Board dentists, a question on implants
by sprack (2017-03-20 13:38:28)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I'm getting one put in week after next, for a back molar I had pulled in December (#32 is the number, I guess).

The appointment is for only an hour, which really surprised me. I've had other people tell me how it took a lot longer for their implants.

Is that because of which tooth? Seems odd that people have different experiences.

I do trust my dentist implicitly, by the way, so that's not why I'm asking.

Board? I thought dentists led exciting and daring lives *
by Frank Drebin  (2017-03-20 15:56:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I've heard . . .
by sprack  (2017-03-20 16:59:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are certainly many variables at play
by saintapollonia  (2017-03-20 14:21:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sounds like your implant is for a single unit, rather than as part of a longer span, or for retention of appliance. Perhaps it is 31, as 32 is the right, lower wisdom tooth. I'd speculate you are replacing the second molar, not the third.

There are multiple variables at play. Some of these include: upper vs lower (bone densities come into play), whether augmentation of the ridge is required, patient medical history, etc.

Often an OMFS or periodontist will place them, then the prosthodontist will restore. Some GP's are skilled at both the placement and the restoration.

Yes, one tooth, #31 (I did have it wrong)
by sprack  (2017-03-20 14:34:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had to wait three months until the bone came back strong enough, which apparently it has.

The patient is usually leaving my parking lot at 30 minutes *
by nyirish08  (2017-03-20 14:10:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wouldn't be #32. That's a wisdom tooth.
by bengalbout  (2017-03-20 14:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably 30 or 31. An hour to place an implant is reasonable if there is no need to do bone or soft tissue grafting.

Just testing you (smirk). Yes, it's 31, not 32
by sprack  (2017-03-20 14:14:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No bone or soft tissue graft needed, fortunately.

It looks like the only pain I'll experience is when I get the bill.

Tell her to go saline,and for god's sake don't use a dentist *
by Inigomontoya  (2017-03-20 13:45:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That took 7 minutes after my post. You people are slow! *
by sprack  (2017-03-20 13:49:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.