What are people's thoughts on this new M.S. Business degree?
by Tex Francisco (2013-01-08 15:30:18)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Are there many programs like this around the country? It seems like it's aimed at liberal arts and science/engineering majors with no work experience.

Is there no ALPA? *
by Father Nieuwland  (2013-01-08 17:37:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it a replacement for the 5 year MBA/eng?
by Ravenium  (2013-01-08 16:35:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like it'd be similar.

There are similar programs elsewhere,
by BeijingIrish  (2013-01-08 16:22:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and some of them are quite good, e.g., the one-year MS Finance program at the Univ of Illinois. I think USC has a similar program which is also highly regarded.

My oldest daughter, a history major at ND with no business background or experience, attended a 6-week summer program at the Tuck School/Dartmouth. It was geared to the needs of undergraduate liberal arts and science/engineering types who were contemplating employment in the private (business) sector. It was advertized as an "MBA boot camp". The curriculum was a pared-down first year of the 2-year MBA program: basic accounting, financial statement analysis, and organizational behavior. Elizabeth said it was instrumental in giving her confidence as she went into interviews in the fall of her senior year (she ended up at Accenture). I think several programs of this sort have been around for 10-15 years, but Tuck was the pioneer. Edit: I meant to add that the Tuck program was used by McKinsey as part of its entry-level training program for the non-MBA people it hired.

I think Mendoza must be searching for ways to fill its big 'ol new building. It sure isn't doing it with executive MBAs--these type programs have been in decline since the economic crisis began. Mendoza has to be careful not to confuse the market, i.e., what is the difference between the new program and the 1-year, accelerated MBA?

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.