Saw Django Unchained.
by captaineclectic (2013-01-13 19:11:33)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I honestly have no idea why this movie is considered "controversial."

I do have a very good idea why it is considered badass and awesome, because it's both.

N-words *
by 84david  (2013-01-13 21:29:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where would you rank it in the Tarantino hierarchy? *
by Stonebreaker9  (2013-01-13 19:50:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Pulp Fiction" is in a class by itself *
by irish628  (2013-01-13 22:20:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree
by BrianBoru  (2013-01-14 14:06:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't mind Tarentino's stuff generally, but his movies are mostly range from pretty good to tried way to hard.

Except for Pulp Fiction. I think it's one of the greatest movies ever made, far better than T's other stuff. RD is second, and a good film, but when I saw PF, I instantly found it to be the much better movie, and feel even more strongly about it today. Honestly, I think PF is what RD was aiming to be, but I'm guessing he had to make RD first to see that.

i place it firmly at #3, after RD and PF (in that order). *
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-13 21:07:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's no Reservoir Dogs.
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 20:09:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's little chance it will be seen as anywhere near as influential as Pulp Fiction, although there's more substance here.

It's obviously better than Death Proof.

I'd put it ahead of Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill. Not necessary in terms of entertainment value, but it's a better film.

[I've actually...never seen...Jackie Brown. Hey, it's in my Netflix queue, alright?]

RD was on SHO last night.
by 84david  (2013-01-14 09:50:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its still an awesome movie.

jackie brown
by cujaysfan  (2013-01-13 21:27:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's actually an elmore leonard novel (who i like very much) - he also wrote the clooney jlo movie "out of sight" - but has lots of better stuff...

i like jackie brown. it's different from the others you mentioned as tarantino wrote those scripts...but certainly worth viewing.

Elmore Leonard went to my high school
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 21:34:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more to the point he and my grandfather were friends and used to grab drinks together in the '60s and '70s. I've never met him, but I've always loved him. It's one reason I'm such a big Justified fan.

really?
by cujaysfan  (2013-01-13 21:56:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that's really cool.

he's a favorite of mine - i'd love to have a beer or cup of coffee with that guy.

you oughta and report back

Hell, if I thought I could, I would.
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 22:05:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Hello, Elmore? Yes. I'm one of the grandchildren of your drinking buddy who died in 1980? Let's hang out."

Seriously, though, it is pretty cool. They were a year apart in school.

ahh - sorry bout your grandfather
by cujaysfan  (2013-01-13 22:23:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that would have been one of those - "grandad, lemme know when he comes over next time so i can meet him" deals

Eh, that's not a wound you need to apologize for
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 22:41:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He died in 1980; I was born in 1981.

Jackie Brown is awful.
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-13 21:08:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wait, do you like Samuel L Jackson ruining movies?

The only time Bridget Fonda wasn't the worst actor on screen *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2013-01-13 22:33:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It had two great things going for it ...
by Atticus  (2013-01-13 22:26:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The very beautiful Pam Grier and Street Life by The Jazz Crusaders, or just The Crusaders.

you're absolutely correct.
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-13 22:38:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought Robert Forster did a fine job as well.

also, I'm a sucker for Bridget Fonda.

it's really too bad more couldn't be made of it. it certainly wasn't a source material problem--I love Out Of Sight, mentioned above.

Jackie Brown is incredibly dull. *
by CMillar  (2013-01-13 20:32:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disagree , loved it. Not an action movie but great.* *
by JOEYONTO  (2013-01-13 20:51:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sweet, thanks. *
by Stonebreaker9  (2013-01-13 20:25:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought Kill Bill was very strong.
by AZDomer  (2013-01-13 20:15:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wasn't going to see it, now I will.

Oh, I LOVE Kill Bill
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 20:43:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kill Bill Vol. 1 is one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen, and I could watch it any day. Vol. 2, while a little less compulsively rewatchable, is also great in its own way.

I just think this has a little more unity of story and a little more going on underneath the surface. And it is very nearly as entertaining minute-to-minute.

I thought I was the only one
by DakotaDomer  (2013-01-13 21:18:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I probably am the only one that loves both AND things 2 is better

I might agree that 2 is the better film
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 21:21:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but one I've seen at least 20 times and the other I've seen like, three, three and half times, and there's a reason for that.

interesting to me
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-13 21:13:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you can see specific flashes of what Tarantino does so well in Django during Kill Bill Vol 1. i'm thinking of when Vivica and Uma are having their living room knife fight and, after some glass is broken, he cuts down for a moment to Vivica's foot sliding along the shards on the floor. there's another moment like that at the beginning of the climactic Lucy Liu tea garden samurai chic boss fight scene later.

