How can I tell where an IP address is?
by Alan Smithee (2013-01-14 12:47:21)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I've noticed some ads on this site and others are pretty targeted to me. I usually see stuff from Indianapolis, and I would guess lots of other people don't.

How do the ads know where I am? I figure it has something to do with IP addresses. Is there a database out there that has the locations? Usually when I do a whois I end up with who owns the IP address.

Lots of services can resolve IP numbers to a geograhic place
by fontoknow  (2013-01-14 12:52:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some services offer it in real time.

Google definitely uses such a service. When you look up something it makes the assumption that close things are better for you than distant things.

For instance, if a person at ND searches for Chili's, google will bring up the phone number for the Chili's in Mishawaka.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.