Sartorial golf inquiry - Casual shoe or more classic cleat?
by Bailey (2013-01-02 10:17:16)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I received a gift card to my club and need new shoes for this season. I wear black cleats and always have. I'm in my thirties and still don't own a white belt. If my club allowed it, I'd wear metal spikes. Plus, living in Pennsylvania, I tend to play on hilly courses and not always in perfect weather.

However, tour pros and club pros all seem to be on board with casual. Perhaps that's to sell product, perhaps it's for comfort, I can't decide.

Has anyone made the switch?

Thanks for all the replies.
by Bailey  (2013-01-03 09:58:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree that adidas is the most comfortable shoe out there. I'll be looking into the eccos though as well.

I wear and endorse Etonic G Sok spikeless spike shoes.
by ProV1x  (2013-01-02 15:39:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wear any color golf shoe you want, they're your feet and no one gives a damn. I'm partial to black saddle or B&W saddles but I have a couple dozen or more pair of golf shoes.

Haven't worn golf shoes in more than ten years.
by dbldomer7375  (2013-01-02 10:38:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my playing partners, a scratch golfer, did not wear golf cleats, but regular athletic shoes. Said he didn't notice the difference between spikes and athletic shoes. I switched and haven't noticed any difference in my game either.

Have you ever tried ones that are built like sneakers?
by pmcdnd96  (2013-01-02 10:32:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bought a pair a couple years ago and they are much more comfortable than the old "shoe" type ones I used to have. I don't think they look all that great, but then again, neither do my scores.

Adidas adiPure or powerband
by NizzleBoPeep  (2013-01-02 10:27:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Adidas makes the best all around golf shoe. Also, they are somewhat sylish and not your dad's golf shoe. You will pay a little more but they are well worth the $. By the way, why do you wear black golf shoes? I can't fathom any reason to wear black golf shoes with shorts!

adiPure is the most comfortable
by otter05  (2013-01-02 16:58:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

golf shoe i've ever owned. they aren't cheap, but they are absolutely worth it.

also have the adidas casual one with nubs on it. they're a good, less expensive shoe.

I prefer Champion. *
by tdiddy07  (2013-01-02 14:29:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Second Adidas
by terramarirish  (2013-01-02 11:39:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm on my 3rd pair of Tour 360s and can't really fathom buying another type of golf shoe. They're at a lower price point than the adipure, look great and are comfortable right out of the box.

Edit: OP should pony up for a white belt (recommend Adidas trophy 2.0) and white hat to go with his white shoes.

I have a pair of black adipures.
by Bailey  (2013-01-02 10:35:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know wearing black shoes with shorts is just bad. So I'm thinking of going casual.

This is one area in which I am in total agreement with the
by ACross  (2013-01-02 11:06:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

late bergen.

Black shoes are just bad unless you are in a suit or a tux or in jeans.

Black golf shoes - bad. Black sneakers - bad. Black athletic socks - bad.

What kind of black shoes with jeans? And, I'm sure
by rick  (2013-01-02 11:52:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is s Chuck Taylor exception to the no black sneakers rule.

I guess I'm too old to think a white belt looks good under any circumstance. It reminds me of the 1970's white belt/white loafers/leisure suit look, which was very popular with high school teachers and administrators.

Good man. I have a black and white pair of adipure
by NizzleBoPeep  (2013-01-02 10:42:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't imagine a better/ more comfortable pair of golf shoes.

It really depends.........
by Ty Webb  (2013-01-02 10:22:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I typically wear more traditional saddles, etc.

But I do own a pair of more casual looking shoes that are very comfortable. When we went to Bandon Dunes two years ago, I brought them to wear for a round or two because it's a walking course.

However, I've found that the comfort in the more traditional shoes are getting better. I like Callaway shoes as they seem to mix some nicer traditional looking shoes with comfort. Ecco's are the best IMO but pricey.

I love Eccos
by Lafayette12  (2013-01-02 15:23:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have two pair - the spikeless kind that Couples wears, and then an updated traditional look with replaceable soft spikes. Both are great shoes. Best place to buy Eccos is on Zappos - I paid around $120 for each pair on sale, while the regular price of each was $190. Right now you can get really good deals.

Does the casual pair hold up well from walking?
by Bailey  (2013-01-02 10:37:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I prefer to walk when playing in the evenings and I ride on the weekends or in the morning. Is the grip on the bottom of you casual shoes good or decent on hilly courses or inclement weather?

I have had no problems.......
by Ty Webb  (2013-01-02 10:48:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One thing to note, some of the more casual shoes aren't waterproof.

I had a pair that I lost on a trip that were lightweight and great for walking but the trade off was they were made with breathable materials and not waterproof.

I think they were adidas.

I've been playing in Ecco's for years.
by irishnyer  (2013-01-02 10:31:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They have traditional looking shoes as well as the new Freddy shoes which have been improved upon a couple years ago.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.