Was on campus yesterday
by tenordrum75 (2013-01-03 20:12:06)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Said prayers at the grotto for family and the ndnation family. Very quiet as one could imagine. Even the ducks on the lakes seemed still. Probably just cold as heck like I was. Great time to take some pics.

Let's hope the students return to campus with #1 still lit!

Winter's coming *
by inigomontoya  (2013-01-03 23:17:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember "THE" storm of semester break Jan '67!!!????
by so-it-goes  (2013-01-03 21:19:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yikes.....Freshman roomate, future next three year roomate, couple of theres and I had planned a "big time" trip to Chicago. We had met some young ladies (those of the "busloads of HS seniors, and/or Chicago Catholic college ladies - on some weekends)earlier after Christmas break at a "mixer" in the Huddles' lower level (dancing to jukebox tunes) and arranged to visit them. We had reservations in a Chicago hotel, bus ride from SB to Chicago....ready to roll after semester exams (late January in those days folks) ...woke up in our cozy room in Stanford (a freshman only dorm then) the morning after exams - and heard the radio weather report...it had only been snowing for a few hours and I seem to remember we had a foot already. Well we manged to get a cab to the bus station....then the 90 mile ride took close to 10 hours if I remember. Downtown Chicago was snowed in.....we still had our room....settled in since we had "dates' the next day....I forget where the girls lived but we had to hoof it from the city to the "burbs' to see them.....what a day...what a weekend.
I seem to remember that during that first year we had our first snow around Halloween...and last snow on my birthday, April 28th!

many more snow / frozen pathways related stories to tell...not tonight....

Yep. Referred to it below. A guy hijacked a bus in Chicago
by mkovac  (2013-01-03 22:55:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and was giving rides to people up and down North Michigan Avenue. When the cops pulled him over, they arrested him but the DA did not press charges because he was a good Samaritan.

I heard this on WLS the week after the storm.

I remember waking up to two feet of fresh snow. I put on a heavy coat and decided it would be fun to walk from campus to the graveyard on ND Avenue.

It was so silent. The only sound was my labored breathing. My boots were full of snow and I found that my feet were coming out of them and I was overheating in my winter jacket.

I made my way back to Room 247 in BP and promptly gave the jacket away to one of my roommates (Bill Ryan, fellow 1970 grad like you), and never wore those boots in the snow again.

I forgot about that......!
by so-it-goes  (2013-01-04 10:33:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By the way did you know Phil Kukielski from our class? He was my freshman year roommate......now retired from the newspaper world ...just recently.

I received a couple of very nostalgic presents from my son, ndslc.....several old Schloastics..( for you youngsters out there it was our weekly campus magazine...excellent read) from our four years.....After I get through them I hope I can find some items to scan and then share here. I am not exactly sure of the details but he somehow learned of a sale of old issues. May have been when he was out there earlier this year r a mini- exec course.

More to follow soon!

speaking of cold at ND
by mkovac  (2013-01-03 20:34:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was on my way to the Library in January of '67 my freshman year and it was after the big snowstorm that occurred right around finals or just after them.

Snow was piled up everywhere about 2 feet thick in many places.

There was a nicely formed bunker near the main entrance to the Library and some wiseguy ND student had written the following epithet that has always stuck with me: "Many are cold but few are frozen."

I thought that was pretty witty, but wasn't as classic as the surfer wax set of comments written on the Strand wall near 35th Street in Hermosa back in '65.

The first line read, "I like grils."

The next line below it said, "I like girls."

The final line below the second one said, "What about us grils?"

Who said surfers were dumb bunnies?

That was Warren Miller, the great ski movie maker's neighborhood.

My parents rented a house next to theirs for a few years and his son, Scott, who was an excellent surfer had a crush on my sister (the one who went to USC). One time, I found one of his love letters to my sister and I harrassed her to no end, singing the Beatles song because he wrote, under his signature, "P.S. I love you." I was brutal on her for that summer of '66.

We had some good piles of snow '72/73-'75/76...
by kbyrnes  (2013-01-03 23:51:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...some of my best memories are plowing down ND Avenue with my buddies in the wee hours, through piles of drift; tromping around St. Mary's lake with high boots that were still not tall enough to keep the snow out; and the big south quad snowball fight when the first real snow fell. (In late January '67 I was still in grade school--7th--back when 2+ feet of snow paralyzing our south side neighborhood was a blast!).

was born in SB and went to ND, I'm warmer now but can relate *
by discNDav  (2013-01-03 21:16:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I grew up in Wisconsin
by tenordrum75  (2013-01-03 20:56:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I am no stranger to cold. Yet walking to Grace as an undergrad in the winter seemed to be just a bit tougher with the wind tunnel effect as one neared the door. Of course, that was nothing like the walk as a grad student on my way to plush Carroll Hall. That last climb up the hill was really fun in the cold. Yet some of my best ND memories are winter related

Such as the NC game in the old Sugar Bowl, followed soon thereafter by beating UCLA in the ACC. Clay, the Iceman, sinking the shot that ended the streak.

Starting 2013 on Our Lady's campus is a good thing, even if a bit solitary.

I remember cold at ND
by dbldomer7375  (2013-01-03 20:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Winter of '69-'70 the windows in my dorm room in Pangborn froze shut.

On the inside.

I have not been that cold since until two years ago when I was in Mongolia.

I will never forget (I think it was the same year) when the
by domerfromkansas  (2013-01-03 20:54:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big picture on the first page of The Dome had a picture looking north from the south quad towards the bookstore and badin. Snow piled up all over the place. Caption on the photo said: Now is the Winter of our Discontent. Makes me cold just thinking about it.

ND in winter - that's when you really have to want to be at
by mkovac  (2013-01-03 21:17:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND.

When a football recruit or a student with excellent grades is waffling about whether he or she wants to attend ND and I hear them say, "I don't know which school has more to offer me, ND or Stanford or SC," I say to myself, "When football season is over and it's January, February and March and you haven't see the sun for two weeks, you'd better have wanted to attend ND with the fire of a thousand suns or you won't hack it."

ND is not for everyone. It doesn't have the short skirts of the SEC, the sun and surf of SC, or the celebs of Westwood and Beverly Hills, but it has a depth and a sense of place that is unique and worth toughing out the crappy weather and the lack of other "amenities".

I have to smile when I read this.
by PWK2  (2013-01-04 08:05:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When you come from Minnesota, you realize the Notre Dame winters are pretty mild.

We take our January tropical vacations in South Bend.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.