2013 Fitness and Alcohol
by mitquinn (2012-12-31 15:37:22)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

What is the proper way to achieve some modest fitness goals while maintaining a decent weekend social life?

I'm not an ultimate drink snob, but light beer is a waste of time purely based on taste.

What is a good way to not to erase too many gains while socializing? Or do I need to just own up to drinking and fitness do not mix?

Are any of the following less damaging than the other:

1). Switch to more wine, but im not sure this would be "more healthy" because of the sugar content.

2). Just have 1-2 heavy beers (10-12%)

3). Have 1-2 splashes of choice liquor or in cocktail fashion.

What is your routine when trying to stick to your goals?

Don't drink during the week.
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-01 03:36:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At all. Nothing Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

Limit yourself to five for the weekend -- distributed however you like.

Don't worry too much about alcohol content -- just count "drinks." Do, however, avoid sugary mixers. You can have beer, wine, or hard alcohol, but drink the hard alcohol straight or with a non-caloric mixer.

After you get the weight loss or whatever your goal is started, you can "borrow" from your weekend into your week for special occasions -- birthdays, Cinco de Mayo, whatever. But establish a pattern first.

Try to avoid other junk carbs on the weekend if you're drinking. If you have pizza, chips, or fries, don't drink. If you're like me, you'll find yourself skipping the pizza, chips, and fries. Got to have priorities.

This is compatible with weight loss when combined with diet and exercise the rest of the week.

Drink shochu *
by Shifty  (2012-12-31 23:50:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Try grain alcohol. Seriously.
by PWK2  (2012-12-31 19:39:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have five bottles of Everclear ethyl alcohol (95%) sitting in my home bar. On a blood alcohol-to-calorie ratio, you can't beat it. You can mix it with water if you prefer. The taste is, I would say, not traditional, but quite acceptable after you get used to it. You may even prefer it to neat scotch after a while.

It looks a little funny when you order it in a bar, if the bar even carries it, but it's the right thing to do if you are serious in your question.

Ride the snake *
by NDBass  (2012-12-31 18:16:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This. *
by geoffgeoffers  (2012-12-31 18:37:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Make sleep a top priority
by smsalina  (2012-12-31 17:47:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Atleast 7 hours. Minimum.

Put it in writing, along with your exercise goals.

Whoops. Here's what I meant to post
by smsalina  (2012-12-31 18:04:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As far as alcohol goes, clear liquor on the rocks is probably the best followed by dark liquors.

I would say #1 try and avoid excessive sugar in your booze.

Additionally, I would argue that prioritizing sleep before/after a night of booze will help minimize the effects. If your going to go out drinking avoid having shit to do the next day. Id argue that "powering thru" a hangover and trying to force yourself to be productive when your hungover is additional stress your body does not need. If you want to sweat it out, light strength training and cardio is probably the best route.

With any new years fitness goal I think getting atleast 7 hours of sleep every night is important. Lack of sleep is a great way to slow your fitness goals, especially if those fitness goals have a weight loss component

Grey Goose on the rocks with a twist of lime
by NizzleBoPeep  (2012-12-31 17:38:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And drink tons of water throughout the night, before bed, and early the next morning.

Guinness
by pmcdnd96  (2012-12-31 17:11:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fewer calories than most regular beers.

I have lost 35 pounds since August. Most of my food intake is now lean protein. I eat more veggies than ever before and trying to eliminate all added sugar (meaning I don't limit fruit but I now drink my coffee black.) I haven't exercised at all other than occasional walks.

My point: if you do other things (especially exercise; I will be adding daily workouts starting Monday) you can drink whatever you want in moderation.

I'm not sure I understand your question. You ...
by Rocksteady74  (2012-12-31 16:52:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... most certainly can drink on weekends and be quite fit. Perhaps there is a tradeoff if the fitness goal is high level competition, but otherwise I don't see the conflict.

And light beer is never acceptable in my view.

Hard alcohol, no more than 2 drinks one night per week. *
by Papa November  (2012-12-31 16:38:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anything in particular?
by mitquinn  (2012-12-31 17:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stick to clear alcohols like Vodka?

I like bourbon, any reason to shift away from that?

Nope.
by Papa November  (2012-12-31 19:15:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's no significant difference between hard alcohols. But there is substantial difference between hard alcohol and beer/wine in terms of total caloric content.

That's an awful way to live
by ACross  (2012-12-31 17:39:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For those people never aspire to pose topless.

I actually agree.
by Papa November  (2012-12-31 19:13:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My advice applies to people attempting to radically improve their health and/or physique. And it's actually quite generous. If you're really serious, as I am every year at this time, then my advice is no alcohol, period.

Very good advice except ethyl alcohol is ethyl alcohol.
by ProV1x  (2012-12-31 17:21:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1OZ booze=1 beer as far as alcohol content goes according to the experts.

Not as far as calories and carbs go. *
by Papa November  (2012-12-31 19:11:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was only considering alcohol content. As far as nutrients
by ProV1x  (2012-12-31 19:55:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

go my Scotch/German grandmother used to say a bucket of beer is like a loaf of bread, so beer does have more calories and carbs. (No carbs in booze as you know.)

