Re: Facebook and douche bag in-laws
by gond79 (2013-01-09 01:12:19)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I discovered today that, in my family, it's okay to be a douche bag a**hole but it's a grave offense to call out a douche bag a**hole.

Reading some of this makes me glad I was sober.
by jakam31  (2013-01-09 10:21:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only lost one friend during the game. He is a Virginia Tech fan who has taken me to games at VT with him but he texted me "Roll Tide." The exchange between us was ugly and I haven't spoken to him since because I don't care that it got that way. Had I been drinking it likely would have been worse though, so I am happy with my own decision to not embibe.

I'm not above losing friends over something like that game or any future ND games for that matter. One thing I have learned over the past 6 weeks is that there is more animosity towards ND than I remember growing up. Due to that newly found information, I may lose friends in the future over ND football and it doesn't bother me in the least.

If you are an ND fan and ND got the kind of beatdown
by BAC69  (2013-01-09 09:58:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

AL gave us last Monday, you should be prepared to take anything anybody might dish out. The performance of the team was about the worst I've seen in a very long time; or, alternatively, AL was the best team I've seen in a very long time. Let's face it, it was an embarrassment. The one thing Kelly and his staff and the team should take away from that was that ND has not arrived so don't get comfortable being undefeated. If it had gone the other way and ND had won handily, I think you would be willing to dish out the insults and/or the brags. It is a hard thing to swallow, but the fact is that ND stunk up the place. So accept your fate and move on.

Tuesday morning brought out all of the haters
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2013-01-09 10:23:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Mrs. Contrarian and I were fully expecting it.

However, yesterday afternoon I did respond with a "you've got to be &*!(&!#! kidding me" look when a coworker and PSU grad started badmouthing ND."

To be honest, I received plenty more "sorry for your loss" comments from friends and family members on Tuesday morning.

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue
by maniactranspodriver  (2013-01-09 06:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Granted it's limited to one brother-in-law. Called him out to my wife, and domestic conflict is high because of it. There are other things behind it, though most related to my obsessive passion for Notre Dame football, but this was the flashpoint.

Exact same issue
by irish2x  (2013-01-09 08:31:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though my wife has my back on this. Sad part is, not long ago I got along great with the guy.

Ironically these are usually people who go ballistic
by Seamus  (2013-01-09 08:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if anyone says anything untoward concerning their teams or interests.

I held my tongue for years.
by irish2x  (2013-01-09 09:04:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even his kids took pot shots at me and he would laugh along with them. I just took it and let it go. But the game set me off.

Luckily, my wife's response was simply it's about time.

You are right. He rails on his other in-laws when they say anything even close to a criticism, however valid, of his teams.

Most of my relatives are Purdue grads
by gond79  (2013-01-09 09:37:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few years ago, when the son of my cousin (both rabid ND fans) was accepted to Purdue, I sent an email congratulating him but telling him to prepare himself for the annual loss to ND. The PU wing of the family jumped all over me. Interestingly, neither the kid or his father did. I apologized and since then there's good-natured ribbing when ND and Purdue play, smiles and congratulations at the other team's success and biting your tongue when the other team loses. Everybody follows these rules except one guy. His post yesterday pushed me over the limit and I posted some choice comments about Purdue. Now everybody is contacting my sister about what a terrible thing I did. In retrospect, telling him to "Enjoy mediocrity" might have been a bit strong.

A little more for what it's worth
by maniactranspodriver  (2013-01-09 09:36:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The in-game comment he made was mildly bothersome, but something I could normally take and let go from most anyone else. However, he is a self-admitted devotee of Feinstein, and what has been simmering with me for 2 years were the snide remarks he felt necessary to relay about the tragedy of Declan Sullivan. Admittedly, alcohol ingested during the game had a lot to do with my outburst and lack of restraint.

He grew up a huge ND fan in a big ND fan family.
by irish2x  (2013-01-09 10:33:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His kid sister, my wife, was the only one who went to school there. But everyone seemed to love it until the Obama thing. Once that happened, he lashed out at me just incessantly (this coming after a few years of taking shots at me for being Southern). The worse it got was that he routinely would say my degree from there was worthless. Now, there haven't been a whole lot of people in my family who've had the opportunity to go to college, so I took offense to that. But I said nothing then.

Monday night, though, as he texted and posted how much a joke we were and how it was tough that we had to play real football for a change. I lost it. And usually when I lose it, I feel bad almost immediately afterward. But not this time.

Facebook got a good cleansing in the past 24 hours.
by Gort  (2013-01-09 02:27:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't call them out. Just delete them. Much easier.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.