Appliance gurus..........
by Ty Webb (2012-12-31 12:07:08)
Edited on 2012-12-31 12:08:40
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Friend is renovating his kitchen and needs an idea on what's a good appliance company - not cheap but also not Sub-Zero/Viking level either.

He's going to with an induction cooktop, double wall over, dishwasher, fridge and possibly under counter wine fridge.

The builder suggested Bosch for everything. He (and I) have no freaking clue if that's worth it or not. Other options were GE Monogram, Miele (which seems really expensive to me), Jenn Air and LG.

Bosch for dishwasher.
by NDMD  (2012-12-31 15:13:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

GE gives ridiculous direct to contractor pricing. We did Monogram for fridge and wall ovens for that reason. Also monogram wall ovens were the only ones that have all shelves that slide out on ball bearing wheels and will support something like a full turkey.

We went Thermador on the gas cooktop because they're the only one with a extra low setting to for simmer. Did the warming drawer underneath to match.

Miele built in coffee maker.

Ditto on the Bosch dishwasher.
by dbldomer7375  (2012-12-31 15:17:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've had ours for ten years. If they didn't put red lights on the front you could not tell it is operating.

I disagree with both of you and challenge you to a duel
by jt  (2012-12-31 16:44:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it is quiet, that is true. That's about the only good thing I can say.

You must have a dud
by Ty Webb  (2012-12-31 17:04:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My parents have a Bosch and it is the fo shizznit.

And we love our Sharp drawer microwave. *
by NDMD  (2012-12-31 15:17:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone posted friends and family discounts for GE
by inigomontoya  (2012-12-31 14:30:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Awhile ago.

Btw, I bought kitchen aid for kitchen redo, happy with it.

We've been happy with Bosch.
by campuszoo  (2012-12-31 14:16:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our gas range and dishwasher have functioned beautifully and both have been reliable for 5+ years. I do not love the layout and use of space in our GE refrigerator, but it hasn't had a single defect in 10+ years.

We just put Miele stuff in our cabin
by MukIrish  (2012-12-31 12:35:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fantastic stuff. A bit pricey but worth it. The induction cooktop is amazing, and we love the speed oven/microwave combo as well. All Miele except the fridge - Liebherr - that fridge is our favorite appliance ever.

Beautiful. *
by NDMD  (2012-12-31 15:16:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here's how it looks in our place
by MukIrish  (2012-12-31 12:50:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cabin Kitchen

Photos are from our architect's web page.

Wow! Far nicer than my house. *
by NDscott  (2012-12-31 13:40:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cabin? Really?
by dbldomer7375  (2012-12-31 13:30:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would sell my house to live in something like that - full time.

That's really beautiful.

looks like they're really roughing it! *
by Irishlawyer  (2012-12-31 13:34:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pretty sweet
by ACross  (2012-12-31 13:10:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that the 30 inch fridge? I am trying to decide between the 30 inch and the 36 inch.

I don't eat frozen food.

24"
by MukIrish  (2012-12-31 13:17:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is a compact kitchen in a small cabin.

It is plenty big for our needs. It is so well laid out inside and with so many adjustment options it feels bigger than it is.

I really like that style of architecture
by Dutch (click here to email the poster)  (2012-12-31 13:45:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I'm thinking of building something similar in the next 5 to 10 years. Do you have drawings or images you can link to or send that show the interior layout and adjustment options? How many total square feet is it? Thanks.

looks like Danish Modern
by mkovac  (2012-12-31 14:43:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(link) - See the 4th photo down.

As someone designing a house, Houzz is the best site ever *
by Charlottend  (2012-12-31 15:01:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The reclaimed siding inside & out is beautiful.
by voidoid  (2012-12-31 12:54:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very nice abode.

Doing the same thing now
by ACross  (2012-12-31 12:32:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am leaning toward a Liebherr fridge. He should check them out.

I think Bosch makes decent stuff, esp. dishwashers.

Not sure their ranges are as good as he'd like.

Miele wall ovens are pretty sweet.

Same here. Bosch dishwashers are great
by charlottend  (2012-12-31 12:37:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he doesn't care about getting a full suite of appliances from the same brand he can do better by picking the best stainless offering from some of the brand's you mentioned, ie, a Bosch dishwasher, Miele oven etc. Apparently that's becoming more common now, but some will still want all matching.

Anyway other than that, avoid LG like the plague.

I can't stand my bosch dishwasher. I wish we had not bought
by jt  (2012-12-31 16:31:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it. Damn thing cannot dry for shit.

The only advantage to "matching" appliances
by ACross  (2012-12-31 12:53:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Other than appealing to somebody's OCD is that some manufacturers bundle savings per items - $500 off if you buy 2, $1000 if you buy 3.

you won't regret the Liebherr if you go that route *
by MukIrish  (2012-12-31 12:36:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Consider Kitchen Aid
by bucket  (2012-12-31 12:30:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same company as Jenn-Air, but different product offerings. Both of those companies (and Maytag) are all produced by Whirlpool.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.