07/16: Tony Jackson's birthday
by art fern (2017-07-16 14:54:48)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

From the swing side of the street, con clave
by Atticus  (2017-07-16 19:00:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, this is America (what a concept!), and that great ocean of genius and joy otherwise known as Latin Jazz (vastly under-appreciated in the Anglo world) celebrates the birth of a giant today, a Swedish American!

Cal Tjader. And why not? Current stars in that great galaxy of stars include Brian Lynch and Conrad Herwig. Perhaps we can say that when Dizzy Gillespie met Chano Pozzo it was a meeting of the great spirits. Likewise, when Cal played with the great Eddie Palmieri, it was also epochal. If these names are unfamiliar to you (other than Dizzy of course), then shame on you, you can't call yourself American. At least IMHO.

Proof of life: Listen to this selection and if you don't feel like dancing, then you're dead. And never even lived.

And Ruben Blades
by Odschool  (2017-07-16 19:29:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey! Stick to your side of the street
by Atticus  (2017-07-16 19:44:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's also the birthday of Pinchas Zukerman. I'll leave it to you to post a video

Don't know how I missed Ruben's birthday. A fine vocalist. I met him once, on the lower east side when it was still the wild west. We shared an appreciation of Hector Lavoe.

Note to world: J Lo is a celebrity. Her former husband, Marc Antony, is an artist of supreme gifts. Please check out his video on Aguanile, from the movie on Salsa and the Fania All Stars. He is playing Hector Lavoe. It is absolutely genius. 36,000,000 viewers can't be wrong. See link to a previous link of mine for the video. (Why can't we link a video twice?)

I was very surprised he wan't your first choice given he is
by Odschool  (2017-07-16 20:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a homeboy. Or Bola Sete. BTW Thank you for not passing on the opportunity to post vibes.

Nah, I figured Cal needed the exposure more
by Atticus  (2017-07-16 20:40:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was an early adapter (is that the phrase?) of Latin Jazz in Anglo America and, in fact, to me, Ruben was more of a political activist than an artist and I came into contact with him when Alphabet City was the land of junkies and squatters. A friend passed off on me his friend, Jerry, for legal help. He was a squatter on the LES and an acquaintance of Ruben's, who in turn was associated with the great Willie Colón, politician and great salsa musician.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.