Stepping on my soapbox: Flu-Shot thread from yesterday.
by Jurassic (2013-01-03 17:58:33)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I won't get into the repetitive garbage of the pro's vs con's of the vaccine. Obviously influenza illness varies from region to region, and so does the efficacy of the vaccine. With that said, here in the Denver area, it's running pretty rampant right now. I saw over a dozen cases last night alone. In fact, it's severe enough that in a little over 2-weeks, a 2nd patient that I've worked with was in full blown ARD's and ended up on ECMO. The first had no chronic conditions to exacerbate the Influenza B infection, the second did.

Get vaccinated people. And at least vaccinate your children. It's not too late.

My wife the ER Resident lost a 2 mo old last week. Agreed. *
by dinger9927  (2013-01-04 09:25:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Question. I got some kind of a pneumonia shot when I
by ProV1x  (2013-01-04 07:28:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was 69 YO, which was five years ago. I was told that'll last me, that I'll never need another one. What do you think?

When you start hearing things like "you won't need another", you get the feeling you're getting close to #18.

Current CDC guidelines
by SorinUMOC  (2013-01-04 09:55:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A routine pneumococcal vaccine is given to all persons at age 65 or shortly thereafter. Some people receive the vaccine earlier in life due to certain medical conditions that place them at higher risk. These people should then receive a second dose at some point after age 65.

A revaccination is not currently recommended for those who got their first dose at age 65 because evidence does not suggest that doing so provides better protection.

However, many of my colleagues will administer another dose every 5 years to their highest risk patients (severe medical problems such as lung disease, heart disease, cancer patients, etc) because they believe the small possible benefit outweighs the negligible risks.

So, simple answer, you don't need another dose but you should always discuss this with your doctor who knows your risks better than we do.

Thank you, I'll follow up. *
by ProV1x  (2013-01-04 14:06:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My bible sez shots are the work of Beelzebub *
by 84david  (2013-01-03 22:30:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went and got a flu shot yesterday
by Terramarirish  (2013-01-03 22:28:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after reading the thread. By all means, get up on that soapbox...just be sure to watch your step getting down.

I missed the free flu shot at my office this year
by Dutch  (2013-01-03 22:07:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and was too lazy to go get one somewhere else. Big mistake. I'm currently trying to get over the flu I've had since Friday.

How long until it works? *
by RocketShark  (2013-01-03 19:19:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Generally it takes about 2 weeks
by SorinUMOC  (2013-01-04 09:57:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to develop protective antibody levels. So don't wait!

no, dammit. get on the soapbox.
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-03 18:54:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

further, you might want to tell people what ECMO is.

it might drive home the point that the flu kills people.

not just babies and old people but young, healthy people.

further, it kills them in numbers that dramatically outweigh the risks of the vaccine.

more medical professionals need to be on the soapbox.

And, apparently, one vaccine is not all inclusive
by BacTien  (2013-01-03 19:03:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I got the shot and two months later I am heading for two weeks being sick as hell.

correct
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-03 19:08:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sorry you are/were ill. it's a nasty illness and I hope you recover quickly.

it is, however, more inclusive than not getting it.

So the doctor said. I should have gone in the first sign
by BacTien  (2013-01-03 21:00:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the flu but I figured it was a cold. Nope. I've had it since the Sunday before Christmas and I'm still coughing.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.