Comcast people....Help!!! - I made the switch from
by seano (2013-01-02 09:42:25)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

DirecTV, ATT, DSL to a Comcast Triple Play package. Installation went well. Phone number was ported, internet worked, and whole home DVR was installed. I was pleasantly surprised with the installation Tech and his customer service was great.

Did a speed test on the internet, and it's 10X faster than the DSL I had. Beautiful. Tested the phone and it worked fine (my wife insists on having a phone line in the house). And, then I went to the TV...

WTF is up with the guide. Holy hell, that thing is a mess. I have ESPN, then 20 miscellaneous channels, than ESPN 2 then 8 more channels of other stuff and then ESPN News. It has to be the most disorganized thing I've ever seen. Plus the interface itself looks like something from the early 90's.

Is this going to change at some point in time?

Also, HD looks great except on the local HD channels. Does anyone know why that would be happening?

I have 30 days to decide. The guide is terrible, the pricing is great for everything I'm getting. DTV was getting really expensive and they just didn't seem too interested in keeping my business.

Send back their crappy DVR. Buy a TiVo *
by KelleyCook  (2013-01-03 13:51:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The channel hell is the only bad thing in my experience, but
by sprack  (2013-01-02 11:32:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also have TiVo which greatly improves things.

That's a local issue
by Domer84  (2013-01-02 11:17:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My folks have Comcast in Chicago and their channels are as messed up as yours. You basically have to memorize where the different channels are located in order to flip around.

Here in Mississippi, however, the channels are fairly well organized. All of our local stations, including PBS and WGN, are included in the first 13 stations. All but one keep the actual channel number that they would have on a regular TV. All of the ESPN stations are contiguous. All of the do-it-yourself stations are together as are the shopping channels. The free movie stations like TMC and AMC are close as are all of the Encore stations.

I have no idea why some local comcast affiliates have the channels so poorly organized.

In South Bend, you could navigate to the SD channel
by shea  (2013-01-03 08:54:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then press "Select" twice to automatically switch to HD. I don't know if this is the case in Chicago. Cablevision does it right in NY - their boxes force HD on both the HD and SD channel numbers on an HD box.

Comcast Chicago HD organization is a cluster
by JPH  (2013-01-02 13:01:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been a Comcast customer in Philly, Boston, and Chicago. Philly -- take your normal channel, add 800 to it, and it mostly kinda works. All sports channels are clumped in a tight bunch, which is a huge help. Boston, add 700 and it kinda works, too, though the sports channels could be tightened up.

Chicago, good luck! No rationale or forethought, utter randomness. I got so frustrated that my folks were still watching in SD on their new HD TV that I made an HD "conversion chart." Laminated that jammy, too!

How could there not be a more consistent best-practice sharing across markets?

DirecTV does the same. In Denver it was organized
by GailStanwyck  (2013-01-02 11:35:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and here it's a mess.

Exactly correct about Chicago
by sprack  (2013-01-02 11:34:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The channel hell is actually a legacy of Continental Cablevision, which wasn't even consistent within the area.

I was especially fond of the way that
by atlpns  (2013-01-02 10:56:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as you scroll down through the channels you get an insert for a pay per view movie to pass through so you have to memorize or know the channel you want and not just cruise around looking.

When I first signed up years ago w Comcast, all the premium movies were in sequence, same with sports.

I haven't had Comcast for a few years but the ONLY thing I liked about them was that the receiver had an "S video" out so you could record a DVD directly from saved programs and get a decent format.

One of us....one of us.... *
by BacTien  (2013-01-02 10:51:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Welcome to Comcast Hell
by mitquinn  (2013-01-02 10:30:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

competitive pricing with a terrible TV product.

ATT Uverse has the best guide features and technology if you want to use a large cable company.

Not available in my area. *
by seano  (2013-01-02 10:51:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You might want to give the Comcast app a try
by pmoose  (2013-01-02 10:23:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure if it has a way to reorganize the channel views, but it's nice to be able to go to a smart phone/iPad/iPod/etc. and be able to scroll quickly through the guide, then select the station you want.

I had Comcast at home but my wife decided to switch us to UVerse after years of us stating how annoyed we were with Comcast slowly creeping the price up on us every 6-12 months. It's funny because when Xfinity was first introduced, the price stayed constant for about 2 years, but Comcast once again decided to creep the price up on us and my wife decided to make the switch. I do like UVerse more than Comcast for my TV options.

Pretty sure you can star your favorite channels
by goldenchild  (2013-01-02 10:00:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and then have the guide display favorites only. That guide has sucked forever so don't hold your breath waiting for a change.

I highly doubt they'll reorganize the channels.
by NDBass  (2013-01-02 09:50:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is a local thing, though. I thought I read something about the functionality of the guide changing, but I could be wrong. I don't use the guide much, so it isn't a big deal for me.

Comcast starts out cheap, but it sure doesn't stay that way. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2013-01-02 09:48:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just cancelled my TV service because of this.
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2013-01-02 11:04:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had been looking for a reason to cut the cord, and when I was overbilled by $200, then $50, then $40 in consecutive months, I cancelled. With football ending, there's not much reason I need live TV anyway.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.