Attention parents: watch out for "Snapchat"
by Milhouse (2013-01-02 09:24:28)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I learned about this app over the weekend. It's basically a texting and photo app, but whatever you send "self-destructs" after 10 seconds. In other words, once your text is viewed, it cannot be viewed again. As a result, it's apparently quite popular with teenagers -- no evidence for Mom & Dad to find.

While I think it is good to be aware of...
by KeoughCharles05  (2013-01-02 13:18:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure what there is to "watch out for" with things like these. I've seen newsletters and emails that get sent home from grade schools and high schools telling parents to beware of this, that or the other thing that are just woefully outdated, inept, or flat out wrong. Parents should be informed about this stuff, and it helps to know it's out there, but the idea that it should or can simply be forbidden or prevented is naive.

Kids are almost always going to be more on the cutting edge with tech, and are going to find ways to get around any restrictions put in place. On the other hand, teaching and explaining to your kids how to use things like this, or why certain things might be a bad idea (regardless of platform) will never go out of style.

As a bit of humor, our family over the holidays decided that Brett Farve should be snapchat's spokesperson.

Your points are good ones.
by Milhouse  (2013-01-02 13:45:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you note, the kids know more about this stuff than we do, and the best defense is a good upbringing and lots of good discussions about it. Mostly, I wanted to flag this for parents who hadn't heard about it. It was certainly new to me.

I hope people (especially young girls) aren't naive enough..
by Winter Celtic  (2013-01-02 09:46:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... to think that that the photo/text is really going to be gone forever after 10 seconds. Data may be discarded, but once created its elements exists somewhere, unless overwritten. Also (and perhaps more importantly) today's smartphones make it simple to instantly do a "screenshot" of anything you see on your phone, and keeping said image in perpetuity.

True.
by Milhouse  (2013-01-02 09:48:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What I meant was that the text/photo is not accessible via the app. As you point out, it's still out there in the interwebs somewhere. Excellent point about the screenshot as well.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.