Atticus refers to this
by wetbird (2012-12-30 20:13:32)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

as the most beautiful 15 minutes in music. I agree:

Let's call it "Love, Actually. The Musical."
by Atticus  (2012-12-30 22:11:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That might draw the youngsters into a lifetime of enjoyment. Alfhoigh I haven't seen the movie, I can well imagine it deals with the same topic.

The linked clip immediately precedes the 15 minutes and is almost as perfect as what follows and it is a lesson in how music can tell a story and can carry us right down past the brain and into the heart. One needs understand not a word of what follows to feel the flirtatious interplay between Mimi and Rodolfo gather, swell, and crash like a wave on the beach into, well, love, actually. There is no more joyous, innocent, and complete symbiosis of music and song as is contained here. If there is, I have yet to hear it. Claude Lévi-Strauss's claimed that “the invention of melody is the supreme mystery of man” who are we to argue?

wetbird, someday, long after we are gone, a few of the whippersnappers around here will be thinking back to those two old coots who introduced them to the opera. And we will be justified.

http://youtu.be/EKQujWlECsg

Love actually amidst the grinding poverty
by wetbird  (2012-12-31 09:57:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the Bohemians in the story.

One of my favorite arias is the "Overcoat Aria" from the final act where Colline (the philosopher) is saying goodbye to the overcoat he is about to pawn to buy medicine for the dying Mimi.

I sometimes think that along with the music this particular opera has such a hold on me because I've "been there...done that".

While typing this I flashed on a scene in New Mexico where I explained to my landlord while paying the rent (on time) that up until the night before I had no idea how I was going to pay when someone dropped in to my house unexpectedly and bought a painting.

Here's the video
by Atticus  (2012-12-30 22:32:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I found it. Luciano and Mirella. It begins at the 8 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/BWLK9kcwAiA

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.