Parenting 911 -- NEED ADVICE!
by The_Phoenix (2017-07-16 12:30:13)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Daughter #2, definitely the smartest of our children and a rising HS junior, just asked me: "Dad, what do you think about the University of Michigan?"

Apparently, me throwing up on the floor was not enough to dissuade her. Need advice on how to gently push her away from the Wolverines.

Ideas like: "I think they've done a great job in Ann Arbor getting the overall homicide rate down, but it's is still high among students"

HELP!

If she's 16 and doesn't know your opinion, that's on you.
by YodaDame  (2017-07-17 12:46:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My older son was 2 months old when ND played at UM 2011. As soon as UM took the field he started crying and wailing violently. Atta boy.

At 3-4 he took the habit of cheering for whatever random "blue" team was playing any sport on TV. Mom and I both reminded him--not THAT blue team!

I have since extended the list to:
Michigan
NE Patriots
Duke

I've learned that my hatred is only the football team...if
by ndgenius  (2017-07-17 11:35:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my kids want to go to school there, I'm all for it, especially with the in-state tuition rate. I see from your profile that you're from Chicago so I'm not sure I would pay the higher freight to go there but it is a VERY good school.

I offer this without comment
by OGerry  (2017-07-16 22:35:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

except to push the button.

Share this article with her.
by thatguy  (2017-07-16 20:07:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As with many industries, tech and automation are eating away at jobs college grads could once count on. Michigam grads can no longer rest easy that their future career path is safe.

These are the times that try men's souls.
by IAND75  (2017-07-16 17:59:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Been there. But in my case it was Southern Cal. She took it down to the last day and then chose ND.

Direct her to the MOGO website. *
by BeijingIrish  (2017-07-16 17:13:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This post has always stuck in my mind: (link)
by beancounter  (2017-07-16 16:53:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just remember...
by Finn_MacCool  (2017-07-16 15:39:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if she attends Michigan, there's a high probablility that's where she'll meet her future husband. It also means your grandchildren will likely be Michigan fans.

I can't even imagine what the in-laws would be like *
by JACC1203  (2017-07-16 15:51:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Presbyterian is not a religion *
by MackerelSnappingAnarchist  (2017-07-17 12:14:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tell her what I told my kids
by El Kabong  (2017-07-16 15:07:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were welcome to go to any college they wanted, but if they wanted to go to USC or Michigan, they'd have to pay for it themselves.

And that Thanksgiving was moved to Fridays? *
by The_Phoenix  (2017-07-16 22:03:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep, told mine the same thing. *
by Reilly  (2017-07-16 21:53:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was Boston College for my son *
by Irishkey9  (2017-07-16 17:10:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume you've (plural) been discussing...
by Kbyrnes  (2017-07-16 15:00:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...her interests and what schools she's been getting onto her radar. Michigan, apart from our football rivalry, is a pretty highly-rated college--probably the best public university in the Midwest. A good number of Chicago-area kids look at it and many wind up there.

It may or may not be the best fit for what interests her, but it's not an unreasonable academic option. What you're getting for your dollar may be another issue. The out-of-state tuition, room and board is about $10,000 less than full fare at ND. Finally, for someone from Chicago, the local ND network is far superior to Michigan's.

Could be worse
by captaineclectic  (2017-07-16 14:45:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, she might've joined the crack whore division of ISIS.

Help me out here
by Shifty  (2017-07-16 14:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How are you using 'crack?'

Are they whores that smoke rock? Or are they top flight, A+ whores? Like a 'crack' squad?

Also, you misspelled hooor.

It's actually all/of
by captaineclectic  (2017-07-16 15:00:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are highly experienced prostitutes who use a lot of rock cocaine and also are willing to do butt stuff.

Thus, "crack whores."

This is interesting knowledge to have acquired.
by Papa November  (2017-07-16 22:15:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you were anyone else, I'd be concerned. But you just drink wine and know things.

Sounds like good Craic *
by Shifty  (2017-07-16 16:37:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was a number of years ago, but many of my high
by Docsfan  (2017-07-16 14:15:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

school friends went to U of M for undergrad. Their experiences were mixed. Many got lost in the massively large classes and the Greek focused social life.
Those that had a good experience knew exactly what they wanted, and were on top of what was needed to give them what they wanted.
In my opinion, Michigan's reputation is built on their graduate schools and professional schools (law, medical, business).
And then there is the pressure to become a Michigan fanboy.

Could be worse. She could have told you she was dating a
by The Holtz Room  (2017-07-16 14:14:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Methodist.

She's trying to get a reaction *
by ufl  (2017-07-16 14:06:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Introduce her to Michigan grads *
by SEE  (2017-07-16 14:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aversion therapy. I like it. *
by FtWorthIrish  (2017-07-16 15:37:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What does she want to study? *
by Raoul  (2017-07-16 13:15:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Engineering. *
by The_Phoenix  (2017-07-16 21:56:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ndoldtown, mkovac, and Bruno95 have you covered
by NGIrish09  (2017-07-16 12:38:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Head on over to the NDNation posting HOF

Say no to the Harbaugh sleepover
by SixShutouts66  (2017-07-16 12:36:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To be honest, I have a masters from that place and think I survived. (I never cheered for their FB team in my year there; so I kept some self-respect). At times we justly demonize other schools' football teams, administration, and fans (USC, Michigan, tOSU, Miami, Alabama to name a few). However, that doesn't mean one can't get a good education at them, especially if they're aware of the issues.

My impression of the school is that top students can get a very good education, but the rest may be processed in large classes taught by grad students. Ultimately she has to make the decision that's best for her.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.