Django Unchained
by mkovac (2012-12-30 18:03:22)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

It's a cartoon.

One good white guy - the German.

Every other one is bad, bad, bad.

Tarantino in another orgy of blood and violence. I don't think this one will be considered as one of his best.

Yet another paean to spaghetti westerns.

Ok, Quentin. I get it.

Our views diverge.
by Porpoiseboy  (2013-01-01 11:50:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not true on the white guy - the U.S. Marshalls are all presented as good, upstanding people. Obviously, they were minor characters, though. But to your point, who were the white guys? Two plantation owners, some overseers, and the band of "KKK" guys. Did you think it a stretch that those types of characters would be characterized as bad?

Personally, I did not see a huge difference between this movie's group of bounty hunters and Basterd's group of Nazi hunters. However, I did not hear you wailing when Pitt had no black men in his group. So I am not sure why Django has upset you so.

My thoughts:

1) Taratino does not get anywhere near as much out of Leo as Scorsese does.
2) When Scorsese threw the Irish a bone in The Departed, I liked it. Tarantino throwing African-Americans a bone in Django doesn't bother me.
3) Westerns as a whole have never been known much for subtlety. I have no real issue with this movie being over-the-top.
4) I agree with you that Django won't be considered one of Quentin's best, and I would throw Basterds in the same group. However, I found both entertaining, enjoyed both a lot, and will watch both again and again in the future.
5) I haven't seen any huge transitions in Quentin's movies from Resevoir Dogs til now. What is it people are looking for? When did Quentin stop doing what he's always done? When did his schtick get old? I don't think he's changed much at all, does good work, and makes interesting stories.

in fact - the "worst guy"
by cujaysfan  (2013-01-01 12:01:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was probably samuel l jackson's character

and i don't think it's a spoiler to anyone that SLJ is black

Agreeance
by lambconnection  (2013-01-02 09:16:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Django even references this earlier in the movie when the German tells him he's going to be playing the role of a black slave owner. Django complains that black slave owners are the lowest of the low, even worse than the head house slave (Sam Jackson's character).

I gave up on him a long time ago.
by Austin316  (2012-12-30 20:06:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When he decided to team up with Eli Roth, I knew I'd made the right decision.

It's a shame. I'm usually a huge fan of blaxploitation movies, but I can't bring myself to give Tarantino any more of my time or money.

Pffft, the hasn't been a good blaxploitation movie
by LocalSubAlum  (2012-12-30 21:29:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since Blacula.

You obviously haven't seen Black Belt Jones.
by Austin316  (2012-12-30 21:48:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not to mention Super Fly, The Mack, or of course, Scream Blacula Scream

Have you seen Black Dynomite?
by anthro_domer  (2012-12-31 10:30:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a spoof of blaxploitation movies, but it's fantastic.

Yes. It's one of the greatest artistic achievements
by Austin316  (2012-12-31 11:49:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the history of mankind.

Obviously I was joking since most of Pam Grier's movies
by LocalSubAlum  (2012-12-30 22:05:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

came after Blacula (1972)

um, Dolemite on line 1. *
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-30 21:47:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess I do like it then. *
by Mark_It_Zero  (2012-12-30 20:22:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You took the unorthodox step of seeing the movie
by Buck Mulligan  (2012-12-30 20:28:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before sharing an opinion.

How dare you?

For what it's worth, I wasn't offering an opinion on the
by Austin316  (2012-12-30 20:53:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

movie. Just on Tarantino.

White guilt wasn't my reaction. It was entertaining as hell.
by Buck Mulligan  (2012-12-30 19:02:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And certainly thought-provoking from oblique perspectives, not just the obvious ones.

I just got home after seeing it.
by Mark_It_Zero  (2012-12-30 18:56:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am not sure if I love it or think it's too much. I may have to watch it again to decide. It is not awful, but it may try too hard. I'm not sure about it yet.

My 20 year old niece said she really enjoyed it.
by PabloFanque  (2012-12-30 18:52:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But then she's 20 years old.

I really enjoyed it.
by harmonica  (2012-12-30 18:58:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But then I'm 20 years old.

I somewhat enjoyed watching it
by jt  (2012-12-30 21:07:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am not 20 years old.

Some decent action.

Disappointing to hear.
by Wooderson  (2012-12-30 18:16:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A story along these lines could be insanely gripping if done properly. I'm no screenwriter, but as I do have a history degree, read tons of stuff on the civil war, and enjoy narrative fiction, I had the thought many years ago that you could make an awesome movie out of this.

Take a black runaway slave, in the vein of Harriet tubman, coming back to the south to free his family, pursued by a bounty hunter, set against the Union advance into the south.

As he comes back north with the fam, the bounty hunter catches him at a union camp. Rain falls, union soldiers shrug their shoulders and refuse to assist the bounty hunter ( set it Round 1863-ish), and it's one on one with blunt weapons fighting for freedom.

That'd be a solid 2 hr movie. Dunno where Quentin took it, but I hope it had some of that.

Don't let me stop you from seeing it.
by mkovac  (2012-12-30 18:38:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are gripping scenes of the mistreatment of slaves. I would say it's worth seeing from that perspective.

The white guilt of Tarantino is over the top, in my opinion. I don't think this is a "healing" movie in any respect.

Perhaps he's overcompensating (apologizing?) after getting
by socal_doubledomer74  (2012-12-30 20:38:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

called out for his liberal and unnecessary use of the n word. Or it's another of his revenge fantasy like Inglourious Basterds? Who's next? Armenians versus Turks?

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.