Doctors - what's wrong with my friend?
by LondonDomer (2013-01-03 14:03:59)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

A good friend of mine at work has gotten noticeably thinner over the last few months - he wasn't fat to begin with. I asked him what was up and he explained that for the past few months (3-4 months) he has been battling stomach issues/diarrhea. He has lost 20 pounds and is now at about 190 (and he's 6'6).

He's an otherwise healthy 24 year old, was a collegiate athlete, and generally doesn't have any other health problems. His mother has IBS - I don't know if that is hereditary.

He's going in to see the doctor next week. I told him he should have gone months ago but he just shrugged.

Not a doctor, but could be giardia.
by knightsaynih  (2013-01-03 15:35:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does he like to go camping or hiking?

I dropped 50lbs one summer with giardia.
by Angel  (2013-01-03 16:59:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swimming in sea water in Naples will do that.

Yes.
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-03 15:45:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He also coaches college crew and spends a lot of time in gross lakes and/or rivers around the country.

To answer some questions below
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-03 15:11:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He tried a no-gluten diet for a few weeks. No change.

His mental state is just fine - he's one of the happiest dudes I know. I don't think it's just an act either, he genuinely seems happy.

I hope it's not crohns. Nasty stuff. Could it possibly be a parasite or something like that?

Possibly IBS or Celiacs. Could just be wheat gluten. *
by Rudy36  (2013-01-03 15:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Celiac disease would kill me.
by AZDomer  (2013-01-03 15:05:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is absolutely no way I could endure the dietary restrictions.

It's not THAT bad. You get used to it.
by Rudy36  (2013-01-03 15:21:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fortunately for me it's just wheat gluten that ruins me, so I can still drink most beers.

Sounds like a bad case of countchoculitis *
by NDscott  (2013-01-03 14:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hijack - some updated Scout pics sometime would be nice *
by NDscott  (2013-01-03 15:02:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not much to update as of now.
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-03 15:22:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't recall what I posted last but I haven't worked on it since July. I have some parts laying around - a new carb and some steering components. I got some IH parts gift certificates for Christmas I'm planning on putting towards new rear floor boards. That'll be a treat to cut out and weld the new one's in.

It could be a tumor *
by GodMadeND1  (2013-01-03 14:31:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's Naht a Tumah! *
by Buck Turgidson  (2013-01-03 15:01:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Digestive issues can be a manifestation of anxiety,
by Haj  (2013-01-03 14:29:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

depression and other mental/emotional problems. How is his emotional state these days?

Absolutely.
by CMillar  (2013-01-03 14:41:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or it could be a host of really nasty things which would cause a lot of anxiety just thinking about.

One organ comes to mind. Cash is more qualified
by bengalbout  (2013-01-03 14:09:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to make an internet diagnosis, but I would think pancreas. Diabetes at the top of the list, with more serious contenders to follow. Crohns, ulcerative collitis and other GI disorders. See a GI doctor ASAP

Not a doctor, but he should be checked for Lyme Disease.
by mkovac  (2013-01-03 14:08:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A close friend - a lady in her 50's - exhibited body ache and weight loss about 10 years ago. The doctors she saw thought it was the flu, but when it persisted for several months, they did not know what it was.

Finally, she checked with another doctor who correctly diagnosed her with Lyme Disease, which often goes undetected.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.