MIL advice requested.
by stevec28 (2017-01-11 17:09:18)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

MIL emailed me today that with my wife's b-day coming up, MIL is interested in getting my wife a virtual reality headset for her phone. She's asking me for advice on which one to get and, since I know nothing about VR headsets, I tell her that I appreciate her thinking of me as a tech expert, but I know nothing about VR because while I'm somewhat interested in the tech I have no time for it.

I did not tell her that's the most ridiculous gift idea in the world, because not only is her daughter the mother of three kids aged 6 and under and has no time for it, she is not interested in tech in the least and, in fact, has expressed concerns about VR and people using it to escape reality.

Query is, should I tell her these things in a nice way or just let her spent $30-40 on a cheapie VR headset that will only get used by me or the kids if it ever is?

I found your answer
by NDoggie78  (2017-01-13 17:31:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And these are really sold on Amazon - see link

suggest she buy wife a new teflon spatula and new
by abqgant  (2017-01-12 15:35:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

slippers to replace the bacteria traps your wife wears every day.

Let us know how MIL reacts.

A vacuum's a much better gift. *
by beattherush  (2017-01-12 16:07:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Call your MIL. Don’t email.
by cmhirish  (2017-01-12 14:14:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Make conversation. Engage her on her VR idea – how did she come up with it? Has she looked at any? Tell her you don’t know anything about them but will be happy to look into it. Mention what you have been thinking about getting for Mrs stevec28. Say in passing Mrs stevec28 wants x, but she only recently mentioned this and you already have y and z for her, or say you don’t know anything about x. Plant some seeds that there are other possibilities - but don’t pan the VR idea.

Then call her back in a few days with your findings on VR.
Mention again that Mrs stevec28 talked about x or y. Don’t push it. Leave things open-ended enough that your MIL makes her own decision. You will have been a good SIL by responding to your MIL’s request for help. Maybe she will take an idea and run with it, and not stick with the VR.

And keep in mind, free advice is typically worth what you pay for it.

Advice: Accept Gifts Graciously
by OrangeJubilee  (2017-01-12 11:20:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Here's what she'd like better" is not gracious.

Advice within.
by jakam31  (2017-01-12 11:10:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When your MIL calls, don't answer the phone.

You're welcome.

Mrs. BTR and I agree: nod and smile.
by beattherush  (2017-01-11 22:25:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No point in tying yourself to the tracks on this one.

"That's a great idea MIL. I don't know enough ...
by Jtb_nd01  (2017-01-11 21:52:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... about those to offer you any good advice. I did a quick google search and it seems the quality on the more affordable ones vary a lot!

I do know she's been looking for A, B or C. Let me know if you'd want me to do some careful prodding to find out what she'd be most interested in. I can do some more research on the headsets, too. Just let me know!

Your favorite SIL,
Stevec28"

Find a diplomatic way to tell your MIL
by BottleofRed  (2017-01-11 20:01:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that it's not a great gift idea. She obviously, I hope anyway, wants to do something nice for her daughter. If this isn't it, then tell her that. Hopefully, there are some things you could suggest that your wife would actually appreciate. When my parents can't think of anything else to get for me, they buy me wine because they know I like it.

The only gifts I want to receive for the rest of my life
by NGIrish09  (2017-01-12 00:52:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are in the form of wine, whiskey, or cigars. I'm guessing I'll end up with a very full sock drawer instead.

Get her a copy of "Ready Player One" instead.
by The Holtz Room  (2017-01-11 19:51:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then again, three kids under 6 probably doesn't leave a lot of leisure reading time.

I already have one.
by stevec28  (2017-01-12 17:34:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bought on the board's recommendation and read rather quickly. Nice light enjoyable read. Suggested the wife read it, but once I told her what it was about she looked at me funny.

Then I can't see a need for her own VR headset. *
by The Holtz Room  (2017-01-12 17:54:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His wife is a gunter?
by mkovac  (2017-01-11 20:26:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's braggable.

I am guessing I use that term in a different context.
by timber  (2017-01-12 00:18:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I would use it, anything related to a gunt or gunter is not something to brag about.

