Flu shot and pregnancy - medical advice needed
by teachme (2013-01-08 12:53:35)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

My wife and I are thinking about trying to start a family. We received the flu shot earlier this month. Unfortunately the pharmacist stated that they were out of the mercury-free shots.

What impact, if any, would receiving the flu shot last week have on a pregnancy in the next few months?

Thanks in advance.

The impact is you'll be less likely to get the flu.
by shadyirish  (2013-01-08 15:38:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reducing your chances of high fever, rapid weight loss, dehydration, vomiting, &tc that won't be good for you, your chances of getting pregnant, or your unborn child.

Ask your physician about the DTaP vaccine as well if you haven't had one in a while.

There are some vaccines they won't give pregnant women, but flu and DTaP are safe.

the hospital might give your wife a pertussis booster
by domerjd  (2013-01-08 19:25:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After she delivers, but they won't give you one because you aren't a patient. You should get one. It is making a comeback and is very dangerous to infants.

None.
by vita dulcedo spes  (2013-01-08 14:13:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And both BI and ndalberta are wrong.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_vacpregnant.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

Thanks! *
by teachme  (2013-01-08 14:37:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our doctor is of the view that fhe flu shot is pointless...
by ndalberta  (2013-01-08 13:22:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because it is based upon "last years" flu which is not the same as this years.

Is your doctor a new age hippie or an old coot? *
by californiadomer  (2013-01-09 01:46:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your doctor is an idiot. Get a new one. *
by Cash  (2013-01-08 21:11:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty sure
by HTownND  (2013-01-08 17:36:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your doctor needs to read the literature and get up to speed on the flu shot.

Your doc is begging for a malpractice suit. *
by FtWorthIrish  (2013-01-08 16:47:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently you missed my post about 2 people who've come
by Jurassic  (2013-01-08 16:29:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

into my ED and ended up on a heart-lung bypass machine in the last few weeks d/t Influenza B.

I'd get a new doctor.
by GailStanwyck  (2013-01-08 13:30:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They (WHO, CDC and FDA) evaluate the upcoming year's vaccine based on the flu strains they believe will be active that (next) year. They don't just recommend that the vaccine should contain strains that were active the previous year.

They aren't magicians, of course, and sometimes a strain that they didn't predict will start spreading and people get it. That's how viruses work. Some protection is better than none, however.

As I understand it,
by BeijingIrish  (2013-01-08 13:18:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is no vaccine for the flu type that is rampaging across the country. I was told that a flu shot would protect me from nothing.

In Indiana, the H3N2 virus is prevalent now, and it is one
by ndlp  (2013-01-08 18:41:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the three included in this year's flu shot. I would recommend the flu shot, especially after seeing a young pregnant woman almost die, recently, from this disease.

Well you can use the flu as a weight loss tool. *
by teachme  (2013-01-08 13:23:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.