Thanks and a question for the group
by El Kabong (2017-03-19 17:09:45)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

First, my appreciation to HTown and the other credit card rewards experts. The 50k from the SWA Plus card I got has me at over 95k points. I couldn't get the Premier since I've already got one, but company-related purchases in the next couple months have me assured of getting to Companion Pass by this summer. I also managed to get the Sapphire just under the wire to qualify for the 100k, and once it arrives tomorrow, I'll be well on my way towards that.

Second, and on a perhaps tangentially related note, a suggestion was made to the Ops that we establish a Finance Board, which I suppose would be an offshoot of the Back Room. As the suggester put it, he would "trust the insights from ND finance professionals more than what [he] sees fro
m other websites", and believes it would generate a high volume of traffic. We would caveat such a board with the usual disclaimers about nothing being professional advice with fiduciary responsibility and all that, of course.

What are the thoughts of the group?

I would use it *
by Clover55  (2017-04-09 19:12:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another suggestion: email notifications
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2017-03-20 15:46:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be nice to receive an email when our post received a response. Or alternatively, some kind of alert on the page of recent responses. I have no idea how difficult that is. I sometimes avoid posting to avoid the avoid the obligation to scroll around looking for responses.

A couple of suggestions for that
by Father Nieuwland  (2017-03-20 20:16:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can tag a thread which you want to watch for replies, and monitor it every so often in "manage your account."

Similarly, you can highlight yourself which makes it easy to scan the page and see your posts and see if anyone has replied under your posts.

Nope
by ndtnguy  (2017-03-20 14:48:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No to a financial-and-legal advice board for all the reasons enumerated below.

No to other "themed" boards for the reasons identified below as well: what makes this place so interesting is that people come here and talk about all kinds of stuff. The political conversations got dumped on their own board because of the way they metastasize and the fact that they have a unique propensity for growing heated. But I would hate to push some of that off into its own corner.

Sure, as long as the advisors are properly vetted.
by 84david  (2017-03-20 13:16:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"buy Gold"

I agree with ACross on this one.
by beattherush  (2017-03-20 12:01:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Back a few years ago, we had more of this kind of thing, on both the PBR and Back Room. I don't make recommendations often here but had made one -- think it was short RIMM at 64 -- as a response to a request for ideas. ACross took me to task for it.

That trade turned out to be highly lucrative if one had the guts to stick it out. And nothing I've recommended here has ever not worked out well. But I have come to believe that ACross was still correct in calling me out.

At the end of the day, this is an anonymous message board, and the posters here may mean well but don't always (hi WinterCeltic). And even if they do, they sometimes just get it wrong. People tend to overweight posting here because of the Notre Dame affinity and a strong sense of community. No matter the disclaimers, some will make investment decisions based on recommendations here. Some of those will turn out poorly. And there will be a lot of bad blood down the line because of it.

That sort of thing can be vetted, but that's well beyond the scope of current BoardOps time or expertise. And it needs to be surrounded by board expectations about financial issues that are not in place here.

There are other forums where such advice is readily available and well moderated (by folks with financial issues expertise). I think we're better off making referrals to those places than endorsing financial conversation here.

i know you've been revamping the board
by cujaysfan  (2017-03-20 10:17:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what about simply adding Tags to threads?

the boards are searchable - so btw that functionality and tags - you could probably find what you're looking for and another separate board need not be created

i'd simply request that a Bruno tag be one that you utilize

Great idea. The travel threads are great.
by doolinbanjos  (2017-03-20 10:24:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you only need them when you need them. With all the "plants" in tripadvisor etc., this is one of the few places you can get some honest recommendations.

They don't archive posts, though. So they're lost with every
by GailStanwyck  (2017-03-20 10:34:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

board nuking.

But if they were tagged
by ndtnguy  (2017-03-20 16:55:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You could save the ones that were potentially useful, or someone energetic enough to update the almanac could look for related posts and compile there.

I don't think this Board gets nuked...
by doolinbanjos  (2017-03-20 11:08:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...as often as those fission reactors we affectionately call the PBR and Rock's.

right
by cujaysfan  (2017-03-20 11:26:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

can't recall last time there was a BR nuking

and the PBR is pretty rare now, too

Rocks is Rocks - not that there needs to be tags there anyway

Thought it might be easy solution worth considering vs creating and moderating a new board.

Yep. It'd be great if people updated the BR Almanac.
by NDBass  (2017-03-20 10:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd like to see the person asking for advice/recommendations update the BR almanac with what was posted, but perhaps I'm asking too much.

Almanac functionality would potentially be a big time saver
by beattherush  (2017-03-20 12:05:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or a BR Wiki or something with a way to BoardOps-select or poster-vote posts for archiving by category.

Seems like we get a lot of "I'm coming to Chicago" threads... saving a few good responses might eventually divert that traffic usefully.

