Help pick my new TV
by Domer01 (2013-01-14 11:33:12)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Back in the market again and after some initial reseach could use the collective wisdom of the all-knowing Backroom. The general parameters:

Size: The wall on which it'll eventually be hung is 57" wide. That pretty much limits me to a screen size of 55" (51" width) or smaller.

Price: Goal is to stay under $1,000 sticker price, but may be able to go up to $1200 if absolutely necessary.

Type: I don't have a strong preference plasma vs. LED, but personally think the plasmas have a slightly better picture quality.

Extras: 3D isn't necessary - nice if it's there but not a feature I'm willing to pay extra for. The SMART functionality (built in WiFi with Netflix, MLB, YouTube, etc) again is nice but not a deciding factor.

Additional info: The room does have two large windows on the adjacent wall and gets a lot of natural light, so washout is a legitimate concern.

I'm think the leader at the moment is the Panasonic 50" ST50 model ($989) at Best Buy, although I'm tempted by the 55" model in the same line ($1120). It's CNET's Editor's Choice Award Winner for 2012 plasma TVs.

The other option is the Vizio 55" LED from Costco ($850). This one is the slightly bigger size has the more attractive price, but I'm concerned re Vizio vice Panasonic as a brand, the LED vice plasma picture quality, that this one only has a 120Hz refresh rate where the new ones are up to 600Hz, and that this one doesn't have a light filter for bright rooms like mine.

Anyone want to weigh in on either of these two options or recommend another model in this ballpark that I should look at? Thanks!

The plasma vs. LCD refresh rate thing isn't really important
by anthro_domer  (2013-01-14 11:49:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I believe the 600Hz refresh rate of plasmas isn't a comparable stat to LCD's refresh rates. In general, plasmas do have less motion blur, but I don't think it's something your really going to notice much of a difference with for the Vizio at 120Hz. Most reviewers agree that 240Hz really makes no big difference between 120Hz, so don't buy into that market hype.

That said, I have a Panasonic plasma and love it. It's 2 years old I think and it's been great. I trust Cnet's reviews as well. With a lot of natural light though, you may want to consider the Vizio as LCD's get brighter. I've never really read about a good breaking point for when a room is too bright for plasmas. That said, if you buy from Costo, they have pretty stellar return rules, so you could try out a plasma and see if it's ok.

The one thing I recommend too is to check cnet's calibration guides to get the best picture quality. See link for Panasonic's

I have a Vizio LCD and love it *
by sprack  (2013-01-14 12:18:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We also have a Vizio LCD/LED and have been happy with it. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2013-01-14 13:38:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The other consideration is glare.
by ndroman21  (2013-01-14 12:03:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you have a large bank of windows in the room, you will probably end up with a reflection off of a plasma's glossy screen. Usually it's not noticable, but in dark scenes, it can be.

LCDs and LEDs generally have more matte screens that diffuse the glare better than plasmas.

Save some dough (link)
by yooper  (2013-01-14 11:38:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If your going to spend nearly 800 dollars....
by IU4ND  (2013-01-14 11:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

spring the extra 200 dollars and get 5 more inches, Better picture quality, and a smart TV.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009H8JOZS/ref=gno_cart_title_2

Better picture quality seems pretty debatable there. *
by yooper  (2013-01-14 11:59:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.