:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Winterfell and turn around.

Nope
by HTownND  (2017-07-17 14:16:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's going to go kill Cersei, who's standing on the "Neck" section of the map, while she wears a Jaime faceless man mask, and takes him out.

Cersei isn't making it out of this season alive.

Jamie was...
by iudomer  (2017-07-17 14:49:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

standing on the Fingers. He is the Valonqar.

Correct
by wcnitz  (2017-07-17 14:54:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jaime is the 'younger brother' - because he came out first when they were born. And he'll probably die with her, as he's said so himself.

No one else will kill Cersei, and Arya can't wear Jaime's face unless he's dead.

I'm sticking to it
by HTownND  (2017-07-17 15:06:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arya can absolutely kill Jaime, take his face, then take our Cersei, in very quick succession.

I think what Cersei was told will have her keeping a watchful eye on Jaime, but she'll feel comfortable as he does things throughout this season to assuage concerns, then bam, just when she's comfortable that it isn't him, he'll be killed and will lose his face to take our Cersei, when she least expects it.

Plus, the bald eunuch has laid the tracks that valnoqar can also be a female. And Jon has referred to her as the "little sister" throughout.

"until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear"

What does she hold dear at this point? Jaime and power. We all thought it was Dany, but it could be Arya too.

Re: #2, he was looking for specific info
by Wooderson  (2017-07-17 11:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a lot of books in there, but he was somewhat pointed in the direction he needed to go by the old coroner Maester, and he could probably deduce what books would focus on the weapons he needed to research upon reading their titles.

Agreed that that's a lot of ships to put together quickly, though. Especially on an island chain with few trees, supposedly.

I imagine he stole a few of them?

On your last point
by shawno3  (2017-07-17 14:02:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm hoping that we find out that he "acquired" the ships (or at least some of the ships) some other way. He was the world's most successful pirate after all - maybe he had a network of mercenary ships or something.

That said, it seemed like they took pains to show cinematically that all the ships were new, matching, and badass.

Ships for the taking
by Wooderson  (2017-07-18 08:39:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By my count, he can steal:

The redwyne fleet (biggest navy in westeros, I think)

Anything from the North (not as many, but maybe swing by Seagard? I dunno)

Pirates ships taken in his travels

Other than those, not sure where he'd steal more from. Could've certainly built a few, IIRC the North isn,t doing much protecting of the west coast at the moment, but still, that's a lot of boats.

Certainly some paid pirates along for the ride, it would seem.

Edit: forgot about the books, aurane waters has a ton of boats, and eventually absconds with them, no? There should be plenty of sell sword boats for now.

From the books
by wcnitz  (2017-07-18 10:34:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Manderly has a massive fleet.

Next week's previews
by rflor  (2017-07-17 09:38:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some interesting tidbits in there, including the alignment of House Martell to Dany's team.

They were already on her team
by wcnitz  (2017-07-17 12:28:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was in the finale last season.

The big news in the preview is the return of Nymeria.

Extremely surprised they showed that in a preview.
by Wooderson  (2017-07-17 12:46:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would've set the internet on fire if they'd kept it a surprise.

Well, it's already there in the books
by wcnitz  (2017-07-17 12:48:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So it wouldn't have been too big a bombshell outside of TV-only folks.

Are we going to get
by HTownND  (2017-07-17 14:17:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lady Stoneheart after all?

Nope
by wcnitz  (2017-07-17 14:55:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we'll probably get some form of Nymeria's wolf pack.

Damn...forgot that
by rflor  (2017-07-17 12:34:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Despite rewatching the whole series over the last month, I forgot the Martell alignment already occurred last season.

It leads to a second point. Is the pairing between Yara and Ellaria just a throwaway or a serious alliance between their houses?

When they ask what happened here
by AlanND90  (2017-07-17 09:35:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tell them The North Remembers. Great opening!

Lots of good bits below
by Wooderson  (2017-07-17 08:09:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, I took definite note of the dagger illustrated in the book Sam stole. Chekov's gun is loaded and cocked.

