I need some advice from the beer and Scotch guys
by Dutch (2013-01-07 13:33:47)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I have six bottles of Goose Island's 2007 Bourbon County Stout bottled on 10/12/07. I'm not a big fan of this beer, but apparently it's popular and in high demand. I'm more of an IPA guy myself. A friend of mine is proposing to trade me the following for a 4 pack of the Bourbon County Stout:

1 bottle Three Floyds Zombie Dust
4 pack Odell Mercenary
4 pack Surly Abrasive
4 pack Surly Furious
1 growler of Masala Mama from Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis

I'm in Wisconsin and the guy that wants to trade me has ties to Minnesota, hence the Surly and the Masala Mama. I have not tried any of these beers before, but have tried others from Three Floyds and liked them. Does this sound like a good trade?

One more thing to consider: the guy I'll be trading with is married to a woman from Scotland. Her family comes over a few times a year. Rather than trading for beer, are there any good Scotch Whiskys that are not available in the States that I should try to trade for? Thanks.

Simple math 14 > 4
by NDoggie78  (2013-01-07 15:38:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And actually the growler is more like 5 beers so 18 > 4. I can't say that I've had all those beers, but I do like variety and am not a huge fan of the "bourbon" flavored beers. Now adding scotch to the equation is whole different discussion. I think I'd take the bird in hand vs. future trade of scotch - it's funny how even friends tend to forget things after the bargain is struck.

are they 12 oz bottles?
by Ksqdomer  (2013-01-07 14:33:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

$60 for a four pack of (2) 07's and (2) 08's on ebay.

Yes, 12oz bottles
by Dutch  (2013-01-07 16:20:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the stuff is so strong that it's best to split a bottle two or three ways.

Sounds like a good trade for you in terms of value
by Smokin_Clover  (2013-01-07 14:05:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In fact, if I were you, I'd probably throw in a little something extra, maybe a bomber or two of a beer or style you know he likes.

Surly
by VisitsToBedlam  (2013-01-07 13:47:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am generally a big fan of Surly. Furious is its flagship IPA. It is pretty hoppy. Abrasive is a smaller batch offering at twice the price; Abrasive seems to attempt to set a record for hoppiest beer.

If I recall correctly, Odell Mercenary is in the same vein as Abrasive.

I like IPA alot, and like hoppiness. But for me, Furious, Mercenary and Abrasive exceed my personal happy hoppy meter. I'll pay less and prefer Odell St. Lupulin or its regular IPA. (I'm a really big fan of Surly Bender and Cynic-Ale - but those aren't IPAs).

But if it's a trade for something you don't like - then I'd say go for it. Odell and Surly are very high quality.

Question, is it really good to keep 2007 beer? I didn't think beer aged well.

Growlers don't last long
by JPH  (2013-01-07 14:29:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oxygen and light are what will skunk a beer. Most bottle caps will slowly allow in air over time. Growlers in particular aren't particularly air tight, especially after first opening.

For all it's Hamm's association, beer cans offer longest shelf-life.

Lots of beers age well
by charlottend  (2013-01-07 13:57:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Generally it's those with higher alcohol contents. I doubt anyone would want to drink a Bud Light from 2007 ;)The only one's I've aged usually have a 5 year window. I just saw someone recently mention they were doing a tasting of 20 straight years of someone's seasonal, would have made for a fun night.

By BA ratings those are all really good beers. I've only had the Zombie Dust personally.

Btw, the Zombie Dust is the #12 beer in the world according to BA - link may require a free account.

I'd do the trade personally since he's offering a variety of good beer and you said you didn't particularly like them in the first place. Plus you'll still have 2 left.

Mad Elf. *
by Stonebreaker9  (2013-01-07 14:44:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was that you? How'd it turn out? *
by charlottend  (2013-01-07 15:55:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks.
by Dutch  (2013-01-07 13:52:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The label on the Bourbon County Stout says that the flavors should keep developing for 5 years. I've kept it in a cool dark corner of my basement so it should be fine. However, I think now is the time to drink it because it will probably fade over the next year or two.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.