Lincoln
by 206er (2013-01-02 12:32:12)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

My choice for best film of 2012. Can you put your choice in the subject line?

Avengers *
by 84david  (2013-01-02 21:32:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sadly, I have not seen a lot of the movies in the running
by Mark_It_Zero  (2013-01-02 19:08:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Movies I have enjoyed watching this year:

Moonrise Kingdom
The Dark Knight Rises
Django Unchained
Skyfall
Lawless
Intouchables

Movies I plan on seeing relatively soon that could take the title:

Silver Linings Playbook
Perks of Being a Wallflower
Argo
Lincoln
The Beasts of the Southern Wild

So far, I would say Intouchables or Moonrise Kingdom was the best I have seen for 2012.

Django Unchained.
by harmonica  (2013-01-02 19:00:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty, the Master, or Beasts of the Southern Wild yet.

Django and Moonrise. The Master and Safety
by Buck Mulligan  (2013-01-02 19:56:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not Guaranteed are right up there.

I have yet to see BSW and ZD30 but I will.

John Carter, Avengers and The Hobbit were enjoyable family fare.

Lincoln.....................
by tag86  (2013-01-02 15:54:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Vampire Killer. The real Lincoln movie.

End of Watch *
by JClarke  (2013-01-02 14:47:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Master *
by bcbp  (2013-01-02 13:31:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Master *
by nkrienke32  (2013-01-02 13:22:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Safety Not Guaranteed 2. Silver Linings Playbook *
by rutfilthygers  (2013-01-02 13:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I would have liked to have known you as a kid."
by Starburns  (2013-01-02 13:35:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I was much less impressive then, I assure you."

Lincoln *
by Section 12  (2013-01-02 13:05:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My favorite from 2012.
by Revue Party  (2013-01-02 13:02:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, and Lincoln.

1. Lincoln, 2. Zero Dark Thirty, 3. Django Unchained, 4 Argo *
by Winter Celtic  (2013-01-02 12:57:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Best Film - Lincoln. Worst Toupee - Tommy Lee Jones.
by mkovac  (2013-01-02 12:50:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure that was intentional, but it was SO obvious. I felt like Austin Powers not wanting to point at the young guy's mole.

It was supposed to be. Thaddeus Stevens had such a hairpiece *
by Winter Celtic  (2013-01-02 12:56:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beasts of the Southern Wild OR Moonrise Kingdom *
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-02 12:47:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Moonrise Kingdown, the most romantic movie of the year
by Allumeuse  (2013-01-03 13:42:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So perfectly sweet for a movie about first love.

My number two is a film I have now watched five times in a week: Pitch Perfect.

I can't get into Wes Anderson
by 206er  (2013-01-02 12:56:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that I've tried...I didn't much like Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums, and haven't seen anything since. Actually rented Moonrise Kingdom a few days ago but didn't get around to seeing it.

If you didn't like Rushmore, I would cut bait
by JPH  (2013-01-02 13:05:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All of his movies follow that same conventions as Rushmore, but none have yet measured up as a total package.

I still enjoy them as Anderson is still making very different movies than anyone else -- it's just that none of his movies are much different from one another.

Although it's been 10 years
by 206er  (2013-01-02 13:51:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My tastes may have changed dramatically. Should give Moonrise a shot.

Just saw Moonrise Kingdom the other day. It's funny,
by Barrister  (2013-01-02 12:52:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because I'm no great movie watcher, and I only knew of the film's existence because I was on a JetBlue flight from San Juan, PR to St. Thomas, USVI in October.

Once you leave the lower 48, JetBlue's TVs are out of satellite range, so you only get the movie channels. My daughter was watching Brave for the 5th time, so I tried the other channels in my seat--one was Dark Knight dubbed in Spanish, and the other was Moonrise Kingdom.

It's a 14 minute flight, so I didn't get far beyond the opening credits, but it intrigued me, so we rented it last week.

I really, really liked the film. I expected it to be "Tenenbaums Take Nantucket" but while it was visually similar, the story was a really nice one, and the kids played their roles quite well.

The Dark Knight Rises
by Irishboy89  (2013-01-02 12:42:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though there are several movies out right now that I haven't seen that seemed to have potential- Argo, Flight, Les Mis, The Hobbit, and Lincoln

...sucks.
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-02 12:49:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Let the gamesh begin!"

Why is the villain a flamboyant asthmatic terrorist?

..less than The Hobbit. *
by Wooderson  (2013-01-02 13:00:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disagree
by El Kabong  (2013-01-02 13:51:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saw both. The Hobbit wasn't nearly as bad as some here advertised.

Same.
by harmonica  (2013-01-02 19:04:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I actually really liked the Hobbit. It was far from perfect and seriously flawed, but I thought it was pretty well done and only a little disappointing.

Neither is Dark Knight Rises
by DakotaDomer  (2013-01-02 14:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were both disappointments but I can rewatch Dark Knight Rises on planes, tv, etc...I've seen The Hobbit twice and I don't imagine I will again for another year.

I've said it before
by ACross  (2013-01-02 14:38:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I just don't understand why grown-ass men love superhero movies so goddamned much.

Or fantasy movies for geeks like The Hobbit. And I'd rather see "Beaches" than watch "Game of Thrones."

And I have little use for most series that people go gaga over, like The Wire or Lost or Or Mad Men Smoking Chesterfields.

I must confess, however, that I had no desire to see "Lincoln" either, and prefer Oasis to the Beatles.

your generalizations are correct but ignore huge caveats
by ndlarryj  (2013-01-03 10:38:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, just about all superhero movies are lame, but none of Christopher Nolan's movies are.

And just about all network tv is awful, Lost especially, but David Simon isn't your average idiot Hollywood producer.

Just about all Irish music / musicians suck, but Bono seems to know what he's doing.

This seems highly subjective
by DakotaDomer  (2013-01-02 16:18:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why do you think we love superhero movies so goddamned much? How much is so goddamned much? Do we like them more than Sex? Football? Scotch? Dogs? Weed? Pizza? All I learned from your post is that you like Oasis, but do you "love Oasis so goddamned much?"

You dislike things other people like...that doesn't make you shocking, it makes you normal.

Pointing it out repeatedly makes you a hipster.

You have said it before
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-02 15:46:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you looking for an answer? I assume you're not, and that's cool -- but if you are I'll do my best.

In order to claim "Oasis > Beatles" you must state your
by Wooderson  (2013-01-02 14:49:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

preferred Gallagher brother for full disclosure.

Noel
by ACross  (2013-01-02 15:38:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then again, I play the axe. And part of their appeal is that their songs are easy for me to play.

I like you whole lot more for that exchange.
by RandalGraves  (2013-01-02 16:00:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Full on Noel mancrush here.

Funniest rocker out there by far, as well.

You chose well. Carry on. *
by Wooderson  (2013-01-02 15:47:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(sigh) probably true. *
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-02 13:02:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sigh...almost certainly true *
by DakotaDomer  (2013-01-02 13:44:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't mind the villian but the plot holes are big enough..
by Mobster  (2013-01-02 12:54:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to drive the neutron bomb they drove around for months on end through.

That must've been one of the "gamesh."
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-02 13:05:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He talked like his Patrick Stewart imitation from Nemesis.

Lincoln *
by Khaddafi  (2013-01-02 12:39:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.