4 or 5 day spring weekend w/ young kids in the Southeast?
by Charlottend (2017-03-20 20:04:19)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

We're drawing blanks on where to head for a long weekend. Kids are 7, 5, and 2. Trying to keep it under a 5 hour drive or direct flight out of Charlotte. Anyone with good ideas?

It's a little beyond 5 hrs but our kids enjoyed Chattanooga
by ndmd89  (2017-03-21 08:19:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at that age. There's a great children's museum where they could spend an entire day, aquarium, Lookout Mountain and I guess Rock City if you have time.

Charleston/Isle of Palms, SC
by brianfellow  (2017-03-20 23:40:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of history. Lots of things to do for all ages. IOP is very family friendly. Culinary scene probably doesn't matter much to you with kids but it is amazing.

Hands down you should do this. I'm a tad biased,though. If you want I can send you an email with more specifics as I'm pressed for time at the moment.

The other suggestions for Kiawah (which is amazing,too) and Seabrook are good but they're not super family friendly and there's not much to do out there outside of golf and tennis. You'll find yourself wishing you weren't so far from Charleston. We go out there from time to time to stay at the Sanctuary and "get away" if that means anything to you.

Most of my friends with kids that have come here have loved it and a few of them plan to move when the time is right.

The drive from Charlotte isn't terrible.

Hope this helps.

BF

I spent a week here a few years ago and Brian is right. It
by Jeash  (2017-03-21 10:21:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is a beautiful area and a lot of fun.

I thought I read that as he is beautiful. That's how hungry
by brianfellow  (2017-03-22 08:04:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for compliments I must be at the moment ha ha. I can't believe it was that long ago, Jeash. Hope you are well.

Agree, Charleston is a surprisingly good town with kids.
by Flann  (2017-03-21 09:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably a better town for adults, but still some great things to do with kids. We took 4 kids ages 2-10 there for spring break a couple years ago. They enjoyed walking around the old streets, pirate tour and carriage tour. Walking though old cemeteries was cool for them as well. There's an aquarium although we didn't go. The kids really enjoyed a harbor tour which had some dolphin watching and then went out to an uninhabited island in the bay where they could collect shells. Weather permitting they can also play in the fountains along the river park.

Lots of great restaurants some of which are not kid friendly, especially for a 2 year old, but some of which are fine for kids. Hominy Grill is great and kid friendly. Amen Street Fish bar is good for the family. Husk at lunch might work. Minero would be good as well for kids. Brown Dog deli is a good lunch. Park Cafe and Butcher and Bee on the way in or out of town are good.

Great children's museum in Charleston too *
by tenn_subway  (2017-03-21 10:21:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you write up an email, i'd love to get it too
by civil_engr05 (click here to email the poster)  (2017-03-21 08:38:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We just made a reservation for four families to go the Isle of Palms this summer. I've been once but didn't get to explore the area near enough (most stayed on the beach). So if you do write up an email, please copy me on it as well. Thanks.

Just had a chance to look back at this post. I would be
by brianfellow (click here to email the poster)  (2017-03-22 08:17:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more than happy to do so. It would be helpful if you gave me the dates that you will be in town (I won't stalk you) because there are a lot of things that happen on an annual basis that might hit when you are in town. While not as critical, knowing the vicinity of where you are can actually change a few things as well. The south end of IOP starts at 2nd Ave and the Island covers quite a bit of distance moving north (Wild Dunes is the Northern part where a lot of families tend to vacation unfortunately). I'll include my e-mail and you can share what you are comfortable with.

If you haven't been to Asheville,
by BottleofRed  (2017-03-20 22:42:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that would probably be my top choice. You could go to the Biltmore (all the kids are free) and the Asheville Pinball Museum. There are a number of kid friendly outdoor activities too if the weather cooperates.

I would also consider Williamsburg, VA. It's just on the 5 hour drive limit, but it's definitely worth looking into. We just got back from a long weekend there with B8 and B10. We took them when they were your kids ages as well. While they were certainly able to appreciate more things on this visit, we had a good time when they were younger too.

A few more things in Asheville and environs
by dbldomer7375  (2017-03-21 07:07:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Grandfather Mountain is nearby. There are a number of breweries that you might wish to patronize after a day of wrangling kids.

You might wish to look into the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Salisbury. Lots of big old steam engines and shops to maintain them. The North Carolina Zoo is not that far away and nearby Seagrove is filled with pottery shops.

Another approach would be to look at North Carolina as a tourist and see what the various tourist bureaus and AAA have to offer as suggestions.

"Oh, kids, look, a peachoid!"

Have you been to the Highlands/Cashiers area?
by WilfordBrimley  (2017-03-20 20:17:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Man, you are dead smack in the middle of one of the best areas of the country for entertainment under five hours away.

That would be a new spot for us.
by Charlottend  (2017-03-20 21:04:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've done a lot of the bigger towns in driving distance pre-kids, and we're finally comfortable enough to drag all three of them a bit further. I'll have to look into that one. Anything in particular that you'd recommend out that way?

We really do like that the mountains are 2 hours one direction and the beach is two hours the other. 5 hours essentially covers NC, SC, as well as lots of the better parts of VA, TN, and GA.

I am not well-versed on Highlands/Cashiers,
by WilfordBrimley  (2017-03-20 22:06:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I'll be heading there in a few months and have heard great things about it.

I assume you have done the following, but if not, definitely check them out first:

Asheville
Outer Banks
Charleston
Savannah
Kiawah Island

Some highly underrated or not-as-well-known spots that I love and are nearby:

Boone, NC: college town nestled up into the mountains. You can go kayaking up the Nolichucky, too (really fun - maybe a bit too much for someone those ages, though) and do a lot of great biking in the area. One of the more scenic spots in the U.S. east of the Mississippi.

Williamsburg/James River area, VA: still one of my favorite trips that I took as a kid, but they may be a tad too young to truly enjoy it.

Bald Head Island, NC

Sea Island, GA

Place I've never been but have heard good things about:
Greenville, SC
Blacksburg, VA

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.