How long can a lightning strike last?
by Rochesterdomer (2017-07-15 14:47:10)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I have this memory from when I was a kid, which seems 100% real. I swear, when I was 6 or 7, I was looking out of my bedroom window and I saw a bolt of lightning stuck in the ground. Like, for a few moments. 5, 10 seconds, maybe longer. But definitely not milliseconds. According to Google, and common sense, this couldn't have happened. But I swear it did. Is there any sort of lightning that does this? Or did someone lace my OJ Joe's with LSD in 1982?

I've never heard of lightning like you speak of, but
by ProV1x  (2017-07-17 13:07:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have had three people killed by lightning on golf courses where I was pro at the time. Two were caddies. Lightning terrifies me, but even though warned some golfers absolutely will not take shelter, or come in, when there is lightning in the immediate vicinity.

I cannot physically drag them in but we always notify the club manager and other witnesses that we did what we could do to get them off the course just in case there would be an incident and subsequent litigation.

5:07
by cujaysfan  (2017-07-16 20:06:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was probably union lightning ...
by Seamus  (2017-07-16 19:54:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They've been known to strike for months.

Lou Christie is the ultimate authority.
by mkovac  (2017-07-16 18:24:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Long enough to turn sand to glass.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2017-07-16 11:24:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I witnessed a similar event a few years ago from a hotel window. It was near a beach and the lightening bolt seemed to "throb" in place for a few seconds before dying out. After the storm, my wife and I were walking past the area where the strike hit and came across a line of scorched sand that terminated in a 3-inch blob of dark glass. It was pretty amazing.

that's what she said *
by jt  (2017-07-16 01:20:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Might be similar to earthquake experience
by SixShutouts66  (2017-07-15 21:27:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen something similar in earthquake experience, and others may have the same thing about the length of a firefight or the wait until medical help arrives. I'd guess that in stressful situations our internal clocks fly off the chart and things seem to last forever. Most people seem to think the heavy shaking during an earthquake last 2 or 3 times as long as it actually did.

Ball lightning (link)
by Bphweather  (2017-07-15 20:50:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Romulans from the future drilling Earth? * *
by graNDfan  (2017-07-15 19:44:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where were you?
by Barney68  (2017-07-15 17:53:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you were on the Great Plains, then you might well have been observing a supercell that would, indeed, be able to put on quite a show. I doubt over five seconds but the big guys can be impressive as hell.

If you were in a mountainous area, I'd guess youth may have exaggerated the experience.

Rochester, NY
by Rochesterdomer  (2017-07-15 18:23:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe it was just a beam of energy from a UFO.

I have family in Rome (NY) and lived in Buffalo ...
by Barney68  (2017-07-15 21:47:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for a dozen years. Supercells don't hang around in that area so my best guess is that it just seemed that long.

For what it's worth, "back in the day," we used to sit and watch the cells across the Indiana plain. The big ones, I mean the REALLY big ones, were incredible.

I was there (Indiana, not ND) on Palm Sunday, 1965. Those storms live in my memory to this day.

My experience (see above) happened in Upstate NY.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2017-07-16 11:41:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Keuka Lake, to be exact. For what it's worth.

September to mid-November
by captaineclectic  (2017-07-15 17:15:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sincerely, the 2002 football team.

Every ten years, the storms extend an extra month or so. *
by Papa November  (2017-07-15 17:32:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If more than four hours, go to a doctor. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2017-07-15 15:07:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Length and Duration. Now that I have your attention,
by The Holtz Room  (2017-07-15 14:55:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

here is what NASA says.

You might have been drugged or witnessed something extremely rare.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.