Iphone use in France, help me out.
by Jellyfinger (2013-01-07 11:42:33)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

There will be four of us travelling in Paris next week, all with I-phones. We only plan on using them to coordinate meeting up, if someone gets lost or delayed, etc. Not looking to do much voice, minimal texting. From what I can find on the AT&T site, text charge is $.50 to send and $.20 to receive a text abroad, which I am fine with. Again, we-re planning on minimal usage. My questions is, can you set up your phone to only allow calls/texts from certain people, so I can communicate with my fellow travellers but not get calls and texts all weeks from the US?

ATT has an international plan for text messages
by jennyb  (2013-01-07 13:21:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I added the plan for a month when I went to Ireland and England over the summer. I think it was 20-30.00 for 200 text messages. Paying per text could get costly quick. Also, turn off your 3G/4G for data. I would also make sure everyone has Skype on their phone if you need to talk.

Not all iphones work in europe
by sorin76  (2013-01-07 13:11:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two of my daughter went to Ireland recently with their iphones.
One (4s) would work there while the other (4) would not.

Also check out the free Vonage mobile app
by NDoggie78  (2013-01-07 12:42:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It lets you make free calls and texts to others that also have the app. I used it in September and it worked like a charm (assuming of course you have wi-fi or 3G/4G access)

Check with AT&T on your plan
by dbldomer7375  (2013-01-07 11:55:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This past summer my wife was able to expand her coverage to cover all of Europe on a month to month basis for a very small charge. She signed up for one month, chatted away like crazy while we were across the pond and then cancelled the service when we returned.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.