Follow up to tween reading list
by irishnyer (2013-01-14 10:45:35)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

To make it easy (for me really), I compiled the list of authors, and some of the series names, except for GoT. I did not include any commentary as to the appropriateness, because there was some debate to a few authors. So - buyer beware, vet as you see fit.

This was really helpful, so thank you BR. Since Saturday thru last night, she's already read two Pierce books and a Duane - liked them all, but as she says "It's not LOTR". Hence, I really appreciate this list.

Neil Gaiman: Stardust and Neverwhere
Terry Brooks: Word and Void trilogy (in addition to the Landover and Shannara novels)
Richard Adams: Watership Down
Jim Butcher: Codex Alera series
Stephen King: In addition to the excellent Eyes of the Dragon recommendation below, I would suggest a few others: The Talisman, The Green Mile, and The Wind Through the Keyhole
RA Salvatore: The DemonWars Saga and The Dark Elf trilogy
Raymond Feist's Riftwar
Brian Jacques – Redwall
Madeline L’Engle
Susan Cooper
Guy Gavriel Kay – Fionavar, Tigana, Song for Arbonne
Edgar Allen Poe
LE Modesitt
Orson Scott Card – Ender’s Game, Tales of Alvin Maker Series
John Carter series
Susanna Clark
Anne McAffrey – Dragonriders of Pern
Piers Anthony – Xanth Series
Tamora Pierce – Song of the Lioness, Immortals
Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl
Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson and others
David Eddings – Belgariad series
Michael Scott – Nicholas Flamel series
Winter of Magic’s Return
Lloyd Alexander “Book of Three”
Robert Aspirin – Myth Series – “Another Fine Myth”, “Thieves’ World”
Steven Brust – Khaavren / Taltos
TH White – Once and Future King
DJ MacHale - Pendragon Series
Walter Moores – Zamonia Series
HM Hoover “This Time of Darkness”
Sue Grafton – Alphabet Series
Weis and Hickman – Dragonlance, DeathGate
Roger Zelazny
Katherine Kurtz Deryni
Tad Williams – Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series
CS Lewis – Narnia
Robert Heinlein – Red Planet, Podkayne of Mars
Stephen Donaldson – The Mirror of her Dreams
Greg Keyes – Thorn and Bone Series
Diane Duane – Young Wizards series
Diane Wynne Jones - Chrestmanci, Derkhelm, Howl's Moving Castle
John Bellairs

Missing from CS Lewis
by Austin316  (2013-01-14 11:53:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength) were very good when I was that age.

I thought it was mentioned in the prior thread but I might have not been paying attention.

I've read Joyce, Dostoevsky, Dante, Cervantes
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-14 10:55:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dickens, Wilde, Borges -- the list goes on.

But there's something about the books on this list that's special. In the end I guess we all make our own childhood holy, but maybe there's something holy about all childhood.

Somehow none of us mentioned Antoine de Saint-Exupery. The Little Prince belongs on this list with pride of place.

As does Roald Dahl
by NavyJoe  (2013-01-14 11:17:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though a tween may be a bit too young to appreciate some of the subtler aspects of his work and perhaps a bit too old to take as much pleasure as they ought to in the fantastical parts of the book. Shel Silverstein probably would suffer the same fate among that age group.

On a related note, Roald Dahl's short fiction for adults is sublime.

He's a fun writer. When I was a kid I wanted to drink
by smcchick  (2013-01-14 11:35:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

out of a chocolate river and learn how to read playing cards.

I cannot stress John Bellairs (ND '59) enough.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2013-01-14 10:51:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His YA fiction--start her with "The House With A Clock In Its Walls"--is unparalleled. And since she likes fantasy, get her a copy of "The Face in the Frost." From the linked ND mag article:

"His third book, The Face in the Frost, was inspired by one of Bellairs’ favorite authors, J.R.R. Tolkien, and is regarded by fantasy fans as a small masterpiece."

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.