1975-76: ND guy impersonating Patton
by drmurray (2013-01-03 12:38:15)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

As a freshman, I was blow away when an army jeep drove up and a guy marched out, interrupted my class, and nailed the George C Scott opening monolgue, then drove off.

This guy was awesome.

Anyone remember this guy, or know who he was?

It was one of those random events that I'll never forget- completely unannounced...very cool.

Don Doheny, 1977 Architecture
by tsl4264  (2013-01-03 17:42:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don Doheny is the student who did the Patton impersonation. He attended ND on an Army ROTC scholarship and owned all of the Patton uniform gear he wore during his impersonation. He graduated in 1977 with a degree in architecture. His Patton impersonation debuted in Emil T's freshman chemistry class. He won the talent contest one year during An Tostal. I seem to remember that he also did the Patton impersonation one time at a pep rally in Stepan Center. Don also went to ND Law School and was an Army JACG in Europe in the early 80's.

He was there in '74...
by Irishlord  (2013-01-03 14:53:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember the Patton score was blaring as he drove up, which irriated the guy doing the Groucho Marx on the stage.
On another note- Ed "Duke" Scales was in the local paper- in a photo with Zeke Motta- both from vero Beach about the upcoming game and reminiscing by Ed about the '73 game. Ed got his nickname from doing his John Wayne impersonation.

More impressed w/Patton impersonating an ND man during WWII *
by Frank Drebin  (2013-01-03 14:11:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember him doing the impersonation as part of An Tostal
by dbldomer7375  (2013-01-03 13:22:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also remember the young lady that did impersonations of kitchen utensils and one of my classmates that recited (from memory) the last nine minutes of play by play from the Notre Dame victory over UCLA.

Sounds familiar
by fastenatingguy  (2013-01-03 13:20:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I was a year after you. Maybe he did it again in 76-77?

I met you in Zahm because of our mutual friend Jim (the drummer) and his buddies Jerry and the "Ghana prince".

Could have been multiple years- my memory sucks...but
by drmurray  (2013-01-03 13:50:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

email me at drmurraythewritestuff@gmail.com

Don Doheny if memory serves
by NJDoubleDomer  (2013-01-03 13:04:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a freaking riot, right down to the polished helmet. How he conscripted the golf cart I have no idea. From Ohio as I recall, but that detail could be wrong.

Yes--the helmet was shinier than the FB team's. *
by kbyrnes  (2013-01-03 17:06:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thta's right- it was a golf cart! LOL He was hilarious
by drmurray  (2013-01-03 13:06:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Polished helmet, baggy pants uniform, riding crop...the works.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.