The definitive reason why we are going to win monday night
by blairkiel (2013-01-03 23:35:52)
Edited on 2013-01-03 23:40:47
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I was born in 1970, in a one bedroom apartment in Schenectady, NY.

My old man grew up a catholic in Aberdeen South Dakota. He is 72 years old, as we speak.

From the day I was born, my father turned me into a Notre dame fan. He is one of the die-hard subway alumni.

I believe the first Notre Dame game I saw in person with him was the 1988 national championship game.

In hindsight, he must have spent crazy money flying us out for the game and staying at the Phoenician. Admittedly, some of it was subsidized by GE/NBC. We sat at the press box level right next to the WVU coaches box, with a view inside their coaching booth.

My first ND memories are, in no order: Harry Oliver, chicken soup, and asking my dad what "we're number one" meant after beating Texas.

I was with my dad, going crazy with excitement, over Rocket’s run back vs. Colorado, only to be crushed and dropped to my knees with the clipping call.

We attended a bunch of other games together: Bobby Brown, Michigan, both Nebraska debacles,
a few wins at home, etc.

Over the last 20 plus, years we have spoken at halftime of every game.

When we get on the phone to "talk in" the close games, it has been good luck. We pick and choose our spots.

We planned for years for him to join me and my uncle (his identical twin brother) for the Oklahoma game in Norman.

When he couldn't make it due to his physical condition, we spoke as I called him from an empty OU Memorial stadium with just jubilant ND fans left inside. It was an amazing feeling.

The suck:

He has inoperable lung cancer and begins treatment tomorrow. We have known this since the week before the OU game.

We won't be attending the game in Miami because of his condition, but our family will be flying out to be together at his house in Arizona to watch the game. This is most likely the last game we will physically be together in the same room/stadium for.

My dad. My upbringing. Arizona. A father and a son, a twin brother, and a wife. All together.

We want no sympathy, no prayer requests, no sorry-to-hear-that's.

A win and a lot of ‘Let's Go Irish.’ That’s the focus.

His name is Jim.

Let's win the whole fucking thing...as Omahadomer says: "It's what we do."

We are going to win the national championship.

WE ARE ND!

I wrote this a couple months ago...it is time to win the damn game.

Watching ND win the NC with your pops. That's the best
by irishhawk49  (2013-01-04 23:31:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Medicine known to man. God bless.

You and Jim are ND! Let's go Irish! *
by SouthQuad  (2013-01-04 22:27:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let's pound 'bama like it stole something! *
by VoisMan  (2013-01-04 14:56:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hoping and praying that his treatment immediately
by cj  (2013-01-04 14:52:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yields great results and starts to shred the witch.

God bless Jim and all your family. He's quite a guy and is very fortunate to have all of you.

Fight with everything you've got and let's bring this Irish win home for him.

I've attached a link below that may help you. This site links people that are going through cancer treatment and allows for great "note sharing". It has been a Godsend from an information and strategic standpoint. Please go there and share your dad's story/treatment strategy and find out what the latest and greatest is out there. It will help with your confidence level and also perhaps open other windows/opportunities.

Peace in Christ.

Go Irish!

Been through this
by cujaysfan  (2013-01-04 10:57:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Similar story - the details aren't really important.

The docs told the old man there was nothing else that could be done - so the first thing he did was plan a trip to SB for the whole family - since it was his most favorite thing - and most favorite place.

Willingham managed to beat Stanford that day.

Enjoy the experience. My very best to Jim.

Great reason *
by odschool  (2013-01-04 10:37:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well said! *
by snarlcakes  (2013-01-04 10:02:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fuckin' A, Jim. *
by 53stackmonster  (2013-01-04 09:35:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pardon me while I find a dog to headbutt. *
by FtWorthIrish  (2013-01-04 09:33:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm glad you're spending your time with your dad.
by SWPaDem  (2013-01-04 07:31:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm missing mine a lot right about now. Go, Irish!

On a similar note . . .
by C-3PO  (2013-01-04 06:59:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My dad is 90 and in failing health. He has been a Notre Dame fan since listening to the ND OSU game in 1935.

This summer he mentioned he would love to see ND win one more NC before he goes. Perhaps some long standing prayers will be answered this coming Monday night.

I'm sure there are other similar anecdotal stories from the NDNation followers.

Geaux Irish!

Regarding the OSU game in 1935
by SWPaDem  (2013-01-04 08:03:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least once a year, every year, my dad would bring up his listening to that game on the radio. He would be 92 today. That game in particular and Notre Dame Football in general had a life-lasting effect on him - and I guess you could say, me too. And, obviously, he wasn't the only dad to pass that good onto his son.

I hope your dad has a very enjoyable Monday night, C-3PO. By chance, are you going to the game? Somewhere along the line, I got the sense that you live in Florida.

Not going to the game . . .
by C-3PO  (2013-01-04 09:25:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Live in Louisiana.

I'll be sitting close enough that I can assure you
by Rudy36  (2013-01-04 05:27:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Notre Dame bench will at least once hear "Win it for Jim!"

God bless your dad.

I hope your father finds joy in the ...
by Rocksteady74  (2013-01-04 00:56:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... outcome of the game.

Enjoy the opportunity to watch the game
by Ksqdomer  (2013-01-04 00:32:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with your father.
My Dad has been in a nursing home for two years this coming January 21. He has Parkinson's and unspecified dementia (not Alzheimer's). He will probably be asleep before the game even begins. I will talk to him in person about the outcome next weekend but it won't matter. I hope if we win I will see something register in his eyes and he will be happy about it.
Of course he will speak to me in detail about something that happened to the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 50's. It's incredibly cruel.

We are completely on the same page here, bk...
by kbyrnes  (2013-01-04 00:08:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...This is a beautiful story--your description of an ND upbringing with your dad sounds a lot like mine, and probably many people's. I read your piece twice; it made me remember so many similar times with my dad (also a subway, from Chicago). My brother and I are heading to Long Beach (IN) to watch the game with him Monday.

There will be a lot of winners Monday, including Jim. Go Irish!

"Win one for BlairKiel's dad"! Go Irish!
by Okcirish  (2013-01-03 23:55:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prayers for your dad.

I'm ready to run through a wall after reading this.
by milhouse  (2013-01-03 23:46:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

God bless you, your father, and your family. Let's win the whole fucking thing.

thank you sir. *
by blairkiel  (2013-01-03 23:52:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are The Fighting Irish. *
by irishnyer  (2013-01-03 23:43:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

damn right *
by abqgant  (2013-01-03 23:42:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.