Couples and alarms
by Austin316 (2013-01-13 09:36:55)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I have to be up an hour before my wife. I am having difficulty doing so as most alarms are either not loud enough to wake me up or too loud and wind up waking her as well.

What are some solutions for how to work around this?

Much obliged, everyone *
by Austin316  (2013-01-14 08:19:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She should be up cooking breakfast for somebody. *
by NDBass  (2013-01-13 19:52:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The whistles go: Woo WOOOO! *
by GreenhouseGasser  (2013-01-13 20:50:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jawbone Up?
by 2020  (2013-01-13 18:02:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or similar ....Have not used but read review in FastCompany. It's a computerized sort of bracelet thingy that you can set to wake you up, which it does by vibrating. Since it's on your wrist, it seems unlikely to also wake up MrsAustin316.

As an aside, it also somehow knows the optimal time to wake you up based on REM or deep sleep or something. So, for example, if you set it for 6:30 am, it will vibrate some time between 6:00 and 6:30, but do so such that it gets you up when you're in your lightest sleep so you'll feel more energized when you wake up.

Also, this is second release of the product. V1.0 had lots of issues which article says they resolved.

I Learned to wake up without an alarm
by wearendhockey  (2013-01-13 16:36:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not that difficult. I don't use an alarm to wake up unless I need to get up much earlier than normal for some reason.

Set the alarm to a radio station that plays music
by EastofMidnight  (2013-01-13 14:07:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which you hate but she loves. The result? You get up quickly and, if she can't get back to sleep, at least she's got some good music to listen to for an hour.

simple solution - morning sex every day
by NDscott  (2013-01-13 13:10:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both of you start your days with a smile. Morning wood is a wonderful thing.

There are vibrating alarms
by saintapollonia (click here to email the poster)  (2013-01-13 12:42:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Besides the switch on your smart phone, there are vibrating alarm clocks. I am hearing impaired. I take my hearing aids out when I sleep. So, alarm clocks have always been an issue. There are various types. I'm sure one would be able to wake you up without causing to much disturbance for her. Email if you have specific questions and I'd be happy to answer.

Simple. Tell her to get used to it. *
by Dillon301  (2013-01-13 12:42:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Buy her foam earplugs & an eyeshade/sleepmask
by Hipster  (2013-01-13 12:33:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sure, it sounds like something straight out of Del Boca Vista rest home, but it friggin straight up works. Its like a sensory deprivation tank.

Use very different alarms
by dbldomer  (2013-01-13 12:27:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dr. Teeth and I chose alarms on our phones that are as different as we could find from each other. His is actually awful and piercing because he'll sleep through anything else. After about 3 months, I was able to sleep through it without even hearing it. I hear it about once a week now and just roll over and go back to sleep.

Snoozing, however, is absolutely forbidden except in extreme circumstances in our house. I used to hit snooze every day, but finally figured out that it was incredibly rude.

Have your alarm on vibrate, and attach it somewhere
by 84david  (2013-01-13 11:52:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That it might even come into play during your dreams is just a bonus.

She will probably just have to suck it up.
by ndroman21  (2013-01-13 11:24:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It could be worse. My wife likes to hit snooze 4 times every day, no matter how much I bitch about it.

If you can find an alarm clock where the audio
by 88_92WSND  (2013-01-13 11:04:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

goes out a jack (radio alarm, for instance) you could use pillow or soft-speaker to get more volume to your ear.

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/radio-accessories/standard-pillow-speaker.aspx

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/radio-accessories/softspeaker-2-with-volume-control.aspx

donate some money for Rocky the three legged dog's surgery *
by jt  (2013-01-13 10:59:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tell her to suck it up
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-13 10:40:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and make enough coffee for two.

--Husband of the Year

presumably going back to sleep isn't an option?
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-13 10:15:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yeah, its not for me either. i ended up adjusting by getting up an hour earlier or whenever the other alarm goes off. its a bit amazing what you can do with that time.

Wake’n Bacon (link)
by NDPhils  (2013-01-13 10:13:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

read that as wake and bake *
by discNDav  (2013-01-13 18:33:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll come drag you out of bed for a small fee.
by Papa November  (2013-01-13 09:56:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I promise, your wife will hear nothing.

Look for a vibrating watch alarm
by Tex Francisco  (2013-01-13 09:54:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've never used one, but I think there are many models out there.

Separate bedrooms is the obvious one. *
by PWK2  (2013-01-13 09:52:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.