COSTA RICA: Anyone well versed?
by Paddy O'Furniture (2013-01-03 14:33:30)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I am taking a packaged trip with a group and would like to stay a few extra days.
The JW Marriott Guanacaste is $405/night and for the extra two or three, I thought I'd go cheapskate and save some money (so I can afford my BCS tickets!).

Might anyone know of a nearby Hostel or something else nearby?

Thanks

Paging BI *
by Lazarus  (2013-01-03 17:37:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Costa Rica: Should I ever leave the resort?
by DakotaDomer  (2013-01-03 15:04:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My fiancee are staying all expenses paid for 5 days near Puentarenas....

Is there a good reason to go adventuring or do something other than water sports at the resort? I'm ok with sleeping for 5 days if I have to.

Will you have a car?
by terramarirish  (2013-01-03 15:33:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so, take the ferry across the gulf to Paquera and go explore some of the beaches on the peninsula. Mal Pais, Santa Teresa and Montezuma are all cool. You can go for a horseback ride on the beach or check out the zipline tour thing in Cabo Blanco nat'l park. There's a surf shop a hundred yards off the beach in Sta Teresa where you can rent a board.

Just make sure you leave early and plan for a very full day - you'll be on the ferry/driving for a couple hours each way. Totally worth it though.

Rain Forrest, Zip Line, Other Beaches
by Paddy O'Furniture  (2013-01-03 15:25:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'll also be building a school while there and visiting some orphanages.

Sounds like work *
by DakotaDomer  (2013-01-03 15:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm too old for SSP. It's how I spend my vacations. *
by Paddy O'Furniture  (2013-01-03 15:55:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are other hotels around there but I would take a taxi
by Morrissey_1AB  (2013-01-03 14:46:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

25-minutes up to the surfing town of Tamarindo. Lots of reasonable hotels there and it is a fun place for food, shopping, surfing and grabbing a drink.

AKA Tamagringo *
by igoforwards  (2013-01-03 15:01:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been down there a couple times
by terramarirish  (2013-01-03 14:46:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your best bet is probably going to be to look for something in Tamarindo. My understanding is that the town has really grown over the last 10 years, so you should be able to find something that fits the bill.

I haven't personally been to that town, so I can't make any specific recommendations (sorry about that).

The linked website is where I'd start my search - check out the various types of places under the accommodations tab. It looks like it'll at least be able to provide the names of places and you can do some secondary research.

Hope this helps, and have fun.

+1 on Tamarindo
by S---Alley2  (2013-01-04 12:11:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We stayed there for spring break senior year. About 16 in a house (linked) and another 10 or so at a nearby resort. The house was walking distance into town and we were able to rent a shuttle to take us out for other activities (zip lines, ATV rentals, etc). Amazing trip, would love to go back some day.

How do you feel about Jaco? *
by EricCartman  (2013-01-03 15:34:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jaco is about an hour northwest of Manuel Antonio.
by voidoid  (2013-01-03 16:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd recommend Manual Antonio over Jaco - it is less built-up, with hotels essentially nestled into the jungle on the hillside, as opposed to the high-rises you see in Jaco. It's more of a tropical rainforest feel. Many of the hotels are within walking distance of the beach and the national park, which is stunning. There is ziplining nearby, bars, a few pretty good restaurants, nice beach...

Thanks. *
by EricCartman  (2013-01-03 16:48:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sansa also flies into Quepos, which is adjacent
by voidoid  (2013-01-03 17:13:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to Manuel Antonio, so it is easier to access from San Jose than Jaco, which is a car/van trip up and over the mountains on a questionable road. The Sansa flights are little pudde-jumper prop planes that go from San Jose out to various regional airports throughout the country.

Both times I've been to Manuel Antonio we stayed at the Hotel Costa Verde, which I highly recommend. It's a good value, it's a quick walk down to the beach in the morning (and cheap cab in the evening after all the pina coladas), good food, and you can stay in an old 727 if you're so inclined.

This
by terramarirish  (2013-01-03 16:14:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is a good suggestion.

I've just heard some anecdotal stuff
by terramarirish  (2013-01-03 15:48:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's another place I have yet to visit down there.

The impression that I get is that it's nice (I've heard of Americans doing destination weddings down there) but a little crowded/over-commercialized. It's very easy to get to from San Jose (not super far, good roads the whole way and no ferry rides), which I think is the major contributor to the crowd factor.

Are you thinking of checking it out?

Some friends of mine are going in late January.
by EricCartman  (2013-01-03 15:51:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I can get off of work, I am going to go. I am thinking about making a stop in Guatemala on the way back for a few days, as well.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.