I saw Manchester by the Sea
by pmcdnd96 (2017-03-19 14:16:14)
Edited on 2017-03-19 14:17:38
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Well, there's 2+ hours I can't get back.

Did anybody like it? What did you like?

All I could think of throughout the movie was "I think this was the movie Seth Myers was talking about."

it was OK
by cujaysfan  (2017-03-20 12:15:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but certainly not best picture territory

I decded to wait for the DVD after reading the reviews
by sprack  (2017-03-20 10:13:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure I could watch the whole thing in one sitting.

transformers VI is coming out soon *
by 84david  (2017-03-20 09:44:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

agree; sucked big time *
by bsuryn  (2017-03-19 21:46:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gorgeous portrayal of a guy punishing himself but trying to
by 1NDGal  (2017-03-19 20:03:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do it quietly. The kid was great. The ending was just right.

Good response. But what made it worth watching for you?
by pmcdnd96  (2017-03-20 09:53:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I concede that the acting was good, as all characters were believable. But isn't that the expectation with any decent movie?

There are a zillion movies with believable characters - what was special about this one that I couldn't just as easily find in another movie? I'll contrast it with another northeast fishing-town movie dealing with grief: In the Bedroom was a fantastic movie to me. Obviously, the climax was of a greater magnitude than Manchester by the Sea, but the performances were outstanding.

Perfect description. There are demons and despairs that
by bengalbout  (2017-03-19 21:18:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

many people deal with by withdrawal and this was a story of a person that was drawn out of that situation. I've seen articles that said the story was depressing...I found it uplifting.

Agreed, but Arrival was much worse.
by The Beef  (2017-03-19 19:42:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Casey Affleck did a great acting job in the movie, but that is his sweet spot type of role. I thought the plot and story were horrible. 2 hours of nothing

Arrival might be one of the worst wastes of resources ever. Shitty acting. Shitty boring story. Shitty PC overtones. Shitty special effects.

I thought Arrival was fantastic
by Der Jager  (2017-03-20 18:08:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Best sci-fi movie since 2001.

Uh, the year or the movie? *
by captaineclectic  (2017-03-21 05:19:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The movie *
by Der Jager  (2017-03-21 08:12:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can't join you there, then.
by captaineclectic  (2017-03-21 09:02:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since the year 2001, maybe.

PC overtones? *
by captaineclectic  (2017-03-19 21:33:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought it was excellent. *
by CaptainIrish  (2017-03-19 18:56:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prayers said *
by Stonebreaker9  (2017-03-19 17:15:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watched Amy Schumer's new special on Netflix. It was bad.
by Tex Francisco  (2017-03-19 16:59:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm neither an Amy Schumer fan nor an Amy Schumer hater, but I generally thought her previous stand up specials were pretty good. This one wasn't even close to being good. The Netflix reviews are terrible, and there's been some debate about whether the reviews are honest or if she's being trolled by conservatives/alt-righters. I think it's actually just that bad.

She has a new movie with Goldie Hawn where they are a mother
by JACC1203  (2017-03-20 14:50:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and daughter vacationing in South America or something.

I not sure if it's being released to theatres or going straight to Netflix.

Either way, it looks pretty awful. I couldn't make it through a 2 minute trailer.

I've never seen her appeal and wonder if her act is to try and be as vulgar as possible in an attempt to shock viewers.

I don't find a single thing she has ever done humorous at al *
by drmurray  (2017-03-19 20:00:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Her Trainwreck movie was aply named, it was terrible *
by discNDav  (2017-03-19 18:35:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was Girls but with more drugs. And very mean-spirited. *
by 1NDGal  (2017-03-19 20:06:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's stealing jokes again too.
by The Holtz Room  (2017-03-19 17:07:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey Amy, tell the one about vaginas, wine and xanax...for the upteenth time.

I didn't find it as depressing as reported
by knutesteen  (2017-03-19 16:31:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing good ever happened for the guy, so with each bad thing, it was just more of his norm. As if no hope existed. With that, it was ok.

I thought Michelle Williams was impressive
by 206er  (2017-03-19 14:22:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She brought some much-needed energy to the proceedings. Unfortunately she was only in the movie for 10 minutes.

The rest was bad. As a director, Kenneth Lonergan isn't just bad, he's inept.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.