should I see a Dr. (always an intersting read)
by vivaflanner (2017-03-20 21:41:34)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Now I know the answer is usually yes, but this is different. I dont have a festering boil, or a leg that locks up or some case where the answer is obvious.

On to the situation:

About 30 years ago, I fired a .357 Magnum w/o ear protection. Result was a ringing in my left ear since that day. For the last 29 years or so, this ringing was pretty faint. For the most part, I couldnt hear it without covering my ear and listening for it. When I drank a lot it would get louder, but always recede when I sobered up. Also would be louder for a short period after being in a noisy environment like a nightclub, concert or sporting event. Always receded overnight tho.

In the 6-9 months or so, it rings louder all the time. I can hear it walking outside, sitting in my office etc. I can still hear outside sounds ok, but its definitely annoying.

Only change over the last year I can think of is that I started taking allopurinol and tart cherry extract for high uric acid/gout. But I dont remember a direct correlation, ie I didnt observe my ringing louder when I started allopurinol. Then again, the allopurinol dose was titrated very slowly over several months, so who knows?

Anyhow, any cause to see a ENT doc? Should I ask my rheumatologist to try me on a different gout med (the allopurinol is working very well)

Welcome to the shitty world of tinnitus.
by hometown fan  (2017-03-21 11:46:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing can be done for it

That's not true. Conventional means do fail miserably.
by Papa November  (2017-03-21 19:19:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My colleagues and I have had decent luck with it. Maybe a 50% success rate, which is really low for us overall, but pretty high for tinnitus.

I'm curious as to what non-conventional steps you've taken
by sleestakND  (2017-03-22 08:11:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've had it for about a year now. I've mostly been able to ignore it, but some days it's freaking maddening.

A technique called Proprioceptive-Deep Tendon Reflex.
by Papa November  (2017-03-22 10:57:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the primary form of treatment we use in our office, and I have other colleagues around the country who've had good success using it for Tinnitus.

I think you answered your question in your first sentence *
by ndstein04  (2017-03-21 09:43:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

do you belong to costco?
by cujaysfan  (2017-03-20 21:54:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

set up an appointment with an audiologist there

you'll at least get tested - and can start figuring out what's what

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.