Depending on where these copies are going...
by Kbyrnes (2013-01-08 19:46:38)
Edited on 2013-01-08 19:50:50
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: maybe one of you creative types can help me  posted by jddomer

...you might be able to get away with over-layering his correctly printed name. It would be very obvious to anyone looking at the page that a correction had been made, but if these copies are just being filed away it probably doesn't matter. (This is a "chine-collé" method--which another poster in this thread refers to.)

I assume the binding is some sort of library-grade hard binding (based on my familiarity with the binding of dissertations at ND, U of Chgo, and LSTC, the Lutheran Seminary in Chicago where I'm the dissertation editor). In that case, you might try excision and tipping-in. First, with a very sharp exacto knife the offending page is sliced out (and very carefully, so the next page isn't sliced too--maybe back up the page to be removed by something thick but flexible, like a sheet of plastic). Then the newly printed page is "tipped in" using a very thin bead of bookbinder's glue (I suppose Elmer's would work). The glue is applied carefully to the gutter, in a very thin line (some of my co-workers did tiny dots of glue every 16th or 8th of an inch), then the page is placed just so--when it's in, shut the book and put some weight on it for a few minutes.

We used to do the tip-in part when I was working at Kroch's & Brentano's in Chgo during grad school--we tipped in pages with author's signatures when the author couldn't show up at the store in advance to sign them--instead, they would sign a bunch of pages and send them to us. You would never know they hadn't signed the actual book. The tip-in procedure takes about 2 minutes per page once you're used to it. It might take a couple of minutes to carefully excise the old page, too, so figure an hour to take care of 12 copies.

If it's velobound, there is a tool you can get to cut the old spline.

The medieval method was to use a sharp blade to scrape the paper (their version of an eraser). But you'd then have to figure out how to get the new printed name on there.

The last possibility: when he got his copy in November, was there a document that said he was supposed to advise of any changes by such-and-such a date? If so, I'd say, we're doing the new-piece-of-printed-paper-glued-over-the-mistake method, or he can pay to have them rebound. This is an endemic problem in the publishing world, in general. After no matter how many chances to revise, and how much notice of the due date for submission of the final copy, authors are always finding something they want to change.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.