Cigar smokers -- Cigar Aficionado's Best Cigars of 2012
by 89Swine (2013-01-14 09:36:42)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

This list is now out along with their Best Bargain Cigars of 2012.

Yes, there are outstanding cigars that are not on the list. I recognize that Cuba produces quality cigars and is underrepresented. The list is not a comprehensive ranking of the cigar universe. However, if a cigar is on the list, you can be reasonably assured the brand is currently a high-quality smoke. It's a short hand way of finding out what's good right now.

Surgeon General's Warning: Life's hard. Wear a helmet.

The Tatuaje and San Lotano are underrated. Pinolero missing. *
by OHIORUDY  (2013-01-14 20:18:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Out of curiosity, are these truly unbiased rankings?
by dulac89  (2013-01-14 12:31:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or are they heavily weighted towards manufacturers that provide the most advertising revenue support to Cigar Aficionado?

Definitely biased. *
by Papa November  (2013-01-14 18:38:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No. They're influenced by the hotness of the sales rep.
by 89Swine  (2013-01-14 14:14:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those willing to give a handy usually make the top ten.

So it does have an element of bias.

Does this apply to cigar conventions?
by dulac89  (2013-01-14 19:01:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so we're so going

While I agree with your general sentiment, my problem
by Papa November  (2013-01-14 12:22:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that for the second year in a row, their "best cigar of the year" isn't even in my top 20. Keep in mind that I am huge, huge, Don Pepin fan when I say that there is simply no rationale for placing Flor de las Antillas in the #1 spot. It's just not a 96 pt smoke. Same thing for the AB Prensado last year.

I agree with you on last year's Prensado.
by 89Swine  (2013-01-14 14:57:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bought a box shortly after the announcement. I thought they were ok but not worthy of number one. Not even top 10. I had one last weekend and feel they improved considerably with a year to age. Still not spectacular, but solid.

On the other hand, I like the Flor de las Antillas a lot. Compared to other Don Pepin's, it's a slightly less flavorful smoke with more balance than punch so I can see where you think it might not measure up. While taste is paramount, I love how they look -- slight box press, flawlessly smooth chocolate wrapper, classic ornate band. It's a gorgeous cigar. No.1? Eh, that's all subjective anyway. But I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

Agreed on all counts.
by Papa November  (2013-01-14 18:36:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a Prensado with 2 years on it and it was quite good. But right off the dock, not so much. My biggest problem with that choice was I think it's only the 3rd best cigar in the AB portfolio.

And I did enjoy the Flor de las Antillas for what it was, and I think you hit it on the head. Sort of DPG light. But better than the Cohibia Edicion Limitada, the Padron 85th Anny, or the Zino Platinum Crown Series? That's just crazy talk.

Big fan of Ashton's Heritage Puro Sol Belicoso which is #7 *
by IrishInVa  (2013-01-14 10:51:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.