Johnny Lujack's plaque at the College Football Hall of Fame
by riggsy23 (2012-12-29 22:49:29)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Photo's from the College Football Hall of Fame - Johnny Lujack's plaque - won't be in South Bend anymore...

Late lok at this post + link...BUT does the fact that
by so-it-goes  (2012-12-30 21:25:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Alabama player (at the row below and one plaque to the left) is looking up at Lujack with a not very happy face bring good vibes / omen of good things for the Irish on 1/7???

Go Irish..and Happy New year to all!

Nice photo. I have a photography question for you...
by Dan93  (2012-12-29 23:14:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What lens and aperture setting are you using for these types of close up photos with the narrow depth of field? I especially like your photos of fences and Christmas ornaments which show the same effect as this Lujack plaque photo. I also have a Canon DSLR camera and wondered how I can get the same effect. Thanks.

Canon lens
by Riggsy23  (2012-12-30 00:37:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you for your comments! On these types of photos I am using a 50mm lens with a low f stop. The low f stop (1.8 for example) creates a shallow depth of field. If you want to achieve a similar effect, I recommend the canon 50mm 1.8 lens...it's relatively inexpensive and a great lens.

I just bought one for my Nikon. Thanks and great job! *
by NicevilleFlIrish  (2012-12-30 01:30:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wider the aperture (lower the f-number), the narrower the
by Tommy Baseball  (2012-12-29 23:58:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

depth of field.

So, I imagine these shots are low f-numbers, short (relatively) exposure times.

The way I always remember this is that pin-hole cameras have very large depths-of-field. If you wear glasses, take them off and then make a very small hole to look through with your index finger. If you look through the small hole, things will appear more in focus.

That is a great reminder--and trick...
by kbyrnes  (2012-12-30 00:29:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I have pretty decent vision, but anything closer than 10 inches to my face gets very blurry without glasses, and anything over 10 feet starts to blur a bit.

I just punched a tiny hole in a receipt with a ballpoint pen and tried reading through it at about 6 inches--no problem! (Other than having to move along word by word.)

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.