Django recalled both those scenes for me, only better done.

i take that, perhaps foolishly, as a sign of optimism.

what if Tarantino wins out?

Those two cuts, which I vividly recall
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 21:18:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are an example of Tarantino's foot fetish and his ability to create unforgettable images colliding.

That goofy-looking bastard [basterd?] is threatening to quit in a few movies more. I'll be pissed. There are probably anywhere from five to twelve more great Tarantino movies out there to be made -- including a Silver Surfer movie ("Moebius!")

maybe he'll just quit cameos? *
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-13 22:58:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought he'd quit
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-14 10:46:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when he went from "kinda funny lookin'" to "comically ugly."

I was wrong.

Saw zero dark thirty
by DBCooper  (2013-01-13 19:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could say the same exact thing

Interesting...
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 19:48:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the word on that is "positive portrayal of torture." Which seems like a better reason for controversy than "negative portrayal of slavery" to me.

Is it just not that positive?

I think that it is considered a positive portrayal because
by LoungeTroll  (2013-01-13 21:32:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no character has a long soliloquy talking about how terrible it is. To me it seems like they just portrayed it. They showed that it happened and that they got both good and bad intel out of it.

The movie is no 24.
by EricCartman  (2013-01-14 10:10:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack Bauer would never receive bad intel from anyone. He doesn't roll that way.

Took it the same way.
by dentonfreeman  (2013-01-14 02:56:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But apparently because no character flipped out and denounced torture that means the film makers portrayed it in a "positive" light.

Definitely a positive portrayal of torture
by irish628  (2013-01-13 20:30:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is why Bigelow was Oscar-snubbed. Why they snubbed Affleck is beyond me though. No film this year more owed its success to the director.

Check plus. *
by Buck Mulligan  (2013-01-13 19:18:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seriously, what is the controversy?
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 19:22:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Slavery probably wasn't that bad."

Oh, fuck yourself.

"They sure used the n word a lot."

In the antebellum South? No shit?

"It's just a lot of stylized violence and 'cool' dialogue."

In a Tarantino flick? Get the fuck out of town!

I've heard people discuss it who seemed more concerned
by Buck Mulligan  (2013-01-13 20:07:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about looking around to see what color people were laughing during certain parts, and then tut-tutting about it.

I saw it in a racially mixed crowd. It seemed like everybody laughed at the funny parts and gasped at the horrific parts. Not too complicated.

I sat next to and behind a mixed audience (Spoilers)
by JACC1203  (2013-01-14 08:16:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the reaction was that the black people next to me were laughing their asses off (as was I) at Samuel Jackson's racist-filled reaction when Django first arrives at Candieland.

The couple in front of me. They seemed very, very offended each time they heard a racial comment/name in the movie. Not sure what they were expecting based on the subject matter, time setting and movie previews shown on TV.

Also, every black member of our audience cheered when Candie's sister was killed. I didn't understand that. She didn't really seem like a vilian and her death was unnecessary.

Great scene there.
by Wooderson  (2013-01-14 12:25:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Who this n***a think he is?" I couldn't help but picture Tracy Morgan doing "Uncle Jemima's Mash Liquor" the whole time, which made it way funnier than it should've been.

she was a villain and her death was necessary (spoilers)
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-14 12:03:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I. Villainy

a) she made the decision to sell him to the mining company. she did this, further, knowing full well that
b) he was a free man.

so, i think there are at least two reasons why she is a villain beyond simple "complicity" arguments.

II. Necessity of her death

a) she would otherwise have been the only living witness to the sale to the mining company. absent his bill of freedom (which had to have been taken from him or destroyed to facilitate his sale to the miners) and given Dr. Schultz's death, there was no proof that he was a freedman. this would make the sale to the mining company legal.

b) the word of a wealthy, respected white landowner and regional figure, who just had her brother murdered and household executed by this same guy...who has no proof that he's not a slave? and has a runaway brand on his face? at the very least she could insist that he was not a freedman and return him to slavery.

so, i think there are at least two reasons why her death was necessary.

In what was was "Miz Lara Lee" not a villain?
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-14 10:44:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was completely odious.

I laughed when she died too.

We all did. *
by Buck Mulligan  (2013-01-14 11:18:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My crowd was mixed too
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 20:11:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were parts where the black people seemed more into it than the white people, but, Hell, that was true of Cloverfield.

complete aggreance *
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-13 19:33:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.