You and Lisa Lampanelli *
by bigjinx74  (2017-01-12 10:20:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's fallen off the radar. The Queen of Mean hasn't been
by The Holtz Room  (2017-01-12 10:23:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

making the rounds the way she used to.

My wife wanted (and got) the Gear VR for her birthday.
by Tex Francisco  (2017-01-11 19:27:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a fun gadget. My wife uses it a bit, and we had some fun letting people play with it over the holidays. I'm not sure why your wife would be any more concerned about a VR headset than TV, video games, etc.

Tell her not to buy it
by ndtnguy  (2017-01-11 18:44:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Say something like, "Oh, we saw those: they look like a lot of fun, but---you'll never believe this---Mrs. Stevec28 was a bit creeped out by them. It's an attractive idea, and I would have thought she'd like it, but apparently it's not her cup of tea."

Does your wife have an iPhone?
by Wooderson  (2017-01-11 17:46:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because then you'd be in luck, as Apple has no VR capability. On any device they sell. And they have no plans announced to adopt any form of the tech.

(I know, right? But let's be honest, no one buys apple for leading edge tech...)

If she has a Samsung Galaxy, the head set runs about $100, maybe less.

Don't let her get a cheap-o headset, I did, and it's painful after 15 mins or so.

That said, your best bet for the b-day is to deftly guide the MIL purchase into something your wife had mentioned as a need at some point in the last 6 months.

Here's to hoping you were paying attention when she said "I could really use...XYZ"

No, Galaxy.
by stevec28  (2017-01-11 18:26:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I do, so low likelihood of actual use just went to zero.

Isn't the real VR equipment like $7-800 and you need a $2500 desktop to run it properly?

At first I thought MIL had won the lottery until I clicked the link.

A PC to run a headset can be had for $1000.
by Wooderson  (2017-01-12 04:33:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would absolutely say something like "Thanks, MIL, but put it towards the kids' college fund, plz"

Samsung makes a Galaxy compatible headset for around $100
by Tex Francisco  (2017-01-11 19:29:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Occulus Rift is not phone-based and costs $600+.

i assume that there's some sort of Terry Crews VR show
by cujaysfan  (2017-01-11 17:42:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that's behind all this

sorry to inform you - you're out - he's in

Just remind her to include a gift receipt *
by knutesteen  (2017-01-11 17:38:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a bizarre gift from a mother to a daughter
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-01-11 17:13:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you said it best. You and the kids get a cool toy. Say nothing. It's your mother in law. How could this end well if you say anything.

Just occurred to me this is a public forum and
by stevec28  (2017-01-11 18:23:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've just outed myself if she reads this board. Not like I can claim coincidence. "Well, that might have been another mother..."

In that case, may I recommend unfinished pizza crust to
by MistakenD  (2017-01-11 22:01:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

spice things up a bit.

Or a matador. *
by Kbyrnes  (2017-01-12 01:57:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe she reads NDN and posts. And will reply in this thread
by Father Nieuwland  (2017-01-11 18:37:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was my own lovely lady and she said, "oh, it's you."
Then we laughed for a moment and I said, "I never knew.
That you like VR headsets and gettin' caught in the rain..."

It's amazing how "Guardians..." resurrected that song from
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-01-11 22:06:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the sewage drain.

For $30-$40, let her buy it
by pmac98  (2017-01-11 17:12:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This isn't a life changing amount of money (I assume), seems more of a fun b-day gift. Nothing overly extravagant.

I agree with you though that it'll likely be collecting dust within a week.

Agreed, help her find a cheap viable option
by DakotaDomer  (2017-01-12 07:31:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless she explicitly asks you if it's a good idea...do not tell her it's not.

My tech savvy son bought one for that price
by ndaero93  (2017-01-11 17:19:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He unboxed it, read the instructions, saw it was a piece of junk and promptly returned it.

Can't she do something that a busy mom may enjoy that would be another "escape from reality" - heck a dinner out, spa day, if they are in the same general area, a night of babysitting, etc.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.