I like the eclectic nature of the Back Room
by xChicagoIrish  (2017-03-20 10:03:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I understand why the political discussions moved to their own board, but I would hope that the standard required for a dedicated board is high. I probably wouldn't go a dedicated board for financial topics, but I do find myself clicking on some of those posts in the back room and I usually end up learning something.

I think the variety is part of what makes me come back every day.

I would use it *
by Clover55  (2017-03-20 08:55:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's a great idea
by BillShakespeare  (2017-03-20 00:25:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All the caveats listed below are valid, but I don't think the idea of the board would be for "stock tips" -- questions like yours re: credit card programs, other oft-requested ideas like student loan programs, 529/401k strategies etc, could certainly be discussed in enough generality that knowledgeable posters wouldn't be precluded from participating. I think any professionals are professional enough to know what they're not at liberty to put on the record. If necessary the board could be login-only like the Politics board. Don't see much downside; if you tried it for awhile and it wasn't working, would be easy enough to shut it down, right?

What about a Catholicism board?
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2017-03-20 00:25:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would likely range from academic theology to apologetics. I always learn something from the religious posts, but they are pretty infrequent. Perhaps a separate board would encourage those topics.

"McBrien's Altar" maybe? Just kidding.

It should be in Church Latin *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2017-03-20 10:39:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll second that.
by cincysubdomer  (2017-03-20 07:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A religion board would be interesting. There have been some very good threads in the BR that otherwise get rolled off.

I don't know.
by doolinbanjos  (2017-03-20 10:02:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd rather that stuff was out here. In my experience, those kinds of Boards can devolve into echo chambers for the highly orthodox. That's fine, but like most things, moderates are less likely to wonder over there and post, and the result would be have fewer exchanges of ideas from different perspectives.

A poster (former?) runs an excellent blog for that kind of thing, and I believe posting is allowed. it's called "Popin' Ain't Easy".

Austin316 *
by The Holtz Room  (2017-03-20 11:02:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If it's anything like the religion posts here
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2017-03-20 10:44:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would surmise that anyone wanting to post on the new Religion Board would need to pass a test in Canon Law to prove that they are a Real Catholic[tm].

How about a coffee pot, Vegas,NOLA and
by 93NationalChampions  (2017-03-19 22:28:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NYC board? That should clear some space.

If the purpose is to discuss general financial themes
by 89Swine  (2017-03-19 21:40:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like economics, interest rates, and broad market performance, I think that is sufficiently and appropriately covered by the Political Board and Back Room. If the purpose is to discuss specific personal financial strategies or techniques, I don't think a separate board would be very effective. Like medical and legal advice, proper financial advice is based on each individual's unique circumstances. It would be difficult to get enough background to make good recommendations and could easily lead to well-intentioned, conflicting advice. Then discussion would devolve into a pissing match as each poster would advocate for the strategy that worked best for their own particular situation.

While I like most AZDomer's posts, his gold bullshit was reckless and likely caused financial harm to anyone who got sucked into his delusion.

I made a fortune in honey futures thanks to Azdomer
by Inigomontoya  (2017-03-19 21:47:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I began by getting to 1/3 of the honey-bee queens. The tricky part was inserting those tiny diaphragms.

Reducing the honey bee population sent honey prices soaring.

Then the big short began by removing the diaphragms.

The beauty was there were no laws against it.

that's a reason I'd recommend against
by irishrock  (2017-03-19 22:27:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some poster has a lot of conviction on an investment and pounds the table...maybe pretty eloquently. Posters jump in and are in a drawdown. People get pissed at the poster when, to be fair, they were the one stupid enough to follow a stranger on the internet advice.

Secondly, jt and dbcooper are correct, no licensed financial pro could post without compliance approval and that is doubtful to occur.

my friends will be impressed when i tell them
by cujaysfan  (2017-03-19 22:35:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i'm getting my investment advice from justin timberlake and db cooper

when they're just using some schlub CFP

I don't think it is necessary
by Dutch  (2017-03-19 20:40:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Back Room and Political Board already cover most of those issues and I don't think those posts clutter the boards. Rather, the financial related posts are often some of the most interesting ones on the boards.

It's a bad idea IMO
by DBCooper  (2017-03-19 20:38:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As JT below alluded to, any financial "expert" would not be able to discuss any specific investment ideas. No disclaimer you give would matter. These are FINRA rules and no person who has a Series 7 should take a chance of the remote possibility that it is discovered that he/she is giving advice. Don't get me started on how a Series 24 professional would view such a board (after becoming one my self I am now scared of everything, but that's a different story)
Posts here are considered "retail communication" and thus suitability laws are instantly kicked in on any recommendation. We are lucky we are exempted from getting preapproval just to post. This is why many of the "experts" only discuss macro themes and stay away from specific recommendations in the open forum. And I don't think passwords and logins would prevent that fear.

In addition, in my opinion political issues and financial themes are so intertwined that to separate the two would reduce the discussion of various topics. How do you discuss mortgage rates without talking about Fed policy and the possibility of Trump picking a new Fed chairperson for example.

