Augusta's Hootie Johnson died Friday. 86 years old.
by ProV1x (2017-07-15 13:34:37)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

He was involved in several big controversies involving The Master's, and the club itself, but in my memory the biggest was his refusal to allow Martha Burk to join the club in '03.

The funeral will be commercial free *
by NightOak  (2017-07-16 09:23:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hootie was not a dictator who could decide ...
by Barney68  (2017-07-15 15:06:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on his own the question of qualifications for membership; he was just the guy who got the "credit" for the club's decision.

The credit for the Hootie letter was evidently his alone. *
by ProV1x  (2017-07-15 18:13:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arnie and I got ours' about the same time.

I remember CBS getting nervous with sponsors
by domer4  (2017-07-15 15:00:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Hootie basically said "screw it, we are going to do this tournament without TV commercials..."

Howell Raine of the NYT made her famous.
by squid  (2017-07-15 14:55:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he called it flooding the box or something. As editor, basically he pushed story after story about her campaign against the Augusta National. Burk then had her protest. This sign is what I think of first. (I'm not supporting Hootie).

He supported men's right to choose *
by wide right  (2017-07-15 14:49:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Golf clap. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2017-07-16 11:31:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think Burk wanted to join. She wanted the club open
by tAr  (2017-07-15 14:36:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To women. At least that's what I recall.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.