Any problem with a 13 year old seeing Argo given the
by Raoul (2013-01-02 18:40:08)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

historical significance and how those events are related to the world we live in today? The Iran Hostage crisis was one of the biggest impacts on my life. I was about 15 when it happened so another reason I am considering taking my kid. I haven't seen it and heard it was very well done.

My son plays video games that are probably more violent but it is an R rated film. Curious if others have brought their kids to see it.

Some of the terrorist stuff is pretty intense/ disturbing
by goldenchild  (2013-01-02 18:59:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

especially the powerless and helplessness of the people in the embassy when the terrorists overrun the walls and another scene where a group of hostages are taken to a room and have a gun to their head threatened with execution. There is not a lot of actual violence but the threat of violence is what is so disturbing. There is also some profanity including a running joke of saying "ARGo Fuck Yourself".

But nothing a 13 year old can't handle. I don't recall any sex/nudity/gore or other hard-R type objectionable material.

only problem is that it is historically inaccurate
by boethius  (2013-01-02 18:47:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ignoring / downplaying the role of several Canadians who saved american lives - otherwise, go nuts.

The stuff at the end is stupid
by starburns  (2013-01-03 03:45:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they freely admit they took huge liberties with the story. Hence the tagline noting that it's "loosely based" on the Wired article.

Every diplomat I know who saw it (including myself) thought it was great.

that's because
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2013-01-03 08:46:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's great.

it's not a documentary. it doesn't claim to be. I don't understand the contention of several here that the film should be piled high and burned for not presenting our preferred depiction of the geopolitical climate as it relates to post-Shah Iran.

is our sense of conservatism that delicate? is our sense of patriotism that defensive?

Plus most of the ending *
by DBCooper  (2013-01-02 18:48:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.