I like the political board as it is and although it certainly can get personal and off topic sometimes I think the economic discussions are usually much more civil and mature. I thought it was upsetting when ufl started to take some of his thoughts to the back room recently for example.

Just my 2 cents but if there were a new board I certainly would stay away on most topics. I don't consider myself an expert however. Just one of the dummies on Wall Street

And I would assume lawyers and Drs would feel the same way, though they may have different legal obligations to worry about. That i wouldn't know.

Yep, and there is another reason I'm not for it
by sprack  (2017-03-20 10:11:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think I'd check a finance board very often and I've learned things here I wouldn't otherwise know.

Splitting off the politics board was the best idea, because it was crowding out everything else. But I don't think there's any other subject that does that.

I agree as well...
by Kbyrnes  (2017-03-20 09:24:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Moral hazard, or something like that. I'm licensed as an appraiser in various states and can only give general advice here; I've offered help to our members regarding specific properties via email, but have to keep my comments fairly hypothetical for board consumption.

Having a board with specific industry focus only makes it harder for experts in that area to provide comment, because it makes it more like the sort of thing the regulations cover. The current format seems good enough. I wouldn't be opposed to something like a separate HOF (call it what you will) where sufficiently compendious answers to certain perennial questions could be posted, like, how do I appeal my property assessment, keep ice dams from forming, or get from O'Hare to South Bend.

Let's let the ball-washing lawyers run the world. *
by Inigomontoya  (2017-03-19 21:40:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree.
by captaineclectic  (2017-03-19 21:08:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A possible alternative is to change the career board to a career/services oriented board (maybe call it Networking?), where people can post their email address to solicit contact from ND-affiliated advisors.

Then NDNation would not be hosting advice subject to a disclaimer -- it'd be an introductory service, which it already is.

Agree *
by bbill99  (2017-03-19 20:50:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let's make this easy...
by abqgant  (2017-03-19 20:15:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if everyone posting or reading this board will just send me a decent check each month I won't need financial advice.

I'm thinking a $1,000 per check is enough.

Finance board should be log-in only, IMO.
by vitadulcedospes  (2017-03-19 19:52:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You might get more candid answers from those who work in the field. They'd all be playing with fire with compliance, though. Compliance justifies its existence with rules about stuff like that.

I would worry, though, that it would wind up like the Career Board. I suspect that few people casually visit that board, which probably affects its helpfulness.

most financial professionals would likely be precluded
by jt  (2017-03-19 19:39:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from participating on that board or at a minimum would need to run damn near everything by compliance before participating.

Even the disclaimers aren't good enough in this industry when you are actively participating on a board that is by definition a financial board.

How do the 'financial advisor" shows manage to stay on
by 88_92WSND  (2017-03-19 20:56:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the radio. I'm not talking about the decent ones where they actually address questions about an array of topics. I'm talking about the ones like "Total Wealth Radio" and "Hidden Wealth Solutions" where it's basically a 30 or 60 minute shill for one product or investment 'solution'.

"The Hidden Wealth Solution provides clients with the most effectively tailored wealth building strategy we know. This strategy is used by the ultra-wealthy, former U.S. presidents and industry icons.

It is the top-tested strategy for building and keeping wealth. This strategy ensures that our client’s financial safety, liquidity and potential are secured"

The 'advice' they offer is horrendous.

most of them aren't licensed
by jt  (2017-03-20 01:21:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and those that were licensed gave up the license and let it lapse when they started doing radio/TV.

Ah. Thanks. *
by 88_92WSND  (2017-03-20 23:10:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disclaimers. Every bit of written advice I provide
by Odschool  (2017-03-19 23:37:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has disclaimers. Any presentation I make about options opens with 4 - 5 pages of disclaimers.

That's kind of what I thought. *
by 3rdSt  (2017-03-19 20:28:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd go there *
by discNDav  (2017-03-19 18:33:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It could be interesting
by 96_ND  (2017-03-19 18:12:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is also some of the traffic from the politcal board which could be driven to such a venue.

My only concern is that I would not want it to evolve into a chat room for the hot stock of the day or M&A speculation.

I think a great idea. See if gets traction for a few months *
by Inigomontoya  (2017-03-19 17:45:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps a "Professional" Board including medical and legal
by Domer58  (2017-03-19 17:31:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

questions seem to come up regularly in all three fields.

I think you'd be less likely to get responses to that. *
by tdiddy07  (2017-03-20 09:55:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only if I can get prescriptions *
by Odschool  (2017-03-19 23:38:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No lawyer here should participate in that *
by bbill99  (2017-03-19 20:51:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like this idea *
by drmurray  (2017-03-19 19:59:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. And a cetacean board for PB's life advice. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2017-03-19 18:49:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What will you name it and do I have to show my tax returns? *
by The Holtz Room  (2017-03-19 17:20:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.