Chicago conference for a week in mid-November
by 89Swine (2017-07-16 15:20:35)
Edited on 2017-07-16 17:11:40
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

at McCormick Place. The convention center appears to be a little removed from the action and I would prefer to stay downtown during this sub-optimal time of the year.

What is my best lodging/transportation option?

a) Find a hotel on the Green Line which has the closest L service to McCormick but limits the hotel selection.

b) Find a hotel near the #3 bus route which opens up more lodging options but then I'd have to ride a bus.

c) F it, just stay at the hotel I want downtown, Uber/cab back and forth every day

d) Buy a Bentley upon arrival and drive around in comfort and style, but then I'd have to pay hotel on-site parking of $50/day which seems unnecessarily extravagant.

Thanks everyone for the local knowledge.
by 89Swine  (2017-07-17 17:51:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like I'll just chose whatever hotel suits me best and I'll use Uber/cabs. I also appreciate the shuttle idea. I didn't know that existed. But I won't let that determine my lodging.

Although, I am a little disappointed no one offered to host me for the week and provide personal transportation. I thought NDNation was better than that.

not to be a wet blanket,
by vivaflanner  (2017-07-17 13:51:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but consider

why you are attending conference

why you want to stay away from the conference

the message the this sends to others in your organization who are attending with you

If you are attending alone, then go for it

I understand what you're saying but I am attending alone.
by 89Swine  (2017-07-17 17:43:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I want to stay downtown so I can eat in nice restaurants and get a decent drunk on without having to suck up to a bunch of dorky industry stiffs.

But who wants to hang out with a dorky industry stiff...
by pmoose  (2017-07-17 17:52:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in downtown Chicago? Gotta think of everyone, don't ya?

I'm an exception. *
by 89Swine  (2017-07-17 17:56:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Check with the conference managers
by ND8486  (2017-07-17 08:18:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have the same issue for a convention there. Our conference runs shuttles from Palmer House, Hilton Towers Etc to the McCormick convention hall.

Staying in the convention center makes getting to work and back easier, but we did that one year and returned to the old way (Palmer House) and rode the shuttles.

^^^^ this ....
by mike-nd  (2017-07-17 10:18:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I lived in Chicago >10 years ago. Since that time they added specific routes (partially underground) for hotel/conference center shuttles. The area around the convention is nicer now than it was before, but I agree that I would much rather stay elsewhere.

Option C. Don't look back. *
by FtWorthIrish  (2017-07-16 20:33:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your a) option in the Loop includes 3 hotels...
by Kbyrnes  (2017-07-16 18:03:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that are right on or by Wabash (the green line runs on the El down Wabash): Monaco, Virgin, and the Silversmith.

C) is your best bet--partly because even now, finding a room the week of your conference could start to become challenging--it depends on the size of your conference and how many others are taking place at the same time.

Another possibility is trying to get into the Hyatt Regency hotel at McCormick and then Ubering/cabbing to wherever you want to go in the evening.

C is the only choice
by elcortez01  (2017-07-16 17:52:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do check to see if the conference runs shuttles. Even if it doesn't stop at your hotel, they may have one close by.

C is your only option. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-07-16 16:59:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

C. That's like a $10 cab fare from the Loop. *
by beattherush  (2017-07-16 15:39:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

C, but D is intriguing" *
by Endthecursein05  (2017-07-16 15:22:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.