Tasunke Witko and Pehin Hanska
by wetbird (2013-01-13 11:37:21)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

The Lakota names for Crazy Horse and Custer. Pehin Hanska means Long Hair which is how Custer was known to many of the Lakota.

I've read just about everything I've been able to find on the Apache Wars since that is local history and my wife brought home a book The Journey of Crazy Horse by Joseph M. Marshall III, a Lakota Sioux raised on the Rosebud Reservation telling the story of those wars from the Amerind perspective.

As BI pointed out, my God, we belong to an awful race.

Jackson Hole Wyoming sounds like your kind of place *
by IrishJoeinnc  (2013-01-13 13:32:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Homo homini lupus est
by Atticus  (2013-01-13 11:58:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Man is wolf to men."

Freud used the ancient Latin saying as the foundation of his "Civilisation and its Discontents."

By the way, after finishing a re-reading of Lonesome Dove, I am interested in more reading on the time and place. Have you read "Empire of the Summer Moon"? I think it was a finalist for the Pulitzer in on-fiction a year or so ago. It seems worthwhile.

My wife just ordered it for me
by wetbird  (2013-01-13 12:59:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on her Amazon account. I'll look forward to it's arrival.

As I said, I've been reading and re-reading everything I could find on the Apaches and one of the things I've learned was that the Apaches were very careful about messing with the Comanches.

Review of Empire of the Summer Moon (link)
by IrishJoeinnc  (2013-01-13 12:28:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.