Hits the nail on the head
by El Kabong (2013-01-14 12:32:10)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

"I didn't catch a lot of the details because it's the sort of movie that makes your mind try to crawl out of your ear hole in search of anything that isn't the movie."

I love it when movies like Lay Ms. come out.
by 84david  (2013-01-14 14:07:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"So dear, how would you like a nice dinner and see the movie Lay Ms.?"

[unintelligible gushing sound from her mouth]

"I'll take that as a yes."

Hugs, sobbing and more unintelligible lovey-dovey stuff.

"By the way, me and a few guys at work want to celebrate MLK by going to Vegas for 3 days, you cool with that?"

More unintelligible sobbing..blah blah blah.

"Score"

I knew which movie before even opening the link
by sprack  (2013-01-14 12:53:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But hey, I didn't like the play, either. I will not be seeing that movie in the theater, I don't care how much I'm pestered.

The book, however, is every bit the classic it is cracked up to be.

So the title isn't misleading?
by yooper  (2013-01-14 12:40:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Honestly, the music is the only thing that was ever worth a damn. The story has always sucked. And I can't see the music coming across on screen as it does on stage, so I have no intention of actually seeing this movie.

Do you mean the original story???
by sprack  (2013-01-14 12:55:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As in the one written by Victor Hugo? "Sucked", are you kidding?

I was referring to the stage. I've never read the book. *
by yooper  (2013-01-14 13:01:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the short version (my theme today), try Balzac's...
by kbyrnes  (2013-01-14 14:01:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Pere Goriot.

It's a great book
by sprack  (2013-01-14 13:06:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Victor Hugo was to France as his contemporary Charles Dickens was to England.

There have also been two excellent movies produced, non-musicals.

1935 with Fredric March as Jean Valjean and Charles Laughton as Javert.

1998 with Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean and Geoffrey Rush as Javert.

Laughton, BTW, also was the Hunchback of Notre Dame (another great film, 1934) so he had that Hugo thing nailed.

Certainly one of my favorite books
by Son of Galway  (2013-01-14 13:43:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw the movie yesterday with my wife, who went for the third time in a week.

Generally, I hate musicals. This was better than most. Hugh Jackman was excellent.

I can't stand Amanda Seyfried, though. She was a big negative for the movie.

I would not call the 1998 movie excellent
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-14 13:34:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although in retrospect the part where Jean Valjean got Cosette away from the Thenardiers was pretty cool.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long imprisonment. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let the girl go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Yeah, I did like the older one better, actually
by sprack  (2013-01-14 13:53:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the '98 one is worth watching.

It's a spectacular cast, but I preferred the 1935 version
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-14 13:56:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Partially the difference between a 108 minute and a 134 minute version of the story.

The musical version in theatres now is 158 minutes.

Madame Thenardier--"Good luck" *
by Son of Galway  (2013-01-14 13:41:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only one of the singers is solid
by 206er  (2013-01-14 12:44:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Samantha Barks, who plays Eponine, and did so on Broadway in London as well.

She was very good
by Son of Galway  (2013-01-14 13:46:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought Marius was good as well.

The problem with making a movie musical is that, when you cast it with box office draws, they had better be able to sing. I don't think Russell Crowe can sing well enough, and Corky (Amanda Seyfried) was awful. How does she get any parts? She looks like a bug.

Didn't much like Marius
by 206er  (2013-01-14 13:53:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably because the actor played such an utter douche in "My Week with Marilyn" that I'll never think highly of him again.

You're right, he was a good singer.

I heard sniffling all around me at the end and during the
by 206er  (2013-01-14 12:39:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I Dreamed a Dream" scene. Womenz iz weird.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.