Nice symmetry of the two queens standing by/on the maps of Westeros.

Hound and the BwoB gonna wreck shop. Cleganebowl imminent.

Dragonstone full of Dragonglass, scratch Checkov's gun, we've got Chekov's armory in play. Obviously it'll result in a Dany/Jon meeting, that ought to be interesting.

Man, they got through a lot of stuff in an hour, they might even have the horn of Joramun in play. This is fun.

One thing disappointed me
by El Kabong  (2017-07-17 11:01:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was hoping Arya would head north to Winterfell.

I'm guessing that's where Bran is going to end up in short order, except we didn't see that previewed.

My question -- why will anyone believe him when he starts spouting off about R+L=J? It's not like they have paternity tests in Westeros.

Have Snow stick his hand in a fire. That should settle it. *
by Piertravlr  (2017-07-17 17:43:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Howland Reed *
by Smokin_Clover  (2017-07-17 12:21:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will show up at the last scene of the season. *
by Wooderson  (2017-07-17 12:34:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There better be a crannog in this... *
by 3rdst  (2017-07-17 12:46:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nah, but Meera name-dropped hard to get through the gate. *
by Wooderson  (2017-07-18 08:45:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd like to see him stroll up while munching on a frog *
by wcnitz  (2017-07-17 12:47:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Full circle: here is where Bran will say, "search your
by MistakenD  (2017-07-17 11:54:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

feelings. You know it to be true."

And, we all die with jaws on the floor.

Maybe he'll hop aboard a dragon eventually *
by sirket  (2017-07-17 11:11:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the dagger
by Raoul  (2017-07-17 09:26:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was that the one Tyrion and Lord Baelish had at one time. Where is it now?

That's the one.
by Wooderson  (2017-07-17 09:46:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd be willing to be it's used to either kill Cersei or the Night's King.

One of the most satisfying
by Hati Hijau  (2017-07-17 01:21:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

openers to any episode of any series of any season. Arya, you go girl!

I agree
by Keenan4w  (2017-07-17 10:58:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This opener seemed to cover more ground and be much more rewarding than the previous 6. Their decision to condense the season to only 7 episodes appears to be paying dividends already.

Incredible scene! *
by arch_moore  (2017-07-16 22:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Goosebumps. Very nice. I hope the Hound (spoilers)
by Inigomontoya  (2017-07-16 23:09:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

starts cracking skulls again. Good to see him around.

The zombie giants will be seemingly unstoppable. They were almost invincible when they were alive, the undead versions will be juggernauts.

I still think the white walkers will be easily defeated by the dragons. They'll just burn the walkers to death.

Fire and Ice
by SEE  (2017-07-17 00:15:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think this is the season of fire.

And dragons dying
by wcnitz  (2017-07-17 12:35:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not all three are going to survive this season - and I bet when one dies it is turned.

GRRM doesn't constantly bring up ice dragons in the books for no reason.

My worthless $0.02
by HTownND  (2017-07-17 16:00:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1 dies and becomes an ice dragon.

Euron gets one to Cersei's side (the prize will be the horn, Dragonbinder)

And Dany keeps 1.

Glenn died again? *
by cujaysfan  (2017-07-16 22:28:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very Enjoyable (spoilers)
by vermin05  (2017-07-16 22:25:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know it was in the preview but I especially liked the possible foreshadowing of Cersis death in the map room with her standing on the neck and Jamie close to the fingers.

I'm not usually a shipper but I really hope Tormund-Brieanne happens.

Also I'm very excited to see Ayra and Nimeria reunite in the woods.

Spoilers *
by ACross  (2017-07-16 22:32:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Spoilish.
by 3rdst  (2017-07-17 00:26:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Must we?

Spoiling?
by Hati Hijau  (2017-07-17 01:33:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. We must.

Spaulding!
by Jess  (2017-07-17 10:58:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By Source (WP:NFCC#4), Fair use, Link

Spaulding!
by Hati Hijau  (2017-07-17 16:45:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(Link)

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.