OT...you probably don't remember back when the old timers would walk to the corner tavern with their buckets and then walk home with them full of beer, but it was very common in the area of the town I grew up in.

That seems awfully strict
by BigCLumber  (2012-12-31 17:09:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As the poster above said, there is a difference between training for competition and training to get in/stay in reasonably good shape. Two drinks is a tad restrictive for those looking to stay in shape, IMO.

The thing about alcohol is not so much the calories
by dbldomer7375  (2012-12-31 16:23:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but that it turns off the "sure I can have another pie, but since I'm trying to watch my weight, let's skip the ice cream" switch.

Not the calories but the reduced judgement about what and how much to eat.

The difference between "light" and regular beers - about 80 calories. Check out the calories for a 12 ounce Guinness. Not that far from a light beer.

It's more about what it does to your metabolism.
by GailStanwyck  (2012-12-31 16:30:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your body can process alcohol out of your system or be an efficient calorie burning machine. Not both.

Very true
by mitquinn  (2012-12-31 17:45:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I've gone over the threshold in the 30s where I have less "bounce back" and have to do more to keep up my metabolism.

My colleagues warned me of this phenomenon and I testify its truth.

A couple thoughts
by BigCLumber  (2012-12-31 16:21:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I consider myself to be a pretty heavy drinker, consuming between 10-20 drinks per week for the past year or so. I have seen some studies and articles that indicate excessive alcohol consumption decreases testosterone production and thereby inhibits muscle growth, but I'm not sure the science backs this up. In my personal experience, I haven't found too much of a drawback in terms of muscle building, as long as I am eating a proper diet otherwise.

To me, that means that the primary way alcohol sabotages your fitness goals is through caloric intake. An calorie from booze is basically a worthless calorie, so anything you don't burn off will go right into your belly as fat. Therefore, my strategy is to 1. Consume drinks with the best "bang for the buck" (i.e. highest concentration of alcohol to calories). And 2. Do cardio several days a week, enough that I am burning at least as many calories as I consumed in alcohol the week before. Assuming 15 drinks at 120 calories a pop, this generally requires about 15 miles of running per week.

My drinks of choice in order are Vodka Soda, Jameson on the Rocks, Crown & Diet coke, Red wine and lastly beer. I try to limit my beer intake whenever possible.

Burn the candle from both ends
by Plaxico  (2012-12-31 16:00:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Skip dinner. Zero food calories and less alcohol needed to get lit.

The downside is that you may wake up sitting in a chair covered in Pizza or Burgers and Fries.

In all seriousness, I agree with Wooderson below re: Vodka Soda. Avoid tonic since it has as much sugar as coke. Also is other suggestion is good too (though you may end up with the same problem as skipping dinner).

Im doing that more often than I realize
by mitquinn  (2012-12-31 16:20:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For work, impromptu social events and living close to Napa/Sonoma. I find myself at gatherings that are unplanned and hard to budget or keep track of where calories have gone during the week/day.

Have to try harder i guess.

I quit drinking calories for 9 months to lose weight
by Dutch  (2012-12-31 15:50:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That hardest part was giving up beer for that long. However, that, combined with more exercise and more reasonably sized dinners helped me lose more pounds than I ever thought I would (I'm now tring to gain weight). Alcohol has calories so you're not going to avoid the calories all togther. I would think that a cocktail mixed with diet soda (gin and diet tonic or Jack and Diet Coke) would probably be your best bet if you don't want to drink straight liquor.

If you can keep it to one night out of the weekend, then
by Irish Tool  (2012-12-31 15:47:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just have it coincide with your cheat day.

Also, right after a workout it's not terrible to have 1 beer. Doesn't help much with socializing but you can at least get your fix.

Of course, there's also always drinking 'til you puke. Combine with working out 'til you puke to get maximum results.

Vodka soda & a lime.
by Wooderson  (2012-12-31 15:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weed is also surprisingly low on calories. As in, it has none.

Drinking like a chick...
by Matty96  (2012-12-31 21:30:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and one with no personality at that.

Tanqueray Martini
Scotch rocks
Bourbon rocks
Bourbon/diet coke
Tanqueray/diet tonic
Wine in moderation,
etc...

All lower cal/lower carb drinks that don't require a skirt and a vapid personality. Make no mistake, people do judge you by your drink order.

Serious question about weed
by Weisman2532  (2012-12-31 16:55:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have only smoked it once, years ago, and can't recall the feeling. Is it comparable to being drunk? I am not trying to spark the whole legalize it/keep it illegal debate, just sincerely curious.
Edit: typo

No, no sloppiness on weed.
by AZDomer  (2012-12-31 21:07:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The sensations have nothing in common.

You did not get high, even though you smoked.
by irishhawk49  (2012-12-31 19:26:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not uncommon to not receive a high from smoking pot the first time. I had a similar
Experience first time. Second .... Oh my, so this is what all the fuss is about.

It heightens your creativity and talent.
by mkovac  (2012-12-31 17:45:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

welreavpersdf werd tyso situs 09345a*34ad!

No, the two are not remotely comparable. *
by BigCLumber  (2012-12-31 17:06:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.