Anyone familiar with the ND summer soccer camp?
by volley (2013-01-02 10:12:56)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

We received a brochure in the mail and now my 12YO twins are dying to go. It's a bit of an investment for us, and we live five hours away, so I want to make sure it's worth it. There are camps that are closer and cheaper, but wouldn't be the same as being on the ND campus.

It's more than others, but my daughter loved every second
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2013-01-02 12:56:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wanted her to go just to get to spend some time on campus. She went with one of her best friends, and that is something I'd highly encourage because we found out they keep the kids so busy that they really don't do much outside of soccer. They're exhausted by the end of the day, so I'm not sure it's the easiest environment to hang out and meet new kids. They do, but during the day.

My niece (ND '15) went when she was in junior high. Great
by irishhawk49  (2013-01-02 11:14:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Experience. As noted, mainly being on campus. Your daughters will have a fun
Time. Also, this is the age to do it. Once they reach high school the allure of this sort
Of experience often evaporates.

It depends on what you'd like your twins to get out of the
by Section 12  (2013-01-02 11:14:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

experience. If it's development cut you budget by 3/4 and find the most talented high school player in the area for individualized sessions with an empahasis technical skill development. You'd be amazed what high schoolers can teach and the enthusiasm they'll generate at $25.00 an hour. If they still love the game and excell at it in three years then camps can be a good investment as coaches are there to identify talent for scholarship offers. If on the other hand your looking at the camp experience as all around growth experience with them learning how to adapt being away from home and dealing with new and challenging experiences than ND's camps are better than most.

This is excellent advice. Good summary of cost/benefit any
by irishhawk49  (2013-01-02 11:19:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

summer sports camp.

My daughter has been twice
by reilly  (2013-01-02 10:56:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and has really enjoyed it. She went the last two summers, when she was 14 and 15 years old. The first summer, it was really hot (as in well over 100 degrees), and they stayed in an unairconditioned dorm (BP). We are from the deep south, so she is used to playing in the heat, but sleeping in it was another matter. She still had a great time though.

In terms of soccer instruction, it is probably not something you could not find closer to home. They have coaches from other colleges and players from both ND and other places coach the girls. But the experience of living, eating and playing on the ND campus was really special. They have a camp all-star game, and (at the risk of seeming to brag) my daughter played in this both years. They got to use the players' locker room, wear their jerseys, etc. for the all-star game, which was really special for my daughter. Although she is not a national team player and, therefore, has no chance of actually playing at ND, it was neat for her to have that experience.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.