Another David Pollack classic
by whitefieldwarrior (2013-01-02 20:15:09)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

"Florida has the best defense in the nation."

He's a rocket surgeon.
by blazesboylan  (2013-01-03 08:55:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yesterday he was doing pregame predictions on the Sugar Bowl factor by factor -- you know, running game, passing game, coaching, etc. Then, at the end of what I'm sure was a fascinating discourse between Pollack and the other MENSA member participating in the discussion, came the last category -- intangibles. Doing my best to quote him verbatim, Pollack said, "The frustrating thing about intangibles is that you can't put a number on them."

I recall him being a really good linebacker. Now he reminds me of Snorky from the Banana Splits, whose manner of speech was a sequence of honking noises.

Wasn't he a DL? Which leads me to another observation...
by Winter Celtic  (2013-01-03 09:09:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is so small now, either he was juicing at UGA or he's become rather sickly. I mean he's half the size he used to be.

I worked with a guy who played DL for a Pac-10 team
by Rusty  (2013-01-03 14:50:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His dad played in the NFL, he was big growing up (Pop Warner didn't let him play some years because of that), and he played at 290 lbs. For what it's worth, he said he also took most of the "random" PED tests for his team because they knew he would pass.

A few years after college he was down to 190 lbs.

That's not uncommon. Our own Tom Thayer
by Buck Mulligan  (2013-01-03 10:18:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cut a lot of weight since his playing days.

He was a defensive end in college, moved to linebacker
by smcchick  (2013-01-03 09:14:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the Pros. Article says:

"The Bengals' coaches expect Pollack, who has trimmed down from 272 pounds to 248 pounds for the move to linebacker, to get a lot of plays as a rookie. "

I believe a neck injury ended his career.
by NDBass  (2013-01-03 09:20:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That might have something to do with it as well.

It was broken *
by gadomer  (2013-01-03 10:22:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You'll be begging for him after listening to Spielman. *
by Papa November  (2013-01-02 20:17:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Surely you jest
by IrishGuard  (2013-01-03 00:26:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pollack makes Spielman seem like a Stephen Hawking/Bill Walsh love child.

I was trying to think of a smarter, more tactically-adept combination of living persons to underscore how wide is the gulf between Pollack and the second worst analyst of all time, but I couldn't.

Believe it or not
by whitefieldwarrior  (2013-01-02 20:20:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like Speilman. He's from the town next to me and I've had the pleasure to meet him on numerous occasions. He really is a good guy.

I know it has nothing to do with his announcing though.

I like him too, but listening to him talk about any sport
by smcchick  (2013-01-02 21:29:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

other than football is painful. Very painful.

Yeah I've met him, too.
by Papa November  (2013-01-02 20:25:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with your assessment. Seemed like a good dude. But boy I struggle listening to him announce.

Quick story
by whitefieldwarrior  (2013-01-02 20:34:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My buddy was coaching at Massillon (where he's from) and was running the off season weight program. I used to go over there and lift (the facility rivals college set ups) and in walks Speils.

Dude is just walking in off the street hug dip in and notices a couple kid's had 225 on the bench. He asks the kid's if he can "get a pull" and proceeds to throw it up 20x like it wasn't even there. This all after he has been out of the league for 3 or 4 years.

The man is a beast.

I love stories like that.
by Papa November  (2013-01-02 20:49:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are why I answer "no" when people ask if I'm strong.

I met him when he was the head coach of the Columbus Destroyers (AFL). He was still just as intense.

I thought NFL Films's "A Football Life" on Speilman was good *
by Father Nieuwland  (2013-01-02 20:48:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.