What is the deal w/ waffles and chicken? Weird *
by Caber (2012-12-30 10:40:46)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Semi OT: Leading US waffle mix co. is HQd in South Bend
by NDGrad2007  (2012-12-31 00:17:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Carbon's Golden Malted is a South Bend company. They provide the waffle irons and mix to virtually every major hotel and restaurant chain, as well as thousands of independent diners.

A couple of ND grads are on the board.

Yep, formerly headquartered in Buchanan
by LocalSubAlum  (2012-12-31 08:08:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the original name was F.S. Carbon Co.

A really strange family dynamic amongst the previous owners. *
by Section 12  (2012-12-31 08:30:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I take it the Carbon family doesn't own it anymore?
by LocalSubAlum  (2012-12-31 08:59:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a story to relate about one of the Carbons. Back in 1980, I had a part-time job at a gas station in Niles. One Sunday afternoon, one of the Carbons (I won't say which), came in and pulled up to the full service island. When I went out to pump his gas, he told me to fill it up with leaded premium. Since his car was labeled for unleaded fuel, I told him I couldn't do that. He insisted he wanted leaded premium and when I still refused, he got out of the car and said, "Get out of the way, I'll do it myself." So, I went inside and turned off the switch to the pump.

Angry, he came inside and said, "I'm going over to the self serve island. If you shut that pump off, I'll punch you f***ing face!" Of course, I shut that pump off, too. Fuming, he came back inside and said, "What's Gary's (the owner) home phone number?" I picked up the phone, called my boss and told him what happened, including the threat. My boss said "Let me talk to him." I handed him the phone and he (Carbon) didn't say anything except, "yes...yes... yes, okay". He then handed me the phone and said, "LSA, Gary wants to talk to you."

My boss then told me that while it was illegal for me to pump the leaded fuel into his car, if he wanted to pump it himself, he didn't care if he pumped water into it. He said he also told him that if he ever threatened me or any of his employees again, he would press charges against him. Mr. Carbon was very nice to me whenever he came in after that.

Sunday mornings in Bedford Stuyvesant
by Atticus  (2012-12-30 18:23:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once upon a time, I was very active in Brooklyn Democratic politics. I was also a revert to Catholicism and had (still have, I hope) the zeal of a convert. That zeal, along with my political acquaintances, would land me invitations to address Sunday morning services at the African American churches in my borough.

I loved those streets on Sunday mornings. What had been the night before crowded with partiers and low-lifes were now busy with well-dressed church goers. There were generally two types of stores in proximity to the church I would be invited to speak (or testify) - a breakfast restaurant and a ladies millinery shop for the ladies' hats. The restaurants would always have chicken and waffles on the menu and cater to the parishoners. But I, being an urban working class Irishman, would have the bacon and eggs.

But still, the combination does not strike me as odd. De gustibus etc.

"Does Anybody Still Wear A Hat"
by IrishJoeinnc  (2012-12-31 09:34:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the best thing that ever happened to me. (link)
by geoffgeoffers  (2012-12-30 18:05:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's the deal with peanuts on airplanes? *
by sprack  (2012-12-30 16:07:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's the deal with snakes on a plane? *
by breadman  (2012-12-30 17:34:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Try it and you'll understand, but be careful.
by jakam31  (2012-12-30 14:20:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everytime I eat Chicken and Waffles, passing out occurs almost immediately thereafter.

They're damn delicious.

don't let the smooth taste fool you *
by jt  (2012-12-30 15:07:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's delicious. Anyone in Cincy must try Taste of Belgium
by MarnMav  (2012-12-30 13:45:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their waffles alone are like nothing you've ever had. So freaking good. Add the seasoned fried chicken breast with a little hot sauce and syrup....Oh my God I am hungry now.

Wow, I was just going to post this.
by ndtiger  (2012-12-30 14:21:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Taste of Belgium has amazing food. Unfortunately, the service there can be very spotty (to be charitable).

I tend to agree about the spotty service but
by MarnMav  (2012-12-30 14:33:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if I am there for lunch during the week it is usually pretty slow and can get quick service from the bartender.

I would love to try their other food, but I just can't bring myself to order anything else but the chicken and waffle!
And I usually leave with a bag of waffles for later. Damn they are good.

Take a break one day for the burger, it's really good. *
by ndtiger  (2012-12-30 15:47:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its been around for quite some time
by mitquinn  (2012-12-30 13:35:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

out here in CA, I remember going to Roscoe's as a kid.

Thats been a chain since the 1970s, but soul cafes have been serving the dish long before then.

I think its just becoming popular with the "things white people like" trend of hipsterdom.

Whitest post ever? Or maybe LSA's is *
by DakotaDomer  (2012-12-30 11:31:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes me proud to be black.
by ArasEra  (2012-12-30 13:43:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Say it loud.

I think of both you and LocalSubAlum as brothers
by SWPaDem  (2012-12-30 14:56:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in a cosmic, i.e., not of this earth, sense - literally.

Thanks, bro.
by ArasEra  (2012-12-30 17:25:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like to think of us as cosmic homies, too.

Nothing will ever surpass "Can I get NPR on my smartphone?" *
by Papa November  (2012-12-30 11:47:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...while wearing my North Face *
by Exit77  (2012-12-30 12:13:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll try. How smart is a Smartphone-what will it do? *
by IrishJoeinnc  (2012-12-30 11:52:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The cafeteria...
by Porpoiseboy  (2012-12-30 11:04:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois was serving it back in '95-6 when I was there. It was amazing how unhealthy their food was (and probably still is).

I tried it once at Hash Hash a Go GO in Vegas
by bphweather  (2012-12-30 11:04:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I barely ate half of it, but it was very good.

Its' a wonderful dish
by Kayo  (2012-12-30 11:00:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A cardiologist cringes somewhere in the world every time it's ordered, but it tastes great.

At the suggestion of the All Wise Backroom
by Twinkie the Kid  (2012-12-30 12:02:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to Cafe Dufrain while in Tampa for business. I had their chicken and waffles dish, and it was fantastic.

I don't know, K.
by LocalSubAlum  (2012-12-30 11:10:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love chicken and I love waffles, but the two of them together? That just sounds awful.

I've had it before. The contrasting tastes work well. *
by FtWorthIrish  (2012-12-30 11:33:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That sounds terrible. *
by LocalSubAlum  (2012-12-30 10:48:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chicken and waffle joints are popping up around Chicago *
by Caber  (2012-12-30 10:58:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.