Seen at the grocery...
by ndtiger (2013-01-14 09:44:20)
Edited on 2013-01-14 09:44:46
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Erin's cousin reported the other day that he watched a woman sit at the Coin Star machine and crack open roll after roll of coins and pour them inside. He estimates she put in several hundred dollars worth, all while standing 50 feet away from the in-store bank.

So in that vein, what's the dumbest thing you've seen somebody do in awhile? I couldn't top it.

Idiot smoking while pumping gas.
by BandAlum66  (2013-01-14 11:28:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He came into the store while I was paying my bill, and I called him on it. He gave me one of the stupidest looks I've ever seen. It was obvious that he had no clue why I was chastising him.

Idiot running engine while pumping gas
by DoubleDomer0307  (2013-01-14 12:50:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Happened to me a few months ago. He was using the pump on the other side of mine. As I was getting into my car after filling my tank, I thought to myself, "Gee, that guy's engine is making a funny noise." Then I realized he was in the process of pumping gas while I was hearing his engine. I drove away quickly, stopping to tell the attendant about it.

Oh that isn't gonna do anything
by OrangeJubilee  (2013-01-14 13:27:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I leave my car on all the time while getting gas. I am sure the attendant just ignored you. Do you also worry abotu using your cell phone while getting gas? Neither of these are gonna cause a fire. The smoking thing is stupid though.

Yes I am sure somewhere, sometime, a guy with a plugged catalytic converter caused a fire.

I would argue that this hardly qualifies as the dumbest
by dulac89  (2013-01-14 12:43:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While technically possible, it's pretty difficult to light gasoline with a cigarette especially the higher octane you go. High octane, diesel, and airplane fuel are damn near impossible...you could throw a lighted match in JP-5 and it's very unlikely to combust.

I believe gasoline fumes, in the right mixture with air,
by BandAlum66  (2013-01-14 13:40:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are much more combustible (and explosive) than gasoline itself.

This is correct. Liquid does not burn. Vapor burns.
by dbldomer7375  (2013-01-14 14:29:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You need to get fuel, air and ignition source in the right combination to burn.

I heard a guy from BP explain nitro methane once while
by cujays96  (2013-01-14 12:47:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was watching drag racing. He said you could throw a lit match into a drum of it and it would go out. But if you had a drop the size of a nickel on the pavement and you hit it with a hammer it would blow your arm off.

Apply for a job with the Philadelphia Eagles...
by 89Swine  (2013-01-14 10:31:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Solicit donations for a dog's operation while spending hundreds to go to a football game.

That was just last week.

Taco Bell "A" Team
by CndDomer  (2013-01-14 10:11:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On Saturday night (Sunday morning)I stopped by Taco Bell (don't judge me) and the bill came to $4.76. I gave the girl $5 and after she rung it up, dove into my pocket for another cent thinking it would make change easier. She took it, looking confused, and then reached across the register for a handheld calculator, entered it in, and looked even more confused. Eventually she asked ... "Do I just give you back a quarter?"

Contrast this to my recent trip to Germany where the waitress brought a check, took my cash and calculated the change in a fraction of a second in her head and I weep for this country's future.

Maybe it wasn't Taco Bell's "A" team at 0200 on a Sunday morning.

ND student working at the bookstore cafe.
by Buck Mulligan  (2013-01-14 11:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My order came to $4.15.

I gave her a $5 bill.

She rang it up, and then I dug 15 cents out of my pocket and said, "I have the exact change."

I handed her the nickel and dime.

She said, "But I already rang it up."

I said, "$5.15 less $4.15 equals $1. Aren't you a student here?"

"I'm an architecture major. I don't need to know math."

This is a staggeringly tough concept to grasp
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-14 13:47:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

until one works one's first cash register.

She was an aspiring professional, and subtly diabolical.
by Buck Mulligan  (2013-01-14 13:51:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course she knew the math.

SHE COULD NOT GIVE UP CONTROL OF THE SITUATION.

She'll make a fine architect.

I can't stop laughing. *
by Maroon_DBQer  (2013-01-14 14:06:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I call Bullshit!!!
by Ksqdomer  (2013-01-14 12:05:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you do need math.

Having been through the program I can assure you there was
by ndbuddy  (2013-01-14 12:42:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

plenty of math.

Ouch.
by ndtnguy  (2013-01-14 11:53:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remind me not to work in any of her buildings.

Eh, there could be an explanation
by charlottend  (2013-01-14 09:58:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My guess is she was hunting for silver coins. Probably running quarters, dimes, and even nickels through the machine. Coinstar doesn't recognize them and spits them out.

Also, Coinstar now lets you pick up fee-free payment with gift cards to places like Amazon. If you're planning a larger purchase anyway, it could be a no cost way to cull through coins looking for those more valuable ones.

maybe she didn't have an account at the bank
by parietals  (2013-01-14 09:55:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most banks won't talk to you unless you have an account.

Strange, that hasn't been my experience.
by ndtiger  (2013-01-14 10:12:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm guessing the grocery store itself may also have changed her.

I don't think you get charged at those things
by Bob Loblaw  (2013-01-14 10:54:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you choose a gift certificate somewhere. Only if you get actual cash do they charge you.

That's what I've heard at least.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.