Coffee grinder recs?
by Fifthhorseman (2013-01-13 12:21:27)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Anyone have any recommendations? I know it has to be a burr grinder, but other than that, not sure what to get. Would like to stay in the $60 range. Thanks.

I've been using my $20 Wal-Mart Black and Decker
by bmef  (2013-01-14 10:45:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for three years without issue. It is loud but it works wonderful.

BUNN *
by Caber  (2013-01-13 15:25:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I got a Breville
by nd94e  (2013-01-13 13:39:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's pricey ($193 on Amazon), but it's going to be difficult to find a quality burr grinder for $60. The Breville is considered a medium range grinder, the higher end models are $400+. I'm not enough of a coffee/espresso expert to tell the difference between medium and high end grinds, but the difference between a blade and burr grind is noticeable. Look at it this way, it's going save you money in the long run if you're making daily visits to Starbucks/Peets/local barista for your java fix. You'd probably make your money back in a few months depending how severe your caffeine addiction might be. Good luck on the purchase!

We like our Cuisinart grinder
by mjdomer  (2013-01-13 13:37:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It should be right in your price range. The only criticism is that it's noisy as heck when we're grinding beans. I don't know if other brands share that feature, maybe the expensive grinders (>$100) operate more quietly, but it might be worth asking about if that's going to be an issue for you.

Same here
by BrianBoru  (2013-01-13 20:25:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent for the price.

I don't know what you use to make the coffee
by AquinasIrish  (2013-01-13 13:03:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I use drip and occasionally french press. I've been using the linked model for just a few days and have not yet had any issues; though it's only 3 stars, the consensus among reviewers mostly seems to be it's good for the price. I haven't been using it long, though, so maybe I'll run into issues.

Edit: Oh yeah, the coffee tastes pretty good too.

Saw this one in Costco for $29 this weekend *
by shea  (2013-01-13 16:34:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

French Press *
by Fifthhorseman  (2013-01-13 14:22:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have this. Be sure to keep it clean. If it gets
by barrister  (2013-01-13 13:51:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

clogged it wears out